• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Get rid of Jon and Abby. I like Jon, he's a talker has heart, but he is in way over his head. I have been going to Highbridge since 2005, and saw it start slow, get awesome, and then drop off. We stayed at Honka for a batchelor party and two of my buddies left because it was so gross. Have less but in great shape and then build. Jon has 59 projects in 20-60% of completion. Structure events and activities in such a way as to respect your neighbors. Loud events like infrasound that result in overdoses and course destruction do not win local favor.

Keep it rustic but nice.

Also, pump the portapotties - normally hey are full to about 3" below the seat and smell terrible.

I agree with a lot of the other input as well.

Abby had no place there - she was bugging my group to get hookers out at the bachelor party, and wouldn't leave us alone. Bothered the guests while getting paid...? Counterproductive. Message me for more - I know a lot about that place.

Hi, we are pleased and encouraged to hear all the positive comments. This leads us to believe that there is a future for disc golf on this property. We are open to any suggestions concerning development, management, and property improvements. We would appreciate the opportunity to meet and talk directly. Ann and Roger

See keeping this place in pristine shape would NOT take all the miracles people are saying it would take. Here's a couple things that could be done right now to get the place in prime (not just ok like it is now) disc golf shape. Hell I'd do it my damn self if I knew John wouldn't screw it up again:

1) Clear all the junk, woodpiles, half finsihed projects out of the way and view of all the fairways, and KEEP IT THAT WAY

2) Trim up the really overgrown tree branches that are completely blocking the airways on some holes (Granite 15 and Bear 10 come to mind)

3) This would cost money, but not a fortune - pour cement to stabilize certain baskets on Woodland, fix the bent/half crushed Gold 14 basket, and pull as many baskets from Chestnut that are the same, and put em' on Bear. Get those AWFUL green ones out of there.

4) Whomever is running reservations, whenever liscenses are renewed/purchased, whatever, mark which camping/lodging spot is taken on a calendar so as not to double book.

5) Communicate event dates and goings on on social media effectively (not through 3 seperated HBH pages and personal accounts).

Do this and you bring the quiality of a HBH visit from a 6 to a 9. Guranteed. If you disagree please tell me how this WOULDN'T work (for at least pure disc golfing experience).

I agree with this completely. John wasted a lot of time starting a new project only to abandon it for the next new project. Hardly any of his time was spent improving the course or infrastructure. I think priority at this point is keeping a mower running and improving the golf course, infrastructure and public relations as listed above by Jeremy. Trust needs to be rebuilt. Golfers need to trust the course will be mowed, their reservation will be kept, or the county doesn't show up and shut the place down before they make this a destination.

If I stopped by and played without paying, would there be any issues? I'm not gonna pay for a course that isn't maintained.

The courses aren't in bad shape really. Infrasound did a decent job cleaning up again. Theres a camper on gold and a few random trash piles and firepits. I doubt bears been mowed but otherwise everything else besides chestnut is playable. As far as paying, John is still operational as far as I know so you might run into him but unlikely.

I can think of two in Minnesota that are sustaining, right near each other. Looking at all the information I have, DG is a big thing here in Wisco and the Sota. You look at this board, or other web based sites out there dedicated to DG, and you'd think the two states would be giving Emporia a run for it's money. I'm a lucky man as my partner is also avid about the sport, HBH is one of the places on our list of courses we are going to (3 hours away), and I don't see any reason, with the right mgt. and the right marketing that HBH could be the place we want it to be. I hope they get it worked out...

Bottom line it still is located in no mans land. BRP/VQ/ Byrant lake/Kaposia etc all are within 1hr-ish of the main TC area.

Literally tons of courses within range from great ones locally while HBH is more of an island.

Last edited:
It's more of a business question than a course question.

What capital expenses are needed to construct facilities? Utilities, campground, cabins, etc. You've got to be able to cover that, plus interest, plus profit.

What ongoing expenses would be needed? It's more than just mowing the course. Staffing, if you're expecting lots of people. You've got to take in enough money to pay staff, pay ongoing expenses like equipment repairs, pay licensing, permits, and taxes, insurance, etc., pay the capital expenses, plus profit.

Are we talking about covering land costs, or even interest and taxes on the land, out of this venture?

How many disc golfers would it take to generate this sort of income? And would they come year-round, in northern Wisconsin, or do they all have to show up in season?

Some great points here. The location makes disc golf revenue scarce in the winter for sure. Whoever manages the place will either need to find another way to make money or a seasonal winter job. However the festivals must bring in a nice rake. Infrasound is a pretty major event with close to 5000 attendees.

If I had a place to park my travel trailer at Highbridge, I would work there for free. That's assuming John and Abby are gone, I wouldn't work for either one.

Last edited:
All I ask for is proof as to who is in charge. I can't give my business with 2 different parties saying they are in charge.

Wow. Talk about a Saga.

Just from a sheer management perspective, the depth and breadth of the issues put forth in this thread are astounding. It seriously reminds me so much of the situation we took over from when we bought the Ski Area two years ago. Previous management had been mind-blowingly sketchy and impossible to nail down any semblance of reliable information- be it starting dates, hours of operation, schedule of events- literally nothing was a given. Although the mountain itself was incredible, the amenities had deteriorated to a point where they were a liability and customer confidence was at near zero- even the most hardcore skiers that lived here their whole life were ready to throw in the towel much like many posting here. Also, any direct customer service interactions with management were akin to rolling the dice- you could walk away feeling better or you could leave to pack your **** and never come back. You CANNOT create a flourishing business environment with a culture like that.

First and foremost is to go as public as possible with the news that the old norm is out, a new management team is in, and COMMUNICATE THE CHANGES IN GOALS OF THE NEW ORGANIZATION AS CLEARLY AS YOU CAN. The next step is to OVERSHARE MEDIA. Pictures, stories, plans, updates... They need to be almost daily if not multiple times per day. You should have a core group of people who are just out collecting media to share while they're doing their thing, be it playing or working. You can't just say you're doing it, you have to show people ad nauseum. Workers need to take pictures as they do ANYTHING, and the same goes for any ongoing project- people need to actually see progress and the deeper you go the more they love it!

I mean, we JUST went through almost this exact situation- and ended up doing such a killer job rebranding the place, we won an award from Ski Area Management (an org and magazine in the field) for our recipe. If anyone over there busting ass to turn that place around has any questions about aggressively rebranding a business with killer base potential but a history of overwhelming sketchiness/confusion, hit me up anytime. It's a tough nut to crack but at least nobody there got evac'd from a dead chairlift or broke their neck so you're way ahead of where we started from!

From this great distance, I wonder how much the disc golf at Highbridge Hills is a business, and how much it's just a sideline to other things (including just personal ownership of the land).

All of the good advice about making it more businesslike, or reaching its potential, seem to assume the former.

At the very least, despite all the issues, it strikes me that John has made his property available for what is, at least at times when it's mown, a terrific disc golf experience.

From this great distance, I wonder how much the disc golf at Highbridge Hills is a business, and how much it's just a sideline to other things (including just personal ownership of the land).

All of the good advice about making it more businesslike, or reaching its potential, seem to assume the former.

At the very least, despite all the issues, it strikes me that John has made his property available for what is, at least at times when it's mown, a terrific disc golf experience.

When it's mowed, there is nothing quite like the actual on-course experience at HBH. It really is a magical place. In many ways, it feels like you actually have to try to F it up...yet they've found ways to do it.

I've heard so much about this dam course, I just want to play it. I've already made my mind up on how ****ed it seems.

Believe me I get it. When I was a green horn and learned the craft on a private course. It was a well managed solid course in the 1990's that never could really make any money.

Here is what I know about outdoor recreation. After living it, breathing it and teaching it for over twenty years. If you got what people want they will travel to get to it. With in reason, though.

No matter how well managed your 300 foot ski hill is it's a ****ing 300 foot ski hill. No matter how well mowed, signaged, etc your pitch and put course is its still a ****ing pitch and putt.

I'll make my decision on this matter when I drive up from the lower Midwest!

Last edited:
There's no reason to tell people to stay away right now other than it sounds/seems like some sort of battle between people who want to run the place. I received a PM and while I will not disclose from who or what it's about, I still haven't gotten any definite word who I would pay if I wanted to go there today. If some of the statements are correct, I wouldn't pay John, but I have no way of knowing this and no way of knowing how to pay someone else besides him.

Other than that, sounds like courses are in great shape and that place is absolutely phenomenal. I haven't been to another place where there's at least 5 courses (not including combining holes from multiple courses) all literally in 1 place to begin and branch out from there. Absolutely the best.

Some great points here. The location makes disc golf revenue scarce in the winter for sure. Whoever manages the place will either need to find another way to make money or a seasonal winter job. However the festivals must bring in a nice rake. Infrasound is a pretty major event with close to 5000 attendees.

5000 attendees? Holy crap, even if they pulled in $10 for each attendee that's $50,000 for one weekend. I can see why they want this music festival. Long live infrasound!

Still trying to figure out the camping situation if anyone could shed light.... I'm aware that Chestnut is closed but you can still camp over by Blueberry/Bear/Woodland section? Is this where everyone from Infrasound camped?

Still trying to figure out the camping situation if anyone could shed light.... I'm aware that Chestnut is closed but you can still camp over by Blueberry/Bear/Woodland section? Is this where everyone from Infrasound camped?

Unless you hear different from the county, you cannot camp anywhere on the property.

So did all the tweakers @ Infrasound camp off property?

No. They just camped illegally. Same with everyone who's been there for DG recently. John will just tell you to say you are helping him clean up. Apparently you are allowed to stay there without the campground permits, etc, if you are an employee (not sure if that's actually true, but John thinks it is).

We camped there a month ago and had no issues.

Last year, we were told to leave by a cop who showed up at like 11pm on a Saturday night. They told us we are allowed to stay on property John actually owns (basically the clubhouse area, part of the parking lot, and some random plots on Gold).

I was told on InfraSound's FB that they are working with the actual land owner and got appropriate permits for everything.

We are still all confused who the actual land owner is in regards to any previous "deal" that may have happened to allow John to run HBH for roughly 20 ish years.

Does a verbal agreement hold up in court? If they "kick" John out from running it, do tee pads/baskets technically belong to him as well? Idk I think this could be a very drawn out long process which would benefit nobody.

Latest posts