• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Question, from a distance: If the courses span properties owned by a number of different people, doesn't that make it inherently fragile? Are there easements prohibiting various owners from cutting off various parts of the course?

I originally assumed it was all on land owned by John, or perhaps John and a couple of neighbors. I gather from recent posts that this is not the case.

Like groundhog day

MM:
Here's a chapter for the book.

"D-Day: May 18, 2018 (death to disc day)

A friend and I had heard HH was the mecca. That we had to go. And so we did. I texted John asking about details, of which little I got. He promised a place to rest our heads and be out of the weather. We took out inaugural journey in October 2017. After our six hour drive, we arrived there in the dark. He initially said there "may be room in the bunkhouse". Carts would also be available for gold and granite. On our way, he said we'd have the shower building side, since the big side might have 5 people the next night.

We found the correct door in the dark (we hoped). There was a tiny kitchen and 2 air mattresses. Then there was a sheet hanging over a door-less opening. A little spooked in the dark in the northwoods, we decided to look behind the sheet. 2 more bedrooms. Empty, but a few personal belongings. Not wanting to invade personal space, but wanting to assure not getting killed by an axe murderer that night, we snooped into the large side, to find it empty and quite, umm, odd (more later). Somehow, we managed to get some sleep.

The next morning, the place looked quite different in the light. Excited that there were showers (yeah, I love a shower to wake me), I headed over to the shower building. Hmm. Weird. A couch in the shower building. I guess it is a 200 foot walk. And a fridge. And a washer from 1975. Whatever. So I head back to the showers. Old school. I picked one with a curtain, because, you know, the axe murderer. Turned it on. Nothing. F. I guess the axe murdered will see my junk. Head to the next stall. A trickle. Tried all the stalls. One had a stream about what I can piss after 6 beers. Oh well, it's cheap. And oh yeah, I f'ing forgot a towel. T shirt for the drying win! Before I left, I checked out the women's side. No better.

Disc golf. Holy crap....you guys know. Worth the trip right there. 2 awesome days of golf. Even though I f'ed every other word during playing the Bear. (day 3 was cancelled due to crazy rain that left the courses under water. Didn't want to drive home soaking wet)

The first night, we decided to play the night course that was touted online. Easy, right? Start on hole one and follow the signs and glow sticks. Which are dead. Nope. Got through 3 and could not find four. Made up the next few holes we could find and called it a night.

Day 1: 4 carts by the 'pro shop'. One works. Died on Granite. Texted John. No response. We ran into John that night by the bunk house. He told us all kinds of bunk. We believed it. The borrowed carts were just returned 2 days ago. On a huge semi. He tells us there's a big night ace race that night. Cancelled from rain. We played anyway, since he informed us the prior night that the night course and other course were combined and now we knew where to go.

Day 2 & 3: awesome disc. So many oddities. You know what I'm talking about.
BTW, no one else stayed in the bunkhouse. We saw a hand full of people the whole time. But, it's October, right, the season is over?
All in all, such a great trip. Good friend, good beer, good bourbon, good disc. Poor John just has a lot on his plate and needs more time to finish the projects, right?

Spring 2018. I tell my wife she just needs to come with this time. See the beauty. Let the dog (black lab) run around in nature. She says, yeah, but....all the weird things you talked about. Ah, forget about that. No, she says, I need details. I need to know what I'm getting into. How do you explain the bunk house, the half-finished music stage, the torn down volleyball court, the FREAKY looking clown hole thing, the half-finished tree house, the half-finished cabins, the 'pro shop', the 1982 golf carts, the scorekeeper's building with water and gatorade from 2007, the showers, 5,500 tires, etc. Ah, trust me, it's so beautiful!!!
April 2018. John tells us that the cabins will be ready. Awesome! Oh, such a relief. My wife will be so happy to not stay at the bunkhouse. All he needs is a credit card number.
May 3, 2018. John tell us the cabins are ready, just waiting for the ground to thaw to trench electric. Meh, I don't need electricity.
May 16, 2018. John tells us he's had issues with the zoning people, so both new cabins aren't ready. Tanya and her husband are "at" the bunkhouse on the shower side (read: living at)
We get there at night again, but this time in daylight. While we're carrying our stuff into the large side of the bunk house, Tanya's dog attacks ours in the hallway. Viciously. Had a hard time getting it off. Text John to ask if anyone if at the log cabin, since this a deal breaker for my wife. He says "can you talk to Tanya..their dog is good. I'm sure they will keep it at bay". Umm. Yeah, I have proof their dog is not good. Bottom line, we're **** out of luck, we will need to chaperone our dog 24/7.
No night disc. No way I'm leaving my wife alone with the other dog and the party going on next door, with her eyes the size of silver dollars. My future > one round of night disc.
May 17, 2018. AMAZING day of disc. Gosh I love that place. Played a night round. Took my wife and friend up top to see the stars without light pollution. One cart available for one round, but this time my expectations were low anyway.
May 18, 2018 (d-day). We play 2 morning rounds and return for lunch. While finishing lunch in the bunkhouse (btw, the stove and fridge work, as does the massage chair!), there's a knock on the door. My wife answers the door. I hear some confusion. I start paying attention and hear someone say "you must vacate the premises now!" Huh??? So, I rapidly go to the door and say, um, excuse me? He repeats it. I think I stammered. What are you talking about? He says, quite annoyed "this place is shut down, it's been placquered, you can ask the sheriff's department, you must leave now!". I ask him to repeat again. "It's been placquered!". I ask, what in the world is placquered? At this point, his cohort joins him at the door (there's 3 of them total, also kicking out the people who JUST GOT THERE that morning for a bachelor's weekend from the other building). They settle down and realize we're not the problem, that John's problem was just thrust upon us. At quite an inopportune time. They explain that the entire place is shut down. That there was a meeting at 9am, John was there. Whaaa? Sweet innocent John? Couldn't be. We had texted him that morning telling him there was zero hot water in the showers. He said a plumber would be out today. He'd tell us if there was trouble, wouldn't he. Nope. Turns out nothing was up to code. The shower building plumbing was held together by duct tape. That the thousands of tires were supposed to be removed. That he never got inspections as required. That he never got licenses for the residences. It went on and on and on.
We had 10 minutes to leave. It was illegal to be on premises. Whelp. F.
After my wife batted her eyelashes and pointed out we had NOWHERE to go with the dog, they got a lot nicer and gave recommendations for a hotel in Ashland. And told us we just needed to work on packing up and leaving when we could.
So, left we did. With the dog. To Eau Claire. And had some insanely good beer at The Brewing Projeckt. And Played Axldog Acers DGC in the morning, really fun private course.
Gosh, I hope HH reopens. We'd love to make another trip this summer/spring.

Sad to say that you and your experience(s) are one of many. I'd venture to say that thousands of people have experienced the same thing. I (we) did almost every time we were there (8 in total) different day, different weird sh!t going on, same stories of wonder from a wandering John, and still not much getting done or improved on the courses. I can take the ****ty weird gross nonworking conditions of the shelters (yes just shelter, not much of a house). Gotta stay at the Honka!!! Or just camp outside on the grass. Stumble into the back of the truck if it rains at night.

The sad part was that aside from the unecessary work to make alternate tees and turn two amazing courses into hybrids called Blue Ridge and Granite Berry, there was so much ADHD thrown into other get rich quick schemes (more like just keeping your head above the water) that DG essentially became secondary. And to make it all worse those schemes that drained additional sorely needed efforts, were so poorly planned that execution was bound to fail. And they failed so bad that it left a pile of rubble like a warzone everywhere. This piling up just continued to erode away at amazing DG. It hurt a little bit to see it fade. From someone with a dream to own something similar to this, it hurt a lot. Best wishes to you Tom!!!! I'm here to help.

Why has no one mentioned Abby??? Maybe I missed it.

I've been looking at the plat map and it looks like Gold #12 and #13 will be affected (these are JJs parcels) and Blueberry #3, #4 looks like it may be just outside of the boundary line. His only access to the honka parcel is from the south so he could legally cut a road through Blueberry 5 if he wanted. He has no legal access to the honka house from the parking lot. I have some pdf files with satellite photos showing boundary lines for all JJs properties that I can send you or Tom so you can see exactly how the courses will be affected should he decide not to sell.

Sounds like I need to bite my tongue, resurrect discussions with JJ, and offer to buy him out. Help him to avoid the hassles and heartache of a losing battle. Save face JJ. You're not a bad person, I never thought so. The Mecca can move on and be all that it should.

The sad part was that aside from the unecessary work to make alternate tees and turn two amazing courses into hybrids called Blue Ridge and Granite Berry....

Wait...John created those alt tee spots?

I really enjoyed the hybrid courses. Granberry especially is really fun.

Wait...John created those alt tee spots?

That would be very interesting and since John told us every year we went there that he has never disc golfed, maybe he did physical labor to "create" them but highly highly doubtful he had the idea or knowledge to make those and think it over about how good the holes/courses would be.

Can't believe I haven't thought of this...
Will you honor the lifetime membership I bought from John??? Which WI disc golfer could have passed up that $365 lifetime deal for entrance to the Mecca!!!

Question, from a distance: If the courses span properties owned by a number of different people, doesn't that make it inherently fragile? Are there easements prohibiting various owners from cutting off various parts of the course?

I originally assumed it was all on land owned by John, or perhaps John and a couple of neighbors. I gather from recent posts that this is not the case.
Highbridge Hills was originally going to be a ball golf course. I'm not quite sure how it became a DG complex, but when it did I believe some but not all lots were bought by disc golfers, and some other lots are owned by people affiliated with Highbridge Hills LLC. John only owns 15 acres on Hwy. 13 where his home is and which doesn't affect the complex at all, and also the four lots on Gold and Blueberry. It's complicated and I don't know the whole story yet, but I don't see the remaining landowners as being a problem or a burden on MMs' plans. I think they are all frustrated with John and are ready for a change. I don't think they have had a landowners association meeting yet, but I'm hearing positive things from them so far, and I believe they will be receptive to what Tom and his team have planned.

Highbridge Hills was originally going to be a ball golf course. I'm not quite sure how it became a DG complex, but when it did I believe some but not all lots were bought by disc golfers, and some other lots are owned by people affiliated with Highbridge Hills LLC. John only owns 15 acres on Hwy. 13 where his home is and which doesn't affect the complex at all, and also the four lots on Gold and Blueberry. It's complicated and I don't know the whole story yet, but I don't see the remaining landowners as being a problem or a burden on MMs' plans. I think they are all frustrated with John and are ready for a change. I don't think they have had a landowners association meeting yet, but I'm hearing positive things from them so far, and I believe they will be receptive to what Tom and his team have planned.

A significant portion of the property proper is in the name of Ann Marie Juaire Trust Agreement. This accounts for almost everything north of the Bear/Gold northern areas, 210 acres total, and almost all contiguous.

Sad to say that you and your experience(s) are one of many. I'd venture to say that thousands of people have experienced the same thing. I (we) did almost every time we were there (8 in total) different day, different weird sh!t going on, same stories of wonder from a wandering John, and still not much getting done or improved on the courses. I can take the ****ty weird gross nonworking conditions of the shelters (yes just shelter, not much of a house). Gotta stay at the Honka!!! Or just camp outside on the grass. Stumble into the back of the truck if it rains at night.

The sad part was that aside from the unecessary work to make alternate tees and turn two amazing courses into hybrids called Blue Ridge and Granite Berry, there was so much ADHD thrown into other get rich quick schemes (more like just keeping your head above the water) that DG essentially became secondary. And to make it all worse those schemes that drained additional sorely needed efforts, were so poorly planned that execution was bound to fail. And they failed so bad that it left a pile of rubble like a warzone everywhere. This piling up just continued to erode away at amazing DG. It hurt a little bit to see it fade. From someone with a dream to own something similar to this, it hurt a lot. Best wishes to you Tom!!!! I'm here to help.

Why has no one mentioned Abby??? Maybe I missed it.

I did forget to mention the part when Abby's dog bit me. And John's story of Abby to us which I now should assume is all BS.

A significant portion of the property proper is in the name of Ann Marie Juaire Trust Agreement. This accounts for almost everything north of the Bear/Gold northern areas, 210 acres total, and almost all contiguous.
I believe the Juaires also own just about all common areas not parceled out as residential lots such as the top of the hill area around the clubhouse and other places around some courses. I assume that they must have owned the entire property at one time before the ball course was proposed. And compared the entire property, there really aren't that many residential lots to have to deal with, and not all of those would be a problem.

Can't believe I haven't thought of this...
Will you honor the lifetime membership I bought from John??? Which WI disc golfer could have passed up that $365 lifetime deal for entrance to the Mecca!!!
I think I heard Tom say he would honor those memberships but don't quote me on that. So are you back in Mqt. for good? Any new courses planned?

I think I heard Tom say he would honor those memberships but don't quote me on that. So are you back in Mqt. for good? Any new courses planned?

Yes, back for good and glad to be back. I also have a Lifetime membership in Charlotte DGC, so hopefully my HHSC membership won't also go to waste.

YES!
Al Quaal will be resurrected and we are planning installation now.
New course development in Forestville.
MiDNR has asked us to resurrect a preliminary layout for Blueberry Ridge.
Still pushing for at least a temp portable course on Gentz's unfinished back 9 bolf course .
Powder Mill has the potential to expand across the river.
And a new Watch it Bend private course is not to far off once I close on some land.

Highbridge Hills was originally going to be a ball golf course. ... I believe some ... lots were bought by disc golfers, and some other lots are owned by people affiliated with Highbridge Hills LLC. John... owns ... the four lots on Gold and Blueberry. I don't see the remaining landowners as being a problem or a burden on MMs' plans. ... I don't think they have had a landowners association meeting yet, but I'm hearing positive things from them so far, and I believe they will be receptive to what Tom and his team have planned.

I am working to organize a Lot Owners Association. There are basically 12 lot owners. 4 are disc golfers, Roger, John, and his sons make another 4, and 4 more are from the original ball golf days. It will take several weeks to get the initial organizing done. I don't yet know the attitudes/desire/expectations of most of the owners. Our first task will be to gather that information so that we can form an association to benefit the lot owners and Highbridge Disc Golf. Indeed whatever benefits the course should benefit the lot owners!

I am working to organize a Lot Owners Association. There are basically 12 lot owners. 4 are disc golfers, Roger, John, and his sons make another 4, and 4 more are from the original ball golf days. It will take several weeks to get the initial organizing done. I don't yet know the attitudes/desire/expectations of most of the owners. Our first task will be to gather that information so that we can form an association to benefit the lot owners and Highbridge Disc Golf. Indeed whatever benefits the course should benefit the lot owners!

Why? There are already recorded Covenants, Conveyances, and Restrictions (CCRs) on the properties. John is the head of the ARC (architectural review committee) that approves any changes to the CCRs. However, those deeds for your small parcels were passed on from a land division of the Roger Juaire properties, of which all remaining large parcels are (300+ acres) in the Anne Marie Juaire Trust

Yes, back for good and glad to be back. I also have a Lifetime membership in Charlotte DGC, so hopefully my HHSC membership won't also go to waste.

YES!
Al Quaal will be resurrected and we are planning installation now.
New course development in Forestville.
MiDNR has asked us to resurrect a preliminary layout for Blueberry Ridge.
Still pushing for at least a temp portable course on Gentz's unfinished back 9 bolf course .
Powder Mill has the potential to expand across the river.
And a new Watch it Bend private course is not to far off once I close on some land.
Blueberry Ridge would be an epic course and I'm pretty sure Nate is committed to putting a hole across the river at PM. It looks like he's got it laid out with flags already. Can't wait for the Buck Buchanan memorial tourney when he's done with the redesign. Lots of work to do before then.:thmbup:

Blueberry Ridge would be an epic course and I'm pretty sure Nate is committed to putting a hole across the river at PM. It looks like he's got it laid out with flags already. Can't wait for the Buck Buchanan memorial tourney when he's done with the redesign. Lots of work to do before then.:thmbup:

Yeah Nate is planning on more beautification before hosting a memorial event, although we do recognize that 2019 is the 5 year anniversary so we may push ahead.

I'm also still sitting on my 18 portable pro model Discatcher 28 chain baskets from my private course too. If I don't get moving on something of my own, the plan is to use them either at a temp course, or install them at Powder Mill so it will have two sets of permanent pins on every hole!

Why? There are already recorded Covenants, Conveyances, and Restrictions (CCRs) on the properties. John is the head of the ARC (architectural review committee) that approves any changes to the CCRs. However, those deeds for your small parcels were passed on from a land division of the Roger Juaire properties, of which all remaining large parcels are (300+ acres) in the Anne Marie Juaire Trust

Where can I get the specifics of the ARC and the CCR's?

Farewell Highbridge Hills

Okay i'll take a turn telling a HBH story. Video here or read on..

https://youtu.be/iw3ezHrXnK4

I want to make it clear that I don't take any pleasure in bad mouthing people. Alas, this is another story about broken dreams.

7-8 years ago, a couple friends and I took a road/camping trip in MN to see how many courses we could hit in a long weekend. It was our first disc golf dedicated trip. The next year we added another friend and another and it quickly became an annual tradition. We dubbed it "DGW" (disc golf weekend). Eventually it would get extended to nearly a week long trip. It became something we looked forward to all year. Planning began not long after the most recent trip was finished.

After DGW2 was spent at Mt. Du Lac, we began hunting for our next destination when we discovered HBH. "300 acres of disc golf" they said. We really had no idea what to expect, but through the excitement and hype we began calling it "disceyland". The Magical Kingdom of Disc Golf. This place. This was a place made for us. The purpose of it's existence was to fulfill our dreams. Someone out there in the middle of WI must share these same dreams!

By this time I had moved out of MN and was traveling the west coast, but that didn't mean I was any less dedicated to our DGW trips. When it came to planning DGW3, my job was to book it with Johnny. And what a job it was. I don't need to go into the details as most of you can relate. Let's just say it wasn't like any booking experience I've had before. After a week of daily cat and mouse and a deposit (the main focus), we settled on the bunkhouse after being promised running water. We showed up in the rain and dark. Instead of our host, we found 3 unidentified residents. I gave Johnny a call. Oh, ..we're sharing this bunkhouse. Okay. The next day we learned Mikey was living there as well. Well that's not what we expected but 'hey let's not let it ruin our fun'. And we didn't. Over the next few days we discovered the beauty and magnificence that HBH had to offer. We discovered night golf that year. Johnny brought us firewood and it became all we needed to survive. We lived on Disc Golf. We grilled. We left happy. But we left with a goal. Planning for DGW4 began before we left the grounds. Next year, we're coming back for Honka!

I tried booking Honka all winter. Johnny said he doesn't book that early and didn't remember who I was. I called every month into early spring. Then I called every 2 weeks. Until one day he finally tells me that he booked it with someone else. Ugh! There's literally nothing more I could have done. It was hard to swallow but it looks like DGW4 will be at the bunkhouse again. Hey maybe it actually has running water this year. I booked my flight from Seattle. This year he actually told us upfront that Abby would be staying in the bunkhouse with us (while on the road to the bunkhouse!). We tend to be a pretty open minded and welcoming group. We got along with Mikey and I'm sure we'll get along with Abby. And we did. Abby was actually a pretty good host. She led us on a night round that we wouldn't have experienced otherwise. By the end of the trip, the drama got the best of the group though. It was more than most of the guys bargained for. We were done with the bunkhouse. We contemplated not coming back. But what about the Honka? We never got to stay in the Honka. What if we could finally experience HBH with our own, unshared quarters? So we made a promise to ourselves. If we were unable to book Honka for DGW5, we were not coming back.

That same year, September came and so did the routine shenanigans. I was getting pretty good at it now and I was determined. Johnny finally committed Honka to us and I happily paid my deposit. We celebrated! I booked my flight from Portland. We diligently planned for what would finally be our dream come true. We even made custom T-Shirts with "Honka" on the front. The week before our booking, I called Johnny just to check on things and make sure were all set. He wouldn't answer my calls. Finally I called him on a friends phone and he picked up immediately. He tells me that he booked a music festival on our weekend!

I think by now you get the idea. I won't go on. There is so much more that won't fit in a forum post. If you want to see how the rest played out that year, and what we did INSTEAD of HBH, you can watch this video. One of the guys in our crew makes a hype video for our DGW trip every year.

"Farewell Highbridge Hills"
https://youtu.be/iw3ezHrXnK4

All in all, we were still able to enjoy ourselves, but it was time to say farewell to HBH for DGW.