• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Honka is kind of gross - the only useful thing about it is a large fridge. Besides that, I would rather just camp.

It's funny you say that. I guess I partially agree. The problem used to be with my group, none of us owned tents (I know they can be bought cheapish but at the time we were barely making ends meat) or campers.

I basically looked at it like I'll pay the money to have a roof over the head for any weather issues, but the rest of it I looked at as more of a camping experience. By this I mean yea they have pots and pans to use and while it doesn't bother me, those things have hardly ever been cleaned and at best have been by hand, it's usually dirty, ect ect, but I also wasn't looking for anything more/better than that. In a way I looked at it like luxury camping having a roof, tons of space and beds, tables and chairs, grill provided as well as the bonus stuff like a foosball table and showers. While Ashland isn't far, for us I felt it was nice to not have to drive anywhere at anytime, everything all in one spot.

Lol that's too funny. My understanding is that John doesn't own the chestnut area what so ever so I'm sure that chestnut will most likely never be available to hbh again.

In terms of course(s?) on that side of the hill, it's all pretty terrible anyway, and getting rid of that doesn't hurt anything other than our promised "cabin" over there that I paid for and likely won't get a return on.

It's funny you say that. I guess I partially agree. The problem used to be with my group, none of us owned tents (I know they can be bought cheapish but at the time we were barely making ends meat) or campers.

I basically looked at it like I'll pay the money to have a roof over the head for any weather issues, but the rest of it I looked at as more of a camping experience. By this I mean yea they have pots and pans to use and while it doesn't bother me, those things have hardly ever been cleaned and at best have been by hand, it's usually dirty, ect ect, but I also wasn't looking for anything more/better than that. In a way I looked at it like luxury camping having a roof, tons of space and beds, tables and chairs, grill provided as well as the bonus stuff like a foosball table and showers. While Ashland isn't far, for us I felt it was nice to not have to drive anywhere at anytime, everything all in one spot.

We have gone and had a group in honka while others camped outside. I usually camped as I own a tent and enjoy it. And I definetly felt cleaner in my tent than in those beds.

If you're curious who owns various parcels on the hill and campground, zoom into the area between Poppe Rd and County C just on the north side of Mile Rd. http://ashlandcowi.wgxtreme.com/ Roger Juaire is an investor from St. Cloud who helped John out in the early 2000s (shortly before I got involved developing those disc golf courses) by buying up much of the hill and all of the campground area. Roger's purchase happened soon after his father-in-law passed away who had been John's partner in creating the partly developed ball golf course on the hill.

Which really confirms my thought, that Johns new move to sell lots onsite, as being illegal since he most likely doesn't even own the land.

Like the plot that my friend bought in 2005 and was promised a cabin. For a mere 5 or 10k he "owns" literally nothing. Or the redesigning of the original layout which left many tee pads and wasted time and effort laying all of the property. I have a cabin just an hour away and choose to not play. I'd rather go play in superior or cable. Beautiful property with a legit con artist ruining it. Poorly managed at best. Hopefully he can get world's again. Lmao

Not by himself from the research i did years back a lot of it didnt even have his name on the tax info.

Maybe a stupid question and I literally have no idea about any of this, but if the tax info doesn't have his name on it, why would he be expected to pay the taxes on the property from the county?

Buzzz we were reserved for the bunkhouse the 28th-1st obviously can't stay there with chestnut being closed. With the limited communication with John we have had it seems he states we are allowed to tent up there just fine. Do you know any more details on this info? Also the conditions of the courses, you said they are getting a lot better is this still true and continuing to be true? Thanks for the help my group is desperately trying to find out what we are going to do for sure.

There was a group in the honka house this weekend and two groups camping on the hill without any issue. However chestnut including the bunkhouse is still closed as far as i know also last time i checked the grass on the chestnut course was waist high. The 5 courses on the hill look better than ever though. As far as your reservation at the bunkhouse you need to talk to john. he told me this weekend he was working to get it open soon but its johnny so who knows

Just so anyone planning on discing there soon, do your research with the roads, the weather really butt****ed our area again, washouts and floods and whatnot. Just got to Duluth from Hurley for my wife's dental appointment - a drive that normally takes an 1 hour and 45 minutes took about 4 hours due to detours and flooded and closed roads.

Looking at the news for Ashland, it seems that most or all of the road closures are to the North and West of HBH.

•US 53 (Southbound lanes) at Bennett Road
•US Hwy 2 closed between Tomich Rd and US Hwy 63 in
•US Hwy 63 is closed between Grand View and Drummond
•County Highways E (west), F, H and N are closed to thru traffic.

Coming from the South, we are on 13, which seems to be ok. At least, I haven't found anything saying there are closures on 13.

Apparently John is carrying a pistol at all times even while mowing due to investors that have been stopping by to see him unannounced. Not sure if hes hiding out there but i gotta give him credit we got a ton of rain and the grass is growing so fast but he and abby have managed to keep the place mowed really well. She started mowing the wider tedious stuff (like gold 8) and hes been doing the delicate and tighter fairways (ie Bear) and i must say it looks pretty good out there.

My take after just being there.

HBH is the same as it ever was. John was a little more serious when he told us that if we see anyone we need to say that we are "friends", not "guests", and that we are either (a) looking at lots by Chestnut, or (b) helping him build a new deck on Honka for a wedding. No one signed anything, and he has told us this every year I think, so really nothing was different.

Courses look amazing. Everything was mowed. Gold was getting sort of long as it had been 12 days or so, but overall really great. Bear was as perfect as last year.

It was busier this year than I have ever seen it. 6 of my group in Honka, 3 of us down by Woodland 9, and then 3 other groups that all had at least 4-5 people. Funny that it was so busy the year it's "closed".

Carts are getting down there - there were only 3 working ones, and they are in pretty rough shape. That was the only slight downside.

If you are camping, I would suggest our spot down by Woodland 9/Bear 11. It was an awesome spot. There's a wall of brush with a bench that I assume Infra folks made, underneath an overhang where we made our fire pit. Unlimited kindling for fire, and it was a nice cool, shady spot, very quiet and far away from the rest of the guests...er friends.

Last edited:
My take after just being there.

HBH is the same as it ever was. John was a little more serious when he told us that if we see anyone we need to say that we are "friends", not "guests", and that we are either (a) looking at lots by Chestnut, or (b) helping him build a new deck on Honka for a wedding. No one signed anything, and he has told us this every year I think, so really nothing was different.

Courses look amazing. Everything was mowed. Gold was getting sort of long as it had been 12 days or so, but overall really great. Bear was as perfect as last year.

It was busier this year than I have ever seen it. 6 of my group in Honka, 3 of us down by Woodland 9, and then 3 other groups that all had at least 4-5 people. Funny that it was so busy the year it's "closed".

Carts are getting down there - there were only 3 working ones, and they are in pretty rough shape. That was the only slight downside.

If you are camping, I would suggest our spot down by Woodland 9/Bear 11. It was an awesome spot. There's a wall of brush with a bench that I assume Infra folks made, underneath an overhang where we made our fire pit. Unlimited kindling for fire, and it was a nice cool, shady spot, very quiet and far away from the rest of the guests...er friends.

Thanks for the detailed update, Roggen. Fingers crossed this maintenance kick continues for another couple of weeks -- we'll be there from the 5th to the 8th.

We Will See...

For those who don't know, our group had the bunkhouse reserved (the "cabin" down by Chesnut) for the upcoming weekend. Since the Chesnut area is part of the area that got shutdown I had reached out to John about it. He continued to say he didn't know for sure for about 2 weeks, but then went on to say that there was still camping available around the Honka but sounded like the Bunkhouse was a no go. I asked him politely if we could get a refund as our group was only a few weeks away, and each time he said there was still camping available. After the third time texting him for a refund and getting the same answers, I Facebook messaged the Highbridge Hills account, basically laying out the situation and how we are not able to camp due to lack of resources and such a late notice regarding Chesnut not being available. Whoever was running the account (I assume either John or Abby) went on to ask me for my mailing address and that they would mail me my money back. While mailing money sounded weird and old school, I gave my information and now we will see what happens. Again, I had no expectations going in, but i'm hoping this is a turn for the better for them.

For those who don't know, our group had the bunkhouse reserved (the "cabin" down by Chesnut) for the upcoming weekend. Since the Chesnut area is part of the area that got shutdown I had reached out to John about it. He continued to say he didn't know for sure for about 2 weeks, but then went on to say that there was still camping available around the Honka but sounded like the Bunkhouse was a no go. I asked him politely if we could get a refund as our group was only a few weeks away, and each time he said there was still camping available. After the third time texting him for a refund and getting the same answers, I Facebook messaged the Highbridge Hills account, basically laying out the situation and how we are not able to camp due to lack of resources and such a late notice regarding Chesnut not being available. Whoever was running the account (I assume either John or Abby) went on to ask me for my mailing address and that they would mail me my money back. While mailing money sounded weird and old school, I gave my information and now we will see what happens. Again, I had no expectations going in, but i'm hoping this is a turn for the better for them.

John is the only admin on the facebook page. I hope you get your refund bro. Id like to know if you do it would restore a glimmer of hope.

Latest posts