• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High School Disc Golf

jabruce

Hey Guys! I've been playing Disc Golf for about 7 years or so. I love this sport! I think the only downside is, I started playing in my mid 20's. I catch myself thinking sometimes, if I had started playing when I was in junior high or high school. So, that thought process made me want to become an ambassador. Long story short, I want to see Disc Golf in junior high and high school athletics. I live in Texas, so I contacted the UIL (University of Interscholastic League). They have directed me which channels to follow. I've sent a request for a rule change. A meeting will take the 3rd week of October. A proposal will be given to a panel of 30 superintendents. If it is approved then it will go down the political line of other panels. If it passes through all the panels then Disc Golf could be signed off and become a high school sport the following school year. The main reason for my message is, I didn't know if you guys have done anything like this before? Or, if ya'll have some suggestions? Or, if ya'll would be willing to give testimonials on how Disc Golf has changed your lives and why it should be a mainstream sport? I know this is alot and if you read this, I appreciate it. If your interested in helping out, that would be greatly appreciated also. Thank you for your time and DISC ON!!!
Also, check out our page and please help spread the word!

https://www.facebook.com/Texans4HighSchoolDiscGolf/

It SHOULDNT be a mainstream sport. I like not having people pile ups at the courses I play.

Then entrepreneurs are trying to capitalize on this and keep raising prices to play (looking at you brp, VQ, and three rivers)

Everyone wants to "grow the sport" but in reality you all are going to be sorry when you get what you wished for.

Back on topic and end of rant- I hope they get to play ultimate as well. The cool thing about ultimate is it can be done indoors too.

I don't think it should be a mainstream sport by any means but just because you teach it to a kid doesn't mean all of them will choose to do it. I was introduced to disc golf in middle school in MN. I chose to keep with it eventually. Maybe a couple continued on. It's all about exposing kids to things they are potentially good at and wish to do for themselves. I'm happy that there are enough people enjoying this game to make it busy at peak hours. Oh well those are the days I meet the coolest people.

Anyways I know nothing about the logistics of what your trying to do but I'm all for it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that one of the coolest things about this sport is being able to get away from all the "mainstream masses", enjoy the outdoors, and watch your discs glide. If we grow it too much, it just won't be the same.

It SHOULDNT be a mainstream sport. I like not having people pile ups at the courses I play.

Then entrepreneurs are trying to capitalize on this and keep raising prices to play (looking at you brp, VQ, and three rivers)

Everyone wants to "grow the sport" but in reality you all are going to be sorry when you get what you wished for.

Back on topic and end of rant- I hope they get to play ultimate as well. The cool thing about ultimate is it can be done indoors too.

You have no idea how much time I've spent dreaming up the course layout for a man made indoor disc golf course inside a blimp hangar. I'm talking man made hills, fake trees/obstacles, netting to separate different holes, etc. It would be like a giant miniature golf course, but with full sized disc golf. Incredibly fun, but probably way too expensive to ever be an efficient business.

You have no idea how much time I've spent dreaming up the course layout for a man made indoor disc golf course inside a blimp hangar. I'm talking man made hills, fake trees/obstacles, netting to separate different holes, etc. It would be like a giant miniature golf course, but with full sized disc golf. Incredibly fun, but probably way too expensive to ever be an efficient business.

I live in the NW as well, so yes, yes I do have an idea. A few more winters like the last one in Portland, and people will be chomping at the bit for an indoor DG course.

I wouldn't mind seeing disc golf Incorporated into PE curriculum, but honestly that's about it. The bureaucratic rigamarole involved with varsity athletics and the informal nature of the sport just don't mesh well.

I would actually drive a respectable amount of distance to play that.

Add me to those that do not want to see DG go mainstream. Next thing you know, people will want it in the Olympics. :rolleyes:

If the OP wants to start something at his local school, I wish him luck. I don't see anything wrong with giving kids another option. But, of the people I've introduced to disc golf, very, very few actually took it up seriously.

Sounds like a cool idea. I doubt many will stick with it, but you never know. I'm surprised that my local course isn't more crowded on weekday afternoons with it being right next to the high school and all. This new generation of kids need to get themselves outside. The only person that I have introduced to disc golf that has actually stuck with it is my wife and she probably wouldn't have if we didn't get married. So maybe you'll have more luck. Either way, I'm not too worried about the sport growing too much. Most of the guys that play barely get themselves out on the course before 11am on the weekends so no issues there for me being an early bird.

I'm a senior in high school and when the spring time comes around I will bring a couple of discs to school for gym or track just so I can show my classmates that I don't suck at everything. I really wish that it would become a thing as I'm also the youngest in my local league and there is only one other guy <20. The league president's son used to play but haven't seen him on the course in over a year. I really wish that when I was introduced to the sport by a friend of mine, that I had stayed with it instead of taking 2 years off.

I don't think it should be a mainstream sport by any means but just because you teach it to a kid doesn't mean all of them will choose to do it. I was introduced to disc golf in middle school in MN. I chose to keep with it eventually. Maybe a couple continued on. It's all about exposing kids to things they are potentially good at and wish to do for themselves. I'm happy that there are enough people enjoying this game to make it busy at peak hours. Oh well those are the days I meet the coolest people.

Anyways I know nothing about the logistics of what your trying to do but I'm all for it. Good luck

Exactly, numerous school children (appears to be primary and elementary aged) in York County, SC attend the USDGC every year and I would think <5% stick with it because Football and Soccer is so popular in the area. Four of my young cousins grew up in Rock Hill and attended the EDGE Program at the USDGC and the youngest has played probably 10 times since first attending the event in the late 2000s and the others never picked up a disc again. It would be cool to see Jadavean Clowney at the USDGC when he was a kid though playing.

I'm a junior in high school and frequently am the butt end of jokes involving "girl sports", "playing frisbee all day", and "playing a sissy sport" all referencing disc golf... honestly don't really care about the guys who say that because at the end of the day I like playing, and they aren't mature enough to understand different people like doing different things. I think at some schools it may be a good idea, but at others (mine included) it would just be laughed at and it wouldn't get very far. And @ILUVS I'm in the same boat. There's me and one other kid who's 20 (I introduced him to the sport) and were the only two young guns there.

I'm a junior in high school and frequently am the butt end of jokes involving "girl sports", "playing frisbee all day", and "playing a sissy sport" all referencing disc golf... honestly don't really care about the guys who say that because at the end of the day I like playing, and they aren't mature enough to understand different people like doing different things. I think at some schools it may be a good idea, but at others (mine included) it would just be laughed at and it wouldn't get very far. And @ILUVS I'm in the same boat. There's me and one other kid who's 20 (I introduced him to the sport) and were the only two young guns there.

Yea good call on the not listening to that crap. Hell people used to say all kinds of crap about me, not exactly the most "normal" person. Anyways stick with it, I never really started playing till mid high school. Though not sure what things are like these days but middle school is ridiculous. It's just that age bracket. I live in MN and I remember kids making fun of people that played hockey, especially those that were really good. One of those that's was made fun of a lot plays for the Rangers now. People talked mad sh*t about me playing disc golf and like 3 years later I'm playing rounds with them after school. Anyways don't let the naysayers make you stop.

I'm a junior in high school and frequently am the butt end of jokes involving "girl sports"
Hah! If only they knew how few of us females actually play :rolleyes: ... but I don't want to totally derail this thread.

From my experience, I had a pretty decent amount of exposure to disc golf before ever deciding to start playing. Back in the late 90s when I was probably 10 or 11 we played at summer camp and on random school field trips, and then in the mid 00s when I was starting university it was included in the orientation week activities. Out of all the people who participated, I doubt many actually stuck with DG (I didn't - I just started playing last year!). That being said, I think it's a great idea to expose kids to as many different types of activities as possible! There is such a big push to get people more active, and not everyone is great at or interested in the more mainstream/organized sports that are included in the PE curriculum.

Last edited:
Thanks for your hard work! Before you put any more work into setting up a formal structure on the state level, you should probably ask: is there a demand for this now? In my experience, sports grow from the ground up (not the top down). Unless there are already multiple disc golf clubs at high schools in Texas that need a formal structure to interact, you may have an empty varsity sport.

This generation of disc golfers needs to be the very last. Do not, under any circumstances, introduce the sport to kids or try to legitimize disc golf competition in any way. The last thing we need is younger people playing this thing 50 years from now. I think we can all agree - disc golf courses are to be relics of days past where the sport was played and enjoyed from, say, the late 70's to the 2080's (or whenever the last member of DGCR dies).

So, I repeat - quit now - there is no point in continuing on!

The main reason for my message is, I didn't know if you guys have done anything like this before? Or, if ya'll have some suggestions? Or, if ya'll would be willing to give testimonials on how Disc Golf has changed your lives and why it should be a mainstream sport? I know this is alot and if you read this, I appreciate it. If your interested in helping out, that would be greatly appreciated also. Thank you for your time and DISC ON!!!

I do a lot of work with the local schools and would like to see disc golf become a legit sport that kids can play competitively, like the myriad of other sports they are exposed to. One thing that I've noticed about disc golf, is that it appeals to those kids who aren't into traditional sports and/or are social outcasts and/or don't do much of any physical activity at all. I'll definitely check out your page - and good luck!

By the time it gets there - I'll have the personal resources to pay greens fees for the courses I want to be at. Those courses won't be as packed as the public free to play courses overrun with casuals loving the most popular sport in America.

Hey Guys! I've been playing Disc Golf for about 7 years or so. I love this sport! I think the only downside is, I started playing in my mid 20's. I catch myself thinking sometimes, if I had started playing when I was in junior high or high school. So, that thought process made me want to become an ambassador. Long story short, I want to see Disc Golf in junior high and high school athletics. I live in Texas, so I contacted the UIL (University of Interscholastic League). They have directed me which channels to follow. I've sent a request for a rule change. A meeting will take the 3rd week of October. A proposal will be given to a panel of 30 superintendents. If it is approved then it will go down the political line of other panels. If it passes through all the panels then Disc Golf could be signed off and become a high school sport the following school year. The main reason for my message is, I didn't know if you guys have done anything like this before? Or, if ya'll have some suggestions? Or, if ya'll would be willing to give testimonials on how Disc Golf has changed your lives and why it should be a mainstream sport? I know this is alot and if you read this, I appreciate it. If your interested in helping out, that would be greatly appreciated also. Thank you for your time and DISC ON!!!

This is pretty awesome. I'll try to keep tabs on your progress - I've introduced it at the school I work at, on Monday they start their second year running the sport with 6 baskets around the football complex. The plan for this year is to run disc golf on Tuesday-Thursday between Mon-Wed-Fri of Track & Field for the entire month of May. In a year I'm hoping to have identified interested "coaches" from each of the local high schools to mentor individuals to play tournaments, and within a few years turn those individual events into mostly team events.

Having a model in place to work toward varsity sport recognition will be tremendously helpful. I hope you succeed. :)