• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills Roadtrip

rdwyer

So me and a few of my friends are roadtripping it from the Twin Cities to Highbridge Hills this summer.

I was just wondering if anyone had been there and had a favorite course out of the few that they had there, or knew anything about a good place to stay there.

Thanks!

If coming from northern MN, I'm hearing many great things about the grueling Mont Du Lac!

favorite course out of the few that they had there

Have you read the reviews? Looked at the ratings? Plenty of good info there.

From what I can tell, it would be hard to go wrong (save for Chestnut). Don't see any reason not to play them all if you have the time.

or the honka house?

Highbridge is on the top of my list of places to hit this spring/summer, I hope to make it out that direction soon.

I was there last July and think about my trip to Highbridge or the courses almost daily. I want to go back so bad I can taste it, it was totally worth the 12 drive for me to get there.

You can stay in the Honka House or camp, both are on site and very affordable. Contact John to reserve a place to stay. Contact info is on his website: highbridgehillssc.com

With the exception of their beginner course, Chestnut Grove, all the courses are worth playing multiple rounds at. Bring food and beer with you, there are refrigerators at the Honka House. It's a bit of a drive to the nearest store. It's worth the drive up to Ashland to eat at the Deep Water Grill and South Shore Brewery; good beer and good food.

I'll 2nd going to South Shore brewery. Worth a visit. All of the courses are great, and John is suppose to have the Bear course complete, and the first nine of Whitetail in. I'd check with John if you're planning on renting the Honka house or cabin. I'm sure they're pretty well booked through the summer. Camping is great there too. It's fun to play at night, and Chestnut has 18 now. All in all, plan on staying one more day than you do originally, because you'll wish you had one when you're getting ready to leave.

I'm also hoping to make it up to High Bridge this summer. I had some questions regarding the accomodations at the Honka House that perhaps some of the vets might be able to answer. I checked the website, but the information is somewhat spotty.

Is Honka House hostel/bunkhouse style? Or, are there private rooms? Individual or shared bathrooms? Any additional information would be great. Thanks.

The honka house is split into four sections: The upper (bunk beds/air mattresses/small kitchen area/no bathroom), main level rear (bunk beds/air mattresses/ shared bathroom), main level front (bedroom/beds/kitchen), and lower level (which isn't completely finished but should have a working shower and bathroom). I'm not really sure on how what gets reserved by whom, or if people just are cool and let other groups in if they ask. We usually have the place to ourselves and if another group shows and asks, we let them stay too. I have no idea who's in this video but it show's the interior of the honka. There is another cabin by the pro shop available for rent as well.

Down by the pro shop and camping there's a bunkhouse with 4ish bedrooms and a shared kitchen/living area, no showers or bathrooms but there's an outhouse right outside. It's a nice middle ground between camping and the Honka house if that's what you're looking for.

Hey man, Ive been to Highbridge a few times back when I lived in Madison (2003 and 2004). I like Blueberry and Granite the most. HB Gold was sick but the Bear was not installed yet. Be sure to grub at the local sub shop in Mellon (spelling?) (the small town about 5 miles south of HB) You wont miss it, there isnt a lot up there. Just thinking about Highbridge makes me want to go back! Too bad I live a 1800 miles away. Im jeolous, also play Fiddler's Creek in Hayward if it is still around. From what I can remember I like it.

Enjoy yourself up there and check out the sub shop, great grub!

I learned here. Incredible. Going back basically one year after starting, June 9-13th. Love the camping experience. Plan on going back honka house style, but any way you can sleep here is acceptable. Courses are world class.

I loved ummm....all. Night course isn't fantastic, but has recently been upgraded to 18 holes. Baskets are lighted. It's a pretty casual course, but considering it's the only one open at night, adjascent to campground, and lit, i would say it's acceptable for 5 or more rounds after sundown

YOU SHOULD DO IT

Ive been there a few times. Last summer my buddies wanted to camp, so i went along with it. campsites are nice, basic, and have portajohns nearby. I was told by john that i could go shower in the honka house if i wanted, but i'm not sure if that is standard or just because nobody was staying there at the time. we got hit by some of the most insane thunderstorms I have seen up there ever, and luckily my family cabin is an hour away so we got to go dry out overnight. bring lots of shoes and buy firewood locally. i kinda liked driving into mellen everyday to get random stuff, its an interesting town in an interesting part of the nation. the night course is lame in the day, but when you get good and sauced at night, it is quite possibly the greatest thing in the world, ever. start up a little drunk trash talk, make some wagers, and head out for some nite golf. it's a blast!

Absolutely go. I honestly can't say enough good things about HHSC and John Jokinen, the owner. We had an absolutely amazing time going over spring break (mid March) this year. We stayed in the honka house for 3 nights and had a complete and total blast. My personal favorite course was Granite Ridge but the other members in my group liked Blueberry more. Every single course is unique and 100% worth playing. Totally, totally, totally worth the 10 hour drive through a blizzard to get there, haha.