• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hitting gaps and tunnels

No matter the distance of the hole if there's a tunnel shot or a gap I need to hit, I'm almost always going to throw a Roc or an Aviar that I know will fly straight and land flat without much variance left or right. I usually throw a slight hyzer that will flip-up to flat and drive forward.

Mentally, I'm almost always concentrated on my form. That doesn't change for me based on the hole shape, tunnel or otherwise. I focus on the landing zone I want to hit.

That last thing you want to do is say to yourself is, "don't hit that tree."

No matter the distance of the hole if there's a tunnel shot or a gap I need to hit, I'm almost always going to throw a Roc or an Aviar that I know will fly straight and land flat without much variance left or right. I usually throw a slight hyzer that will flip-up to flat and drive forward.

Mentally, I'm almost always concentrated on my form. That doesn't change for me based on the hole shape, tunnel or otherwise. I focus on the landing zone I want to hit.

That last thing you want to do is say to yourself is, "don't hit that tree."

Can you clarify how you are able to focus on your form and the landing zone at the same time?

Honestly for me the last thing I'm focused on during play is my form. I focus on that during practice, and focus on my lines and the target during play.

Can you clarify how you are able to focus on your form and the landing zone at the same time?

Honestly I don't know: I try to empty my mind when I throw, but I always make sure I reach back and take my time bringing the disc through my body to follow though. Before I throw, I aim for a landing zone - that usually impacts the power level of the throw. That's more of a subconscious thing for me I think.

What do you do when you step up on the box looking at a narrow tunnel or gap throw?

I was terrible at it this weekend, went out and threw a bunch this afternoon and felt much better, but I powered down quite a bit.

Just wondering what others do, maybe I can learn a new trick or two.
Two answers are needed... what do I do on each hole, and how do I find out what I need to do on each hole...

1. When I step up to a tunnel shot my first step is to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing with my footwork. Once I know where I'm starting and where I'm finishing, I step through and go through a practice swing where I focus on where I'll be pulling through to the snap. I want to have a feel for the heft of the disc through the line, because what I'm trying to do is replicate a feel that I've done before and know. From there - focus on the feel, and take my rip.

2. To arrive at understanding where I want my footwork to be, and how I want that motion to feel, I practice with a gap. I currently have nets set up with a 2'10" gap at 25' from my tee spot, so I can simulate a 10' gap at 100'. But in the past I've done this with trees. I spend time repeating my throw until I can confidently hit that gap repeatedly as long as my footwork and my motion are lined up.

In the end it really comes down to trusting yourself to replicate the shot. You need the reps to know the feel and your setup, and then you just trust the swing.

Honestly I don't know: I try to empty my mind when I throw, but I always make sure I reach back and take my time bringing the disc through my body to follow though. Before I throw, I aim for a landing zone - that usually impacts the power level of the throw. That's more of a subconscious thing for me I think.

Thanks. I guess my process is subconscious also, born out of many reps in the woods. It is visualizing the path and target and then setting my feet and body in the direction I want. Then I basically grip it and rip it, although I am sure there are adjustments I am making to release angle and such that I'm not actually thinking about during the throw.

Honestly for me the last thing I'm focused on during play is my form. I focus on that during practice, and focus on my lines and the target during play.
I focus more on feel. Once you've got the form down, you have to trust yourself (I repeat this a lot). With my throws it tends to be more on an overarching replication of a "feel" from the wrist forward. It is exactly the same with putts or drives.

Focusing on the target is more of a forehand or putting thing, where I'm not focused on the target but I need to make sure my eyes are on the target. If my gaze is on the right spot, I don't need to think about it, and I can generally trust my form to follow through and execute the desired feel. Tougher with the backhand where you tend to turn away and you've gotta put it to faith in your work and understanding of your whole motion.

I focus more on feel. Once you've got the form down, you have to trust yourself (I repeat this a lot). With my throws it tends to be more on an overarching replication of a "feel" from the wrist forward. It is exactly the same with putts or drives.

Focusing on the target is more of a forehand or putting thing, where I'm not focused on the target but I need to make sure my eyes are on the target. If my gaze is on the right spot, I don't need to think about it, and I can generally trust my form to follow through and execute the desired feel. Tougher with the backhand where you tend to turn away and you've gotta put it to faith in your work and understanding of your whole motion.

It is definitely a feel thing. When I say focus, I don't necessarily mean focusing with my eyes, I mean more of a mental focus. Visualizing my lines pre throw, and like you say trusting my body to know what to do in order to hit those lines. It's a beautiful thing when it works, lol.

It is definitely a feel thing. When I say focus, I don't necessarily mean focusing with my eyes, I mean more of a mental focus. Visualizing my lines pre throw, and like you say trusting my body to know what to do in order to hit those lines. It's a beautiful thing when it works, lol.
Oh yeah. Playing golf on tight lines is truly satisfying. I've shot dozens of 1000+ rounds, but the most satisfying round I've ever played might be a 995ish on WR Jackson because there were so many wooded power shots that needed to be hit.

Tunnel shots - try throwing a hyzer flip to flat shot. Hyzer release mathematically translates to less side-to-side variation due to the disc vector shifting towards the vertical plane. This has the downside of increasing height variation (i.e. changes in your release angle/power are now affecting the vertical portion of the shot more). Choosing a disc that will flip to flat will help curb the vertical variation, though, leading to what I believe is the most consistent tunnel shot.

My experience in watching the pros tends to confirm this; when confronted with a long tunnel shot, they will typically throw a slight hyzer to flat shot. When they miss, it tends to be due to the disc being too turned over or not turned over enough. However, this usually only affects the disc after it makes any early gaps, meaning the miss is further down the fairway and not as big of an impact.

Tunnel shots - try throwing a hyzer flip to flat shot. Hyzer release mathematically translates to less side-to-side variation due to the disc vector shifting towards the vertical plane. This has the downside of increasing height variation (i.e. changes in your release angle/power are now affecting the vertical portion of the shot more). Choosing a disc that will flip to flat will help curb the vertical variation, though, leading to what I believe is the most consistent tunnel shot.

My experience in watching the pros tends to confirm this; when confronted with a long tunnel shot, they will typically throw a slight hyzer to flat shot. When they miss, it tends to be due to the disc being too turned over or not turned over enough. However, this usually only affects the disc after it makes any early gaps, meaning the miss is further down the fairway and not as big of an impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HssJQD1rRo&t=5m