• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hit a wall.

Tiny

Double Eagle Member
I don't seem to be progressing any further at the same rate. I feel I'd be better off playing games with 3 discs only.

Opto Pure, Teebird and Firebird (for my flick throws)

for a while just to build my game up.

I've been lacking field work, I need to set aside days to do it :/

Stop thinking you need an overstable disc for FH shots - that's one tip right there that will help your game. Don't get me wrong, using them when necessary is a WONDERFUL tool, but so is a hyzerflip flick with an understable disc:) If the Pure and Teebird seem like a great idea to you, do it up! maybe add a mid that's stable or at least an understable driver that you can power down on for when your Pure just won't quite do it.

Also, you've been playing for less than six months...don't get too down on yourself.

**field work can be great, but so can one disc only rounds. try playing with a Teebird only at some point (using your putter for putts, duh) and see how much you can honestly do with one disc. once you open up your eyes to that you'll open that up to all plastic (hence I only carry 6 molds, 8 most if it's a looong/open course). Also, don't forget to mix in putter only rounds! DISCLAIMER: people on this site will tell you one putter round will fix everything...well it won't. It will, however, teach you to throw nice and smooth:)

^that

try a line up like this

putter-driving putter
us mid/os mid
us driver/stable driver/os driver

then field work and lots of rounds = success

^^^Well yeah, but if another disc (let's pick the Predator for ****s sake, let alone something like a Sidewinder or Flow) feels equally as comfortable it's not going to have the same flight...not to mention hand+disc comfort isn't always your best choice in DG.

I don't seem to be progressing any further at the same rate. I feel I'd be better off playing games with 3 discs only.

Opto Pure, Teebird and Firebird (for my flick throws)

for a while just to build my game up.

I've been lacking field work, I need to set aside days to do it :/

You've only been playing for three months. Give it time. As for the "3 discs only", yeah your probably right.

I have been playing a long time, but I only recently started taking it seriously (competing as opposed to just fasting around) but I got stuck...my game just stopped getting better. What helped me? STOP. THINKING. It sounds stupid, but it works. Quit worrying about overstabe understand blab blab...just throw what feels good in your hands. Do that for about a month, then pay more attention to the tech aspect of the game and you will find yourself a much better player.

It takes a long time to be able to get where you would like to be, just focus on your current game as it stands and it will improve.

Rome was not built in a day :)

I don't seem to be progressing any further at the same rate.

Well, progress gets slower and slower the better you get, thats normal. But usualy that does not start after 4 months unless you shoot to the stars right away.

I feel I'd be better off playing games with 3 discs only.

Now why would you do that ?

Bring all your discs and do fieldwork. If you want to improve, do fieldwork, Playing rounds is for fun.

Well, progress gets slower and slower the better you get, thats normal. But usualy that does not start after 4 months unless you shoot to the stars right away.

Now why would you do that ?

Bring all your discs and do fieldwork. If you want to improve, do fieldwork, Playing rounds is for fun.

I think I shot for the stars xD

And I mean for rounds. Field work is different, I'll take all of em that I want to use or have interest in using. The rest will sit at home collecting dust until I decide to resell or give to friends. OR even keep for my collection of discs I won't use. haha.

When I started trying to improve I used Wizards (one for driving, one for putting), a Comet, and a Leopard. I had a Teebird but knew it was too much disc for me. I also had a Buzzz that I also knew could take some OAT so I put that away too. I'm not saying you have to go this route, but it worked for me.

I would go into the field and throw nothing but a stack of Comets for hours, looking like a total idiot. I hated how they felt in my hand and would always release them with tons of wobble or on an unintentional anny line. I couldn't throw a smooth hyzer to save my life. I also couldn't throw my Wizards very far. I'm talking about throwing these discs around 150' in a field (sometimes well populated, for an extra dose of shame for motivation).

I kept on throwing those Comets until the grip started to feel natural. I played putter only rounds at a pitch and putt, then at my home course when it opened back up for the Spring. Now I use my Anode for most holes up to 275' and my Comet or Buzzz up to 325'. I still use the Leopard and Teebird, but I've started to add some faster discs too (flirting with some different warp speed drivers for those 375'+ holes).

This is all to say that if you practice, you'll get there. Find some discs and stick to them. If they feel uncomfortable, throw them until they're not. I switched from a power grip to a fork grip and that helped, but it doesn't matter. Also, my hands are the same size as my own mother's and I can throw a putter, Comet, Buzzz, Nuke--it doesn't matter. Just practice through it--after all, when you first pick up a golf club you're not going to be comfortable, and until you've swung that club many times you won't be comfortable. It's the same with disc golf.

But don't forget to play your game on the course, have fun, and beat your friends.

Want to accelerate your rate of awesomeness? Play three to four times per week with people who are a lot better than you. There's no better way to learn about disc golf--and what you're doing incorrectly--than playing regularly with experienced players.

Want to accelerate your rate of awesomeness? Play three to four times per week with people who are a lot better than you. There's no better way to learn about disc golf--and what you're doing incorrectly--than playing regularly with experienced players.

I don't has no friends :'(

Practicing will always improve you faster than simply playing.

Ask those better players to come and practice with you, maybe they show you some of their routines and drills that made them become better, and maybe they will point out some form flaws you have.

Practicing will always improve you faster than simply playing.

Ask those better players to come and practice with you, maybe they show you some of their routines and drills that made them become better, and maybe they will point out some form flaws you have.

I just need to get back to practicing as much as rounds lol. It's so hard to bring myself out to practice.

It takes years to become better, at anything.

10000 of any particular shot and you'll be a master. Give it time.

Latest posts