• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Speed Understable Disc

Necro bump incoming!!!

Can anyone help me to understand the purpose of these discs? I know they're marketed for slower arm speeds (which would be me) but they don't really do anything my understable 9 speeds already do

Maybe I'm just salty that they don't magically grant me an extra 50 feet like Dave Dunipace promised

Necro bump incoming!!!

Can anyone help me to understand the purpose of these discs? I know they're marketed for slower arm speeds (which would be me) but they don't really do anything my understable 9 speeds already do

Maybe I'm just salty that they don't magically grant me an extra 50 feet like Dave Dunipace promised

Which discs?

My experience is that high speed understable discs are fun to throw but they aren't really good for disc golf unless I'm playing on a super easy course. Like, I can get more distance with a Tern than with a Roadrunner, but it's not predictable where it's landing.

That said, I will probably take a beat Wraith over a Roadrunner. Even when beat to understable a Wraith seems more predictable than any out-of-the-box high speed understable driver I have tried.

My experience is that high speed understable discs are fun to throw but they aren't really good for disc golf unless I'm playing on a super easy course. Like, I can get more distance with a Tern than with a Roadrunner, but it's not predictable where it's landing.

That said, I will probably take a beat Wraith over a Roadrunner. Even when beat to understable a Wraith seems more predictable than any out-of-the-box high speed understable driver I have tried.

Hyzer flip. An invaluable shot in wooded disc golf. For many arms a less stable driver is a good answer for this shot. I have pretty effectively used it on some NOT very easy courses.

If you know how to throw a good hyzerflip, a high speed understable disc will probably deliver max distance.

Every once in a while you'll get a decently open hole that allows a max distance drive with little fear of going OB. Then you can pull out something like a Daedalus or a Shryke and absolutely smash.

Necro bump incoming!!!

I'm with you in the noodle arm camp. I've tried a TON of different ones. Most are terrible for me. There are a couple exceptions I've found.

The Infinite disc Maya, especially in I-blend is a bomber for weak arms. Love that disc. I've been throwing Mint Discs Freetails recently instead of Mayas. Apex and Eternal plastic. Basically Star and Champ for comparison's sake. They bomb for me. Not sure the *numbers*, but they're faster than a 9, but not a 12 like a Tern. 10 or 11 speed rim and show actual turn while still fading. Tdub will probably suggest a Corvette of some kind :p

Which discs?

Shryke, Mamba, Tempest, Tern and I know it's not supposed to be understable but I got an I-blend domey Czar that turns and burns with the best of em.

If I get just the right amount of hyzer angle on release I can get them to flip up and ride to around 280 feet and have pushed the shryke out to 330. But my Heat/Pekapeka/ thrashed Dynasty pretty much do the same thing. Obviously the fault is on my end but I guess I was just hoping for once I could cheat my way to some easy distance

Shryke, Mamba, Tempest, Tern and I know it's not supposed to be understable but I got an I-blend domey Czar that turns and burns with the best of em.

If I get just the right amount of hyzer angle on release I can get them to flip up and ride to around 280 feet and have pushed the shryke out to 330. But my Heat/Pekapeka/ thrashed Dynasty pretty much do the same thing. Obviously the fault is on my end but I guess I was just hoping for once I could cheat my way to some easy distance

If you've got a beat Heat/Sidewinder that gives a nice S-shape out to ~325', I don't think you'd benefit much from a wider rim disc. You might be able to squeeze 10-15' out of a unicorn ~Shryke (just the right weight, dome, wear for your speed and style), but that'd be annoying to chase down. The Heat/Sidewinder family of discs with the flatter, thinner rim would be easier to buy replacements. (And a Dynasty is a Sidewinder bottom with an Anhyzer top.) Sapphires are fairly consistent and might be worth trying. But they probably won't help you cheat out to 350' consistently.

Necro bump incoming!!!

I'm pretty much with you. Recently switched from Wraiths as my main drivers to Valks.

I've had a handful of high speed understable drivers that were absolute $ for me, but have always struggled to find backups that flew the same. I lose understable drivers way more often than any other slot in my bag (they are more effected by nose angle and wind, resulting in a wider spray pattern). I used to have a blizzard Destroyer that was a hyzer flip machine for me (I bet 9 of my 10 longest flat ground throws were with that disc), but I eventually lost it and none of the backups I bought flew near the same (even after seasoning).

I suppose for other, newer players that might read this:

High level players can definitely put a fresh Heat, Sidewinder or Dynasty out to 375'+. They throw with impressive speed, and impressive spin (that keeps a disc straighter, with less turn and less fade).

Above I meant that if you were currently putting seasoned Heats out to 325' (especially on a big S shape flight), then you wouldn't likely get much extra distance from a fatter rim. And you'd likely have to go light enough to be extra squirrelly.

I suppose for other, newer players that might read this:

High level players can definitely put a fresh Heat, Sidewinder or Dynasty out to 375'+. They throw with impressive speed, and impressive spin (that keeps a disc straighter, with less turn and less fade).

Above I meant that if you were currently putting seasoned Heats out to 325' (especially on a big S shape flight), then you wouldn't likely get much extra distance from a fatter rim. And you'd likely have to go light enough to be extra squirrelly.

Heats and Sidewinders will very easily go 375'+, but those aren't usually the discs I'd reach for at that distance. Something like an Anax or Thunderbird is better. Less S curve and far more consistency.

BTW, if you're throwing a Heat 375' something like a Corvette or Relativity would probably go 440'. Fast, understable discs have their place. You just have to know when to throw them, and when not to. Discs like that take a long time and a lot of practice to get good with.

One thing a lot of people forget when throwing fast, understable discs is that the power threshold for them is high. You need a lot of arm to get the disc to turn and stay turned without fading out too early. You also need a fine touch with hyzerflips.

Heats and Sidewinders will very easily go 375'+, but those aren't usually the discs I'd reach for at that distance. Something like an Anax or Thunderbird is better. Less S curve and far more consistency.

BTW, if you're throwing a Heat 375' something like a Corvette or Relativity would probably go 440'. Fast, understable discs have their place. You just have to know when to throw them, and when not to. Discs like that take a long time and a lot of practice to get good with.

One thing a lot of people forget when throwing fast, understable discs is that the power threshold for them is high. You need a lot of arm to get the disc to turn and stay turned without fading out too early. You also need a fine touch with hyzerflips.

I think with lower arm speeds faster flippy discs go just as far as slower discs they just get to the same place faster.

I love high speed understable discs, but you have to be very selective as to when to use them. The trouble is that they fly so **** well in the right conditions that you'll be tempted to reach for one when you really shouldn't.