• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] High Speed/Low Weight Discs

I recently bought a few 145g misprint big z thrashers. I use it as a standstill fairway driver. On a super easy hyzerflip, the thing is a bomb. I prefer my crank or Merlin off a tee, but they don't get much more distance with a run up than if I stood still and ripped the ultralight thrasher on a hyzerflip. So yeah, to the OP's question, you can do fun things with lightweight fast discs

Funny you should mention the Trespass. The Trespass is my Wraith.

I've tried several Wraiths but just never clicked with any of them. Maybe I just never found the right one?

The Trespass for me flies like I was hoping a Wraith would.

Trespasses are easier to throw than Wraiths. They have a little more high speed turn, and don't fade as quickly, nor as hard. Trespasses are also at least 30' longer for me than Wraiths.

With a Wraith you need probably 375' steady distance to really make them stand up and go. Wraiths can be a little beefy in star or champion.

Trespasses are easier to throw than Wraiths. They have a little more high speed turn, and don't fade as quickly, nor as hard. Trespasses are also at least 30' longer for me than Wraiths.

With a Wraith you need probably 375' steady distance to really make them stand up and go. Wraiths can be a little beefy in star or champion.

I 100% agree with this assessment. They feel very similar in the hand though.

Well there's my problem. I pretty much max out at 350. I've thrown longer here and there but those shots were the exception rather than the rule. Also, pretty sure the Wraiths I tried were all in star and champion.

Well there's my problem. I pretty much max out at 350. I've thrown longer here and there but those shots were the exception rather than the rule. Also, pretty sure the Wraiths I tried were all in star and champion.

350' isn't really enough to flex out a Wraith. It'll just hyzer out at that distance.

When I say Wraith, I mean a legit Wraith, not some blizzard or starlite thing that weighs 150g.

Any heavy Wraith in star or champion will take some power to throw properly. G*s will be a touch flippier.

Haven't thrown a Trespass, but was playing with a buddy today who was throwing it and getting it to turn pretty consistently. IMO the Traces should fill that same kind of niche though. I got plenty of turn out of my Neutron Traces. I'm a 350 foot thrower though, so I'm not seeing the full potential of Wraiths. I probably never will until I get off the GL Ballista Pro train.

What really surprised me out of the discs thrown by the buddy was his Escape. Barely put any power behind it, threw it on a flat to slight anhyzer on a low line, and it S'd out for 350+ pretty handidly.

A lot of talk about the Ballista Pro so how would a regular GL Ballista Pro in the 163g weight would fit the bill? Im throwing to the ~375ft mark quite well, but im trying to find that disc to penetrate +400ft semi consistently. Current max D driver is a Echo Sline DD3 (172g), but it is somewhat unpredictable sometimes and it beats in quite quickly. The dd3 has gotten me many times over 400ft but I have the fear of losing it a lot of times as it is quite rare and expensive so a cheaper alternative would be great.

After years of playing disc golf and gaining the wisdom that comes with experience, I have more or less steered away from using discs in a speed higher than I can effectively throw.

As a reference, I throw a Star Eagle (170 g.) between 300 - 350 feet. The fastest disc in my bag is a PD (171 g.) in G-Line plastic and I throw it about the same distance.

I have been content with this way of thinking until I found a G* Wraith while playing disc golf. I read good things about the Wraith but have never thrown one before so I decided to give it a go. The disc bombed; turned over beautifully and faded back reliably. It flew further than anything I've ever been able to throw before. But alas the disc had a phone number and thus was returned to it's owner.

Since then I've been on a journey to find a max distance bomber for myself. I'm convinced that the disc must have been really low weight or well seasoned because all of the Wraith's that I have purchased (167 g.) fly straight and fade hard.

TLDR. Which brings me to my question. Does it make sense to buy a high speed understable disc in a ultra low weight for max distance? Or should I stick with an understable 9/10 speed driver in a common weight for someone of my arm speed?

I throw an Archon 11 speed in Star (Champion is garbage due to lack of glide, mine is for light 20-25 mph max D headwind) as the max distance disc. Something about the Archon type of US is what you want for max D at speed 11 or 12 max and I am a tiny guy 105 LB and 5 foot 2 inch height. I get the Archon 10-15 feet on a calm day further then my Valkyrie when I use good form. My Star Archon is 171 grams and flies great for my style of play.

Haven't thrown a Trespass, but was playing with a buddy today who was throwing it and getting it to turn pretty consistently. IMO the Traces should fill that same kind of niche though. I got plenty of turn out of my Neutron Traces. I'm a 350 foot thrower though, so I'm not seeing the full potential of Wraiths. I probably never will until I get off the GL Ballista Pro train.

What really surprised me out of the discs thrown by the buddy was his Escape. Barely put any power behind it, threw it on a flat to slight anhyzer on a low line, and it S'd out for 350+ pretty handidly.

I had zero luck with the Escape. I've thrown a couple of them. They don't handle power well at all. I was releasing them hyzer and they'd still turn and burn. Really finicky disc. I'd say the same about the Renegade.

A lot of talk about the Ballista Pro so how would a regular GL Ballista Pro in the 163g weight would fit the bill? Im throwing to the ~375ft mark quite well, but im trying to find that disc to penetrate +400ft semi consistently. Current max D driver is a Echo Sline DD3 (172g), but it is somewhat unpredictable sometimes and it beats in quite quickly. The dd3 has gotten me many times over 400ft but I have the fear of losing it a lot of times as it is quite rare and expensive so a cheaper alternative would be great.

Ballista Pro would probably work, but you should also try a lightish star or champion Katana. They're fast, moderately flippy, and glide really well. 400' is not at all difficult for a Katana.

Ballista Pro would probably work, but you should also try a lightish star or champion Katana. They're fast, moderately flippy, and glide really well. 400' is not at all difficult for a Katana.
Sounds like its worth a try. 165-169g weight range I guess? I don't like Champion plastic so much so a Star one sounds good. If I can't find a lighter weight one will a 175g do the trick? If I recall correctly the Katana is Garrett Gurthie's favorite choice of distance driver for max D.

Oh and also what about a Echo star plastic one? Too flippy or a good choice?

Oh and also what about a Echo star plastic one? Too flippy or a good choice?

I'm not a huge fan of echo star plastic. It seems too much like pro to me. Rubbery, gummy, and it tends to warp. It beats up quickly too.

A star Katana in the mid to high 160s would probably be all the distance you need.

An Archon in Star with average to taller dome or a Tern are what the OP is looking for with the glide and the speed just try to get no more then 170-171 gram disc but best bet is upper 160's gram weight set. One plastic of the Tern is an Archon in flight just a speed faster with more glide, I just forget the plastic since I do not use the mold.

Latest posts