• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hi-Tec Figaro

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So, if you've followed my videos you'll notice I went a year playing in some boot style Merrell's, then switched to the Merrell Trail Gloves just recently.

I was on the hunt for a pair of shoes in between the two, leaning closer to the Trail Glove, but offering more support while remaining light and low profile.

I wanted them to be cheap so I could buy 3 pairs for under 150$, and I wanted them to have a Vibram sole because nothing else I've tried grips as well.

I came across a brand I had never heard of on my hunt, Hi-Tec. The Figaro model looked like exactly what I wanted, so at 40$ I decided to give them a shot.

Here's a quick first impressions video. So far I have nothing bad to say about them except the pull tab thing I mention. I've used them for four rounds and 4 hours of field work so far and they're feeling even better as they break in. I'm planning to order some more of them since I get the impression they'll hold up long enough to justify 40$ a pair.

Anyone else have any experience with this brand? I bought these not knowing what to expect and am impressed so far, but of course with only 4 rounds on them its tough to comment on long term durability.

I've put about 30-35 rounds on my Figaro's and absolutely love them! I thought for sure the sole would come apart from the shoe, but NO problems yet.

I've been wearing Hi-Tec brand mid hikers for years. My experience is that they have been comfortable and hold up very well. Not familiar with the Figaros but if they are like their hikers I've worn in the past they should do well. I didn't think that the ones I've had in the past had Vibram soles tho but they may have. I'm currently wearing a pair of Red Head (Bass Pro brand) low hikers. They are okay but I liked my Hi-Tecs better.

Hmm... interesting. I've had good luck with mine in the past but it's been a couple of years since I have owned a pair. I hope that their quality has not declined.

These were an under $40 pair from Academy. I am sure the ones Mike is using are of much higher quality.

I've been playing in these for a few months. They are holding up great after 50+ rounds. I do feel like they are more prone to slips than my merrell moabs. The hi-tec site has them for 29.99 for small feet.

I've been playing in these for a few months. They are holding up great after 50+ rounds. I do feel like they are more prone to slips than my merrell moabs. The hi-tec site has them for 29.99 for small feet.

The video on the site said "VEE-brum" soles. Have I been saying that wrong all this time?

These have done well the last few rainy rounds. Did Nevin in a steady downpour, Winget dubs with wet tees and fairways, then Renny Gold in similar condition to Winget. Didn't have any slipping issues, even going up and down the sides of wet hills, grass or dirt.

Decided I'll order some extra pairs, they seem to be working out well enough to justify it at their pricepoint.

The only wear I've noticed is on the right side of my right foots sole, wear I pivot. I saw a bit of the tread wearing down there but thats to be expected. If they wear abnormally quick I'll update this thread, but right now it seems in line with how any other shoe would wear there.

They've done a surprisingly good job of keeping my feet dry. They didn't get wet during any of those rounds, even if the shoes themselves got wet enough to need to stay in the garage overnight. Nice bonus considering I didn't buy them for water resistance. I've found looking for waterproof shoes exclusively limits my options, generally increases the price, and doesn't make a big difference during a round if I keep an eye out for puddles.

As far as fit goes, they have the perfect amount of width for me. Length is comfortable, but just the tiniest bit long feeling. Usually my right shoe feels that way and the left is snug since my feet are size 13 and 13.5 respectively. Not quite enough extra room that I'll order a 12.5 though.

Last edited:
are they true to size? How do they compare to other brands? I'm between an 11 and 11.5 in Keens, but they usually run wide. In new balance I wear an 11.5E.

are they true to size? How do they compare to other brands? I'm between an 11 and 11.5 in Keens, but they usually run wide. In new balance I wear an 11.5E.

My last new balances (minimus) were 11.5. A 12 would have probably offered a better spread for my toes. I have these in a 12, and they fit well. they don't seem super wide though. probably a D width.

Yes.

The regular width fits my feet very well. I've never had to go wider than typical with any brands.

The length is just a tiny bit longer than expected, but not enough to make me consider a 12.5. I just notice a touch more wiggle room for my toes, but its still a very comfortable fit. I'd recommend ordering your regular size.

I went a head and ordered a second pair of these. I've been very happy with them so far.

I played a few courses in the rain with both these and the trail gloves, and there is a big difference in grip alone. Playing Renaissance Park with wet tees & greens I slid a bit in the Trail Gloves, but never in the Figaros.

Second pair looks good.

I have some Keen's coming in a week or two I'll compare to these Hi Tec's, and some Merrell replacements at some point too. The tan boot style shoes I was using last year and early 2014 started ripping between the sole and the upper on the inside, so I sent them in for a warranty exchange.

I might give these a shot, for the price they seem like a good deal. The sphikes also look nice, anyone have experience with those?

Step brother bought a pair a few months ago. We played in a tournament that came down a mountain and it was quiet wet. Actually ruined the shoes. The inside liner came apart. He loved the shoes though. Just dont take them down the mountain I guess.

I might give these a shot, for the price they seem like a good deal. The sphikes also look nice, anyone have experience with those?

I ordered a pair of sphikes on Friday, needed something waterproof and the they looked good especially for 50$ off on us.hi-tech.com. I will post on here after I get them and get a chance to play a few rounds in them as well.

Last edited: