• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Our group just got back from our 7th annual High Bridge Trip. Courses were mowed and looking good. Staff at the hill were friendly and helpful. We once again had a great trip, and if anyone is thinking about heading up there to play in the near future, courses are in good shape. The one thing that needs more attention is trimming branches on some holes to open up fairway lanes; It made it more challenging on some holes, which we were ok with.

I reread my post and kinda sound like a dick. my bad. so were you talking about chestnut or the entire experience?

Long story.

We arrived on Thursday after being awake all night driving (completely unrelated issue) and playing a couple courses in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We initially went to Chestnut as this as where we were told that we would be able to socialize best. Well, that didn't work out and we were asked to move to the Hill. We got there and we had asked a few times to be put near people so that we could socialize and enjoy our time at HBH. We were greeted by John who was mowing...

Little did we know, John was mowing our campsite...on the side of 18 Gold's Fairway. There were people on The Hill near Honka but we were told there were to be 100-125 people (complete bullspit exageration) camping this weekend and he would surely put some people down with us. We begrudgingly set up and he brought wood and Rocks for a fire.

We slept as we had been up all night the previous but that Nasty Nasty storm hit at like 0330.

Next day (Friday), we went to Sandy Point in the AM as NWO was Saturday/Sunday. (on a side note, that course was effing prime when we played...) We returned to yet again no body around us. We went up to visit and meet the group that was hanging near Honka and made some great friends. They invited us to move up and join them and we had planned on doing so on Saturday (or leaving slightly early and heading South towards Milwaukee).

Saturday we played Blueberry and relaxed for a bit. Blueberry was in great shape! After this, we found and rented a cart to play Granite (best course we played here). The cart made it infinitely easier to get around and visit (new) friends. We were also invited to a night round on Woodland, which was most excellent (but 4hrs of 16 person Mob Golf). Again, no one joined our site. One couple looked where we were. Apparently, they specifically asked to be "secluded" and when this was the site they were given, they played a round and left without camping.

By Sunday morning, the cut grass trail up the hill was just slick enough to become muddy and we barely made it out after we packed our sites up.

All in all, it was a great weekend but there were a LOT of broken promises, a lot of talk that went no where and a lot of memories made.

As a side note: We were secluded but there were other groups that were put down on the fairway of Gold 8 (who also asked to be near people) and a couple other spots on Gold. Just kind of crazy that you can't be where you want to be (or at least NEAR where you want to be)

Its a lot easier with a centralized campground at chestnut. Camping off the fairways is not ideal in my opinion and john definetly threw campsites together last minute.

Its a lot easier with a centralized campground at chestnut. Camping off the fairways is not ideal in my opinion and john definetly threw campsites together last minute.

being a "destination," I would strongly discourage him from "half-assing" the sleeping arrangements when people are coming from so far away...

Had this not happened, I think my overall opinion would be better.

being a "destination," I would strongly discourage him from "half-assing" the sleeping arrangements when people are coming from so far away...

This is exactly the reason I don't go up there. 7hour drive to find out you're not going to stay where you were told you were going to stay is ridiculous.

Half-assing is the name of the game at Highbridge, unfortunately. The most maddening property in disc golf...

We never ask John where to set up, we just pick somewhere and do it and he's never told us to move.

Maybe now he is just more concerned about people staying on the few little plots he actually owns? Thats what it sounds like based on setting people up on Gold 8 and 18...I think he owns some small plots out there on Gold.

Wow.... what a Labor Day weekend. Joined Redae and 5 others.... and had the time of our lives. Every year we fear the worst and in the end, everything works out. We banded together and figured out our campsite on Gold 8 near "Don's Galvanized Cabin" .... Built a tarp city over the fire and then played disc from sun up to sun down Fri-Sun hitting all courses with the CROWN JEWEL.

Is Highbridge a little weird? Yeah but that's what makes it the Mecca and provides for constant laughter around the campsite.

Buzzflicker and Abby were as cordial as can be and we are beyond appreciative for them mowing Bear and getting the courses in great shape. Glad we could meet up at the storm and chat on the courses .... sorry I missed your post, Buzzflicker on playing with us. Wasn't sure if you were "on the clock" but invite extended for Labor Day next year. Glad you enjoyed our walkout songs.

Cart was available to us for Granite during the storm on Sunday and we continue to be shocked at those that go up to Highbridge and just don't hit the courses.... More open for us I guess.

Already jacked for year #8 and can't stop thinking about those sweet tunnel shots on Bear.

Wow.... what a Labor Day weekend. Joined Redae and 5 others.... and had the time of our lives. Every year we fear the worst and in the end, everything works out. We banded together and figured out our campsite on Gold 8 near "Don's Galvanized Cabin" .... Built a tarp city over the fire and then played disc from sun up to sun down Fri-Sun hitting all courses with the CROWN JEWEL.

Is Highbridge a little weird? Yeah but that's what makes it the Mecca and provides for constant laughter around the campsite.

Buzzflicker and Abby were as cordial as can be and we are beyond appreciative for them mowing Bear and getting the courses in great shape. Glad we could meet up at the storm and chat on the courses .... sorry I missed your post, Buzzflicker on playing with us. Wasn't sure if you were "on the clock" but invite extended for Labor Day next year. Glad you enjoyed our walkout songs.

Cart was available to us for Granite during the storm on Sunday and we continue to be shocked at those that go up to Highbridge and just don't hit the courses.... More open for us I guess.

Already jacked for year #8 and can't stop thinking about those sweet tunnel shots on Bear.

Im a volunteer for free disc golf. That being said I appreciated the $40 tip! I could feel the intensity of your group and my buddies and I have a similar setup so I know scheduling is tight especially with the rain delay. Your intros were pretty epic man plus 7 years = highbridge legends in my book.

Just played Blueberry yesterday and someone moved another pin - hole 16 now is in the long position; had to walk the fairway cause I thought it was stolen or something haha.

Quite fun playing these alt. positions I didn't know existed, hopefully they do some more of that on the other courses if the option is available.

Just played Blueberry yesterday and someone moved another pin - hole 16 now is in the long position; had to walk the fairway cause I thought it was stolen or something haha.

Quite fun playing these alt. positions I didn't know existed, hopefully they do some more of that on the other courses if the option is available.

Right? Imagine how much MORE awesome those courses could be with 3+ pins on every hole!

Multiple baskets on every hole for Blueberry and Granite would be amazing.
I should really get another trip in to HH before the snow comes.

John didn't pay for the baskets he has. What makes you think someone will give him more????

The manufacturer could insist that John pays before the baskets are sent. Seems simple.

Anyway, it is a pipe dream. John isn't about investing in disc golf. John is about squeezing out anything that he can get from those courses.

I just like to day dream about HBH courses having the tees, signs, and baskets of Rollin Ridge.

Oh my god. I'd never leave.

Our league used to go to highbridge every other year. But the drama and dealing with crap just kept going up. So we switched to rollin Ridge, and all the parties involved said "Yep no more HBH"

A lure for women?

Cause we are generally beating them off with a stick??

LOL

In the past year he tried to move 2 women in to "help" him, Tonya and Angela. Both had better sense that to stay. I guess he reaches out to women disc golfers often saying hes looking for "employees". Really why do you think he hired abby?

Latest posts