• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hip/Upper Leg pain?

KRATC

Eagle Member
Hi guys, I was just wondering if you guys have experienced anything like this before. I have taken some time off after a car accident and when I returned I had some trouble getting back into the swing of things. After some field work, I have pain in my hip on the pivot side (right). I am not exactly sure if it is hip or upper leg/ glutt pain. Has anyone else had this before? Could this just be a result of the accident? It is definitely sore after doing some slow run-throughs.

Much appreciated!

It depends on where and what type of pain. If it is a sharp pain I would go see a doctor. If it is a soreness/general pain it could be that there was damage to the muscles and ligaments from your accident and they are tight from non-use. If you are getting a popping feeling where your leg joins your hip I would suspect that it is tight muscles/ligaments that can be resolved with stretching. If you are more specific with where the pain is and what type of pain it would be easier to tell.

Could be from accident or using/ straining new muscles from changing form, or jamming the hip. Could be IT band, in that case get a foam roller, it might hurt at first but it works.

It is a bit tough to describe. It is a deep pain that shows up only when I just start to open up with my hips. It seems to be just under where my leg meets the hip

If you see a doctor, they'll refer you to an orthopod. The ortho will tell you to R I C E Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate. May or may not prescribe Nsaids and/or order x-rays / physical therapy. With no improvement they'll order an MRI. Pending MRI results they'll Decide on treatment.

If It was me I would do like sidewinder says, Stretch/rehab and use a foam roller. Ice it at night, and stay off it if you can. With no improvement schedule an apt with an orthopod.

I've worked at an orthopaedic surgery center for 4 years and know how the system works :)

I crashed on my road bike a while ago, tore hip flexors and a bunch of other muscles in the abdomen.. I still get soreness in the hips occasionally after a round. Roller, stick, stretching etc.. helps.

It sounds like you just need to take it easy and work into some stretches. I would try butterfly stretches, toe touches, and other lower back and leg stretches. Also possibly work into spits (the legs coming out to the sides not front to back) both in a standing position and a sitting position. You don't need to go down far just enough to feel it. You should hold these all these stretches for several mins and work on your breathing as you go through them sinking deeper and deeper into them as you breathe. You should also make sure you workout/warm up before doing these. I have used these to rehab injuries from martial arts. From your description it sounds like the small muscles in the leg/hip region are still weak/injured and are tight due to the injury. It sounds similar to injuries I have had that were resolved with stretching and rest.

Thanks guys! How would I go about using a foam roller? I am not stranger to pre and post athletic stretching but I have never had need to use a roller.

Thanks guys! How would I go about using a foam roller? I am not stranger to pre and post athletic stretching but I have never had need to use a roller.

leave it on the floor. position yourself on top of it, and roll yourself and the foam.

You can make one with stuff laying around as well. 3" pvc pipe with some hard cell foam wrapped around it. I used an old camping sleeping pad. A crossfit gym I used to go to used homemade rollers like this.

Edit to add: The first few times you roll it might be pretty uncomfortable. Stick with it and it will get easier / less uncomfortable.

Thanks guys, I have been doing some of this and it is certainly helping.

Hi guys, I was just wondering if you guys have experienced anything like this before. I have taken some time off after a car accident and when I returned I had some trouble getting back into the swing of things. After some field work, I have pain in my hip on the pivot side (right). I am not exactly sure if it is hip or upper leg/ glutt pain. Has anyone else had this before? Could this just be a result of the accident? It is definitely sore after doing some slow run-throughs.

Much appreciated!

Unfortunately I know what you mean my right hip also hurts on drives rhbh when this happens I just stop x steping and throw from a stop

Latest posts