• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Fives on Last Tee

dwalk77

Par Member
I've noticed both on tour and at my local course guys giving each other high fives on the last teebox. Does anyone know what the story is on that and when/why it started?
Just find it curious. In golf, players give each others handshakes after the last hole, but disc golf it's on the last tee.

In my local beer-n-weed dubs league there's usually an exchange of fistbumps/fives/good games somewhere between teeing on the 17th hole and wrapping up the 18th. IDK how it started tho.

Have to talk to somebody who's been around disc golf a lot longer than me, but I get the feeling it's about the cameraderie of our sport being a little different. Kind of stemming from the laid-back origins of disc golf: let others know you enjoyed their company even before the final outcome is determined, coz it's not who wins the competition, but who has the most fun. I'm pretty sure Steady Ed said something pretty close to that. ;)

In my local beer-n-weed dubs league there's usually an exchange of fistbumps/fives/good games somewhere between teeing on the 17th hole and wrapping up the 18th. IDK how it started tho.

My informal group of 4-6 does the same thing, but like you, I don't know where it started.

Have to talk to somebody who's been around disc golf a lot longer than me...
Cue Jay Dub...

Kind of stemming from the laid-back origins of disc golf: let others know you enjoyed their company even before the final outcome is determined, coz it's not who wins the competition, but who has the most fun. I'm pretty sure Steady Ed said something pretty close to that. ;)
Pretty sure the origin is rooted in this, but I'd say persists today simply as tradition because most players don't necessarily know how it started... it's just what they've learned is expected, particularly at tournaments.

Right on cue... two posts down. :D

Last edited:
Sounds kinda corny to me, but I've been labelled a cynic a time or two. Reminds me of the "good game" line after ball games where the teams line up and slap hands as they walk past each other. Don't get me wrong, if I play with others it's not like I just walk off and leave afterwards, there's definitely some "good game" moments, maybe some chit chat about the round, but there's no making a point to shake hands/high five.

We do it to let each other know we enjoyed the round and thanks for the fun/company/competition.

Cue Jay Dub...

Pretty sure the origin is rooted in this, but I'd say persists today simply as tradition because most players don't necessarily know how it started... it's just what they've learned is expected, particularly at tournaments.

Ha! I have no idea how/why/where it started.

Curmudgeon has been playing longer than Jay Dub. Maybe he knows. (Thrembo, too?)

Maybe if we do it before the last hole is played, we are sure that everyone will be there to participate. If it's done after hole 18 is completed, someone might leave hastily, whether out of disappointment with their round, the urgent need to use the bathroom, or eagerness to turn in their card and pop open a beer. =D

My dad used to do after every round when he played more was two finger and a thumb handshake as a joke for seeing others in tournaments in South Dakota doing the handshake thing after every 18 hole round. Dad Would say good game, but he stopped this near the time he was stopping playing as much disc golf.

Maybe if we do it before the last hole is played, we are sure that everyone will be there to participate. If it's done after hole 18 is completed, someone might leave hastily, whether out of disappointment with their round, the urgent need to use the bathroom, or eagerness to turn in their card and pop open a beer. =D

"High Fives on Last Tee" is before the last hole is played. :)

It is an odd ritual and I would think it must have something to do with Ed and his attitude towards the sport. It's a good question but not sure if anyone really knows. I have some friends who have played since the start (PDGA #'s in the double digits) so I'll try and remember to ask them.

My perspective is even if you play terrible, it's about the company and experience (both in casual and competitive rounds) so I assume that plays a big part. Worst day on the course is better than the best day at work, and I generally have no complaints and guessing we all share that feeling on some level (unless you get stuck with 'that guy' on a card lol).

The story goes a group of disc golfers back in the day played an impromptu course in the woods where they would point to a tree in the distance to "hit" as the hole. Hours later they were lost, but they found there way out of the woods by reversing their path and finding the "chips" in the trees where their discs hit. Once they arrived back at the first tree where they started...tired, thirsty, and glad to be alive...yep...high fives all around.

I don't really care for this tradition or shaking hands / fist bumping before the round. It reminds me of bro hugging before basketball games. Wish it was more like the 1980s where everyone wanted to destroy each other.

I played in my first sanctioned tournament in '79, and it was already a thing then. Ed's quote is "Most fun wins". I usually add "and the lowest score gets paid" when I hand out the cards at my Thursday dubs tourney.

If you have poor sports walking away from the group after holing out on 18 without shaking hands, etc. , then they obviously didn't have fun and didn't enjoy playing with you. As such it is just faux sportsmanship and I don't think it makes any sense at all, although basically harmless. I still do it, but only because it is expected. The time for congratulations, etc. is after the round is completed. The first few times this happened, I thought 'Where are you going, still one more hole to be played".

Much have been a huge amount of douche-bags playing this sport in the early days for this to become part of the game.

Traditions and conventions become those very things for good reasons, but we're not always gonna know the whys and wherefores...
I don't see it as congratulatory - unless it's, "Congratulations for making it out alive/uninjured." Believe me, the older I get, the more appreciative I am about crawling out of the woods with no blood.

It's definitely more of a "Hey, we had fun, and I don't hate any of you, and if you're amenable, we can do it again sometime. Nice shootin', thanks for showing me that one thing you did with the thumber off the tee..." etc. Just general bonhomie, man. It doesn't have to Mean Anything, other than that.

I guess the subtext can always be, "Next time, I shall destroy thee."

I always assumed it was so that you didn't get the group behind you mad, standing at the 18th basket high-fiving while they wait to tee off.

Latest posts