• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

If somebody wanted a cheap place to stay up In that area, with electricity, would any one have a recommendation? Hotel or campground would be fine. Coming from west central WI so don't really want to drive to the UP to stay. Ashland is expensive.

There is a camper cabin available on site.

Copper state falls was full when I tried and the next closest campground with electricity that I could find was in Drummond.

Good call on Drummond. Don't know why I didn't think to look there. Probably didn't dawn on me how close it would be. I grew up visiting a cabin in Cable every spring.

Pending wife's approval (cuz I don't keep track of our schedule worth a hoot lol) gonna book it for the weekend of Sept. 16. Hopefully I can find my game before then.....

We thought BH10 might be too easy but it's been tested a few times in events now and the scoring spread has been good for Blue level players. We would have changed it if it didn't play well in tournament conditions. It's definitely easier in rec rounds. The temporary short basket on that was set at 115 feet for a tournament and gave players at all levels fits in terms of getting 2s.

Quoting you to ask a random question. I remember way back in the day, what's currently hole 10 of Bear, with the L shaped tee. The tee not used for Bear faced east and had a lane cut through the trees where you could see a white basket. That had to have been for the Whitetail course correct? No other baskets on the property were white. Is the pin position for the current Bear 11 where that Whitetail basket was set? If that's even what that basket was. Also, how far along did that design ever get?

Fantastic job up there by the way. Still my favorite place to play disc golf or just be in general. :thmbup:

Quoting you to ask a random question. I remember way back in the day, what's currently hole 10 of Bear, with the L shaped tee. The tee not used for Bear faced east and had a lane cut through the trees where you could see a white basket. That had to have been for the Whitetail course correct? No other baskets on the property were white. Is the pin position for the current Bear 11 where that Whitetail basket was set? If that's even what that basket was. Also, how far along did that design ever get?

Fantastic job up there by the way. Still my favorite place to play disc golf or just be in general. :thmbup:
We're not even sure who designed some of those Bear holes in the back during the "dark ages". I did hear that some of the Whitetail course had been developed so it could have been. I just realized that it was 15 years ago last week when I left Highbridge right after wrapping up TDing the 2007 Pro Worlds and never returned until Mountain Man took over 3 years ago.

Thanks to Mountain Man for all of the heavy lifting to get HH back. I got to do some of the fun stuff trying to redesign layouts to fit the property ownership situation as it evolved the past few years.

We're not even sure who designed some of those Bear holes in the back during the "dark ages". I did hear that some of the Whitetail course had been developed so it could have been. I just realized that it was 15 years ago last week when I left Highbridge right after wrapping up TDing the 2007 Pro Worlds and never returned until Mountain Man took over 3 years ago.

Thanks to Mountain Man for all of the heavy lifting to get HH back. I got to do some of the fun stuff trying to redesign layouts to fit the property ownership situation as it evolved the past few years.

Appreciate the response. MM and yourself have done a fantastic job up there. :clap::clap::clap:

I was just curious about the Whitetail course that never became a thing. That L tee on Bear was clearly designed and poured for a reason. Nazca lines of HB stuff I guess. ;)

Appreciate the response. MM and yourself have done a fantastic job up there. :clap::clap::clap:

I was just curious about the Whitetail course that never became a thing. That L tee on Bear was clearly designed and poured for a reason. Nazca lines of HB stuff I guess. ;)

Are you talking about hole 10, I believe it is with the curved teepad?

I was pretty intimidated by that downhill shot over that small gully and threw a Star Valk on a perfect S curve and plopped it maybe 30 feet from the basket over the gully.

Was very proud of that shot considering the rainy, extremely wet and muddy conditions the day I took on The Bear.

EDIT: Read your post before that one and confirmed you said 10 ;)

Last edited:
It's official. Booked a campsite in Drummond for the weekend of September 16th. Should get up early enough to play at least one (hopefully 2) courses Friday and then finish it out on Saturday.

Pretty pumped this is actually happening!

What campsite? Mrs. wolf camped in Drummond the same time I was up at Highbridge. She stayed at Two lakes campground. She said it's a nice campground. Rustic and in the middle of nowhere. I'm excited for ya, you'll have your mind blown playing up there. :thmbup:

What campsite? Mrs. wolf camped in Drummond the same time I was up at Highbridge. She stayed at Two lakes campground. She said it's a nice campground. Rustic and in the middle of nowhere. I'm excited for ya, you'll have your mind blown playing up there. :thmbup:

Drummond lake.....right In town. Looked at two lakes, but, no electricity. If I'm gonna go thru the hassle.kf pulling my 28' travel trailer up there, Im plugging it in lol.

Definitely familiar with two lakes. Spent a ton of time up in the Cable/Drummond area. My absolute favorite part of the state.

Drummond lake.....right In town. Looked at two lakes, but, no electricity. If I'm gonna go thru the hassle.kf pulling my 28' travel trailer up there, Im plugging it in lol.

Definitely familiar with two lakes. Spent a ton of time up in the Cable/Drummond area. My absolute favorite part of the state.

Off topic but do you know if the course at the Telemark Resort (now condos only) is still available for play? I've seen recent uDisc reviews of people saying they pulled up and just played it even though the area felt almost all abandoned except for the condos.

I actually called up to the resort about 8-9 months ago I believe and asked if the course was still there and they told me yes it is you just have to be a condo-owner/renter to play it.

Off topic but do you know if the course at the Telemark Resort (now condos only) is still available for play? I've seen recent uDisc reviews of people saying they pulled up and just played it even though the area felt almost all abandoned except for the condos.

I actually called up to the resort about 8-9 months ago I believe and asked if the course was still there and they told me yes it is you just have to be a condo-owner/renter to play it.

I'm not sure. The last time I was by the resort, I didn't know what disc golf was. I'll probably be snooping around that area sometime soon and I'll see if I can ascertain an answer for ya.

Agree that it will be a challenge but some of the things planned for revenue generation beyond disc golf specifically might make it more sustainable in the long run. For example, the camping revenue has been a solid contributor since Tom took over and that will continue to improve. Establishing a pro shop with an online presence along with onsite camper supplies and food sales are some of the more obvious improvements that will help.

That's headed in the right direction. There's a lot more campers than disc golfers, with some overlap. And once they're there, a lot of the campers will give disc golf a try. All good ideas. I would love to see some groomed XC ski/Snowshoe trails or even snowmobile trails up there in the winter. That's a whole other set of maintenance, though.

I played Telemark maybe....3 years? ago. We were walking around the abandoned buildings and some guy pulled up and started yelling at us thinking we were trying to get inside (guessing they have a problem with urban explorers), but once we explained we were just trying to frolf (I mean, we were all wearing bags) he was chill and said yeah go for it, but it's not really maintained. I imagine it's only gotten worse in that regard, but if the baskets are still there you're probably ok to play it.

It was fun, but real rough. The "fairways" were 1 mower wide, if anything was mowed at all.

If somebody wanted a cheap place to stay up In that area, with electricity, would any one have a recommendation? Hotel or campground would be fine. Coming from west central WI so don't really want to drive to the UP to stay. Ashland is expensive.

So, definitely no electricity, but in case anyone else would enjoy it, I have camped on the North Country Scenic Trail a few times when stopping at HBH for only a day or two. There's a NCT parking lot northeast of Copper Falls where you can hop on the trail towards Copper Falls, but it's a number of miles away. I like to hike out a few miles at dusk until it gets dark, set up, sleep, wake up at dawn and have a nice couple mile hike back to the car to warm up. Can travel light as far as backpacking goes when you're only going to be out there for 12 hours or so.

I do this a lot on both North Country in WI and UP, and Ice Age trail in WI, though technically unless you are in a National Forest or on certain DNR land you're only supposed to camp at designated campsites.

Attachments

• North Country 1.png
    North Country 1.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
  • North Country 2.jpg
    North Country 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 16
I played Telemark maybe....3 years? ago. We were walking around the abandoned buildings and some guy pulled up and started yelling at us thinking we were trying to get inside (guessing they have a problem with urban explorers), but once we explained we were just trying to frolf (I mean, we were all wearing bags) he was chill and said yeah go for it, but it's not really maintained. I imagine it's only gotten worse in that regard, but if the baskets are still there you're probably ok to play it.

It was fun, but real rough. The "fairways" were 1 mower wide, if anything was mowed at all.

Before the main resort building got knocked down, it was definitely a target for cheesy urban explorers (I'm one myself lol) but yea I've seen recent uDisc reviews so apparently it does get played and I do believe they are going to keep it as it's an "amenity" for people who own a condo there (condos are all that's left of the resort now).

So, definitely no electricity, but in case anyone else would enjoy it, I have camped on the North Country Scenic Trail a few times when stopping at HBH for only a day or two. There's a NCT parking lot northeast of Copper Falls where you can hop on the trail towards Copper Falls, but it's a number of miles away. I like to hike out a few miles at dusk until it gets dark, set up, sleep, wake up at dawn and have a nice couple mile hike back to the car to warm up. Can travel light as far as backpacking goes when you're only going to be out there for 12 hours or so.

I do this a lot on both North Country in WI and UP, and Ice Age trail in WI, though technically unless you are in a National Forest or on certain DNR land you're only supposed to camp at designated campsites.

I'll add on to this suggestion, same trail system, different area.

The Porcupine Lake Wilderness Area is amazing. There's a trailhead not far from Drummond, off of an old fire lane road. We backpack into the lake for a weekend of fishing. Not a strenuous hike from the trailhead to the lake. Less than 3/4 mile. Beautiful country!!

Due to a miscommunication and prior engagements that I didn't exactly expect, I have to reschedule my pilgrimage to the Hill. Possibly till the spring. Are we 100% confident that disc golf will still be a thing at Highbridge next season?

Latest posts