• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Desert Distance Challenge 2016

Rob, you say that Simon and David agree, but they were just on a live podcast a couple days ago and their position could not have been more different than yours. Simon said that him and David agreed, "there was no point of holding another one of these." Stating what everyone is thinking. Nobody is going to top the 1100, and the potential of a World record throw is the entirety of the event's allure. I respect the idea of sticking with tradition, but from a business standpoint you'd be making a mistake not to evolve the event. If you don't, this may be the last time anyone has a meaningful discussion about it. "Joe Blow breaks personal best and throws 12th furthest drive ever," isn't a very intriguing headline.

Rob has the video of simon and david in the discmania motor home. Both agreed that is was kinda a joke and luck. Simon basically said that he has no issue with David breaking his record his issue is that his new +900ft throw was broken not by 20 or 30 feet but by 200ft and in normal competition their drives are nearly identical.

This is just my two cents, but I think the problem with the regard for the accomplishments at this years HDC is that anyone is claiming that they are a "World Record." Don't get me wrong, I think its pretty cool, but I doubt many really give it any more credit than it is worth. It is a competition specifically designed to take advantage of the wind. Whining about the wind aided nature of the competition is silly.

Personally, I'd like to see a competition off the top of El Capitan to see who could throw the furthest across Yosemite Valley, or down Pike's Peak. I'd love to see distance throwers given the opportunity to compete for distnace down a mountain slope somewhere. These would all be fun. Even roller-only competitions on a paved surface, maybe an airport runway somewhere. But the winner of those competitions should pretty much only be regarded as the winner of those individual competitions. Not a "Distance Champion," but a "HDC" champion. Not a "World Record" but a HDC record. For a "World Record" I'd personally like to see who can really throw the furthest under controlled conditions, i.e., an "apples to apples" comparison of throws such as a indoor competition or one limited to certain wind conditions.

Again, just my opinon/vote, for what little that is worth. I'd also love to have seen the 1000+ fee throws over the last week.

Originally Posted by DirtyMeathook View Post

"Nobody is going to top the 1100, and the potential of a World record throw is the entirety of the event's allure. I respect the idea of sticking with tradition, but from a business standpoint you'd be making a mistake not to evolve the event. If you don't, this may be the last time anyone has a meaningful discussion about it. "Joe Blow breaks personal best and throws 12th furthest drive ever," isn't a very intriguing headline."

Thanks meathook. This is has been one of my underlying points.

Last edited:
Do you think any disc golf manufacturer is going to put up another bounty like innova did some years ago to break the record??

Do you think any disc golf manufacturer is going to put up another bounty like innova did some years ago to break the record??

Why wouldn't they if the record is, in your eyes, unattainable? There is zero risk for them to put up said "bounty."

FWIW, most manufacturers have a bonus written into their sponsored players' contracts for if they break the record. Not sure I am free to post the numbers, but some were pretty gaudy in terms of disc golf.

Poor guy and the emotions you must be going through. First this competition was going to go global and you and lizotte were going to get all the long drive groupies. Couple days later, 5 mph faster wind, a new world record holder, and now everything is ruined.

Again, the more they have been talking about it, the more they are deciding how they actually feel. Talking to David, Alex and Simon over the past two days, they are all very excited at the potential for indoor distance competitions.

Being outside is exciting for sure but to set the world record, obviously wind is necessary. Moving forward, there will be more distance competitions but coinciding with disc golf competitions I imagine. I think the Desert challenge will still exist and I know that the guys want to be able to throw 900 and 1000 feet in lesser winds. I have no doubt that they can. It Sandstrom was able to throw a Valkyrie 250 metres, I see no reason why Simon or David can't throw a Boss (or another new, fast disc) 300+ metres with the average winds at the desert, which is typically the case (obviously since that's the average...haha).

I've been talking to a disc golfer who competes in long ball competitions and I think there's a great opportunity to have the top throwers all competing head to head. I think that's the direction to head :)

Rob, you say that Simon and David agree, but they were just on a live podcast a couple days ago and their position could not have been more different than yours. Simon said that him and David agreed, "there was no point of holding another one of these." Stating what everyone is thinking. Nobody is going to top the 1100, and the potential of a World record throw is the entirety of the event's allure. I respect the idea of sticking with tradition, but from a business standpoint you'd be making a mistake not to evolve the event. If you don't, this may be the last time anyone has a meaningful discussion about it. "Joe Blow breaks personal best and throws 12th furthest drive ever," isn't a very intriguing headline.

What's more impressive; throwing further with more wind or throwing less with less wind.

I have 3 answers for that:
1.Both
2.Neither
3.Who cares