• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Point/Greensboro NC

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, I'll be in High Point for the home decor show for several days and want to bag a course or two while I'm there. I've played Johnson St. once before and had a good time, but if there are others worth trying I would be very open to them.

Also, I will probably only be able to play one regular round, but if there are any parks that allow/are good for glow I wouldn't mind. Especially if it's a 9 hole or on the shorter side.

Also may have time to play one Charlotte area course on the way up.

Thanks in advance!

If it were me and I could make the time, I'd head over to Cedarock Park in Burlington and do the 36 hole Cedarock+Wellspring loop, but if I only have time for one of them, I'd opt for Wellspring (classic Carolina woods course). Second choice would be Creekside (Archdale), another classic Carolina woods course. Patriot (Kernersville) and Keeley (McLeansville) ain't half bad, but are a tad too open for my taste.

If you haven't played Horizons in Winston-Salem, it's worth considering for the history (18 holes, but only 4200' so it's on the shorter side): it's the oldest permanent course in NC and one of the first on the East Coast. If you want the full experience, play it with a 141g or 165g World Class Frisbee™. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup: FROLF FTW! :clap::clap::clap::hfive:

If it were me and I could make the time, I'd head over to Cedarock Park in Burlington and do the 36 hole Cedarock+Wellspring loop, but if I only have time for one of them, I'd opt for Wellspring (classic Carolina woods course). Second choice would be Creekside (Archdale), another classic Carolina woods course. Patriot (Kernersville) and Keeley (McLeansville) ain't half bad, but are a tad too open for my taste.

If you haven't played Horizons in Winston-Salem, it's worth considering for the history (18 holes, but only 4200' so it's on the shorter side): it's the oldest permanent course in NC and one of the first on the East Coast. If you want the full experience, play it with a 141g or 165g World Class Frisbee™. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup: FROLF FTW! :clap::clap::clap::hfive:

Horizon looks like it would be a good place for a glow round, do you know if it's open at night?

Depends on your risk tolerance. :D

Officially, Horizons is open 7:00 AM - 7:30 PM :(but it's not unknown for certain locals of my acquaintence to sneak in the occasional glow round. ;)

If it's 7:30 I might even be able to get a round in before then. But if it's the oft typical in GA "sunrise to sunset" hours it wouldn't be possible.

Tried to play Hornets Nest on the way through Charlotte today, and it was already closed for the tournament this week. Didn't get to play, but got to see Paul McBeth, Catrina Allen, Austin Hannum, Kyle Kline, Ezra Aderhold, and Lisa Fajkus play a few holes.

Ended up playing Nevin Park down the street which was a pretty solid course.

While leaving the triad I went by Hughes park, which actually would be gold for glow rounds since it's pretty short and not much OB, but sadly you must finish your rounds by 7pm…

Patriot is open and boring. Johnson St is way more fun but short and showing it's age a bit. I like Creekside the best out of that immediate area. It's a good blend of Carolina golf but some decently open holes too.

On the other side of Greensboro, Keeley and Garden Grove are the best. Keeley has good variety but some of the holes get overgrown fast (especially the bamboo on hole 1). Garden Grove is my baby so, you know.

Cedarock and Wellspring in Burlington are good, classic courses. Rock Creek is rumored to become permanent finally so it'll have 3 solid to good courses in one park.

Albemarle has really great courses too.

Patriot is open and boring. Johnson St is way more fun but short and showing it's age a bit. I like Creekside the best out of that immediate area. It's a good blend of Carolina golf but some decently open holes too.

On the other side of Greensboro, Keeley and Garden Grove are the best. Keeley has good variety but some of the holes get overgrown fast (especially the bamboo on hole 1). Garden Grove is my baby so, you know.

Cedarock and Wellspring in Burlington are good, classic courses. Rock Creek is rumored to become permanent finally so it'll have 3 solid to good courses in one park.

Albemarle has really great courses too.

Johnson St. is my favorite so far, but despite 20 trips to the area I've not played that much DG there.

I'll be back in 6 months to try a couple more though!