• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hitting the Ace Pot in Doubles

Once a player holes out, you're done with the hole. An ace is still an ace in worst shot.

Uh … might want to check the rules for in Worst Shot:

Worst Shot is the most brutal of the doubles formats, and can test the patience of even the best teams. In Worst Shot, both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the competing teams in the group choose which of the subsequent lies will be used, with the aim of making the hole as difficult as possible. The hole is completed once both team members have holed out from the same lie.

Yea in "Worst Shot" both players must hole out. "Tough Shot" has the same rules as Worst Shot except once one player holes out the hole is complete. I don't see a lot of either but Tough Shot seems to be a little more popular.

See I'm under the assumption of "whoever aces, gets the ace money". I wouldn't expect my doubles partner to give me money for HIS ace, regardless of whether or not we're a team.

Lousy approach to doubles considering the strategy involved. The person throwing second often has an advantage - if the person throwing first parks it, their partner can be much more aggressive and can run at the ace.

IMO anything other than 50/50 split is weak. If my partner and I have the best score on the night we don't review all of our birdies for the round and split our winnings based on who made the most putts or had their tee shots used most...

I'm always playing doubles with a friend (I haven't played random dubs in anything with a big ace fund) so we agree to split any ace hit 50/50. The partner who didn't throw the ace still pays $5 to the person who hit the ace for the 51 game. It's happened once and I threw the ace with a $150 ace pool, I wound up with $80 and my friend made $70 for doing nothing but watching me throw an ace. I still give him crap about it sometimes but I didn't mind at all. I still made $80.

Lousy approach to doubles considering the strategy involved. The person throwing second often has an advantage - if the person throwing first parks it, their partner can be much more aggressive and can run at the ace.

IMO anything other than 50/50 split is weak. If my partner and I have the best score on the night we don't review all of our birdies for the round and split our winnings based on who made the most putts or had their tee shots used most...

LOL, on a "aceable" hole, there should only be one strategy. that is go for it. if somebody lays up on that short of a hole, they are doing it wrong.

any type of split of the ace money is weak! it is 100% individual accomplishment, there is no reason at all that the money should be split. of course the regular winnings are split 50/50, but we are not talking about that, this thread is about ace pots.

That may be your local practice, but it's absolutely correct for PDGA sanctioned doubles:

And while we're at it, removing the disc from the basket is not required to hole out:

802.05 Holing Out

but we are not talking about PDGA sanctioned doubles tournament. we are talking about weekly local random partner doubles. so both partners shoot from the tee, even if the first makes a hole in one.

but we are not talking about PDGA sanctioned doubles tournament. we are talking about weekly local random partner doubles. so both partners shoot from the tee, even if the first makes a hole in one.

If that's the way your league works, then yes; but some leagues DO play by PDGA doubles rules, so if the first player aces the second doesn't throw.

LOL, on a "aceable" hole, there should only be one strategy. that is go for it. if somebody lays up on that short of a hole, they are doing it wrong.

any type of split of the ace money is weak! it is 100% individual accomplishment, there is no reason at all that the money should be split. of course the regular winnings are split 50/50, but we are not talking about that, this thread is about ace pots.

^really bad strategy in dubs format... I always always always strategize with my partner... the first thrower usually plays a bit safer and if successful, the partner can run it without worrying... if both run it and sail over... well, they would lose to the other teams who are strategizing... anyway...

I would share the ace pot. It makes for a better team... otherwise, just play singles. *shrug*

I just aced in dubs yesterday. So I'll say that what I would prefer to happen in this situation is that I never got the half of the ace pot that was going to my partner. We also took 1st; the TD split that money for me. Why wouldn't he split the ace money? I mean ... the card says it all: Dan/Scott aced hole 8. Why isn't he splitting the ace money for me? I mean ... math is hard.

See I'm under the assumption of "whoever aces, gets the ace money". I wouldn't expect my doubles partner to give me money for HIS ace, regardless of whether or not we're a team.

There's no HIS in TEAM.

Hey All,
Here is a hypothetical (honest).

Say you are playing in a random doubles league and during your round your partner drives first and hits an Ace on a hole. Sweet! $60 from the Ace Pot. Now what if you wanted to make a run for an Ace on that hole so you can split the pot, but actually there is no reason for you to throw because your "team" already holed out?

This was just a random thought I had that other day. :popcorn:

As to if you throw or depends on the rules used. True pdga rules for best shot toy wouldn't throw. Most leagues though don't follow that and allow you to throw as well.

Our league has an even more fun twist...not only do you get to throw but if you ace as well you get to card a 0 for the hole. I don't think it's happened yet to my knowledge.

Yea in "Worst Shot" both players must hole out. "Tough Shot" has the same rules as Worst Shot except once one player holes out the hole is complete. I don't see a lot of either but Tough Shot seems to be a little more popular.

ahh, yes. That's what I was thinking.

Assuming you're playing Best Shot format by PDGA rules, then no you don't get to throw. The hole is completed once your partner hit the Ace.

When playing doubles with Ace Pots involved many players will agree, before the round starts, to split any Ace Pot winnings.

That's the rule I follow. It's the exact same thing as if my partner made a putt, do I still get to putt after him? Sounds to me like I'm throwing a practice throw.

I suspect you are, in all other respects, playing by PDGA rules.

That said, I don't play doubles anymore, but years ago I played all the time. And the custom was to allow the second drive. It was also the custom that whoever hit the ace got the money---it never occurred to me to split it, nor, as far as I know, anyone else in this locale---so I recall it was quite a story when two teammates both aced the same hole.

As for the split/don't split debate, in the long run I don't see where it matters. Where "Don't split" is the custom, if I hit an ace I win all the money. If my partner hits an ace, I don't expect any. But in the long run, it comes out the same as getting half as much ace pool, twice as often, by splitting. Besides, if my partner aces, there's a good chance the extra stroke or two increase my share of the winnings just by improving our total score, and I'm happy enough with that.

So I'll sidestep the moralistic and principled arguments, and just say, When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing, but I too don't expect half of an ace pot if my partner hit an ace. This happened to me last year at a random dubs weekly league which was not PDGA sanctioned. My partner hit the ace I was pumped, he got the money at the end and I didn't want or expect any. He took the cash, and did offer to buy me a drink which I took him up on but not once did I expect anything from him.

I hear you all playing strategy and all with one guy trying to play a little more safe and I'm not super smart with PDGA rules but what if it's a random dubs tourney and you end up with a partner who is either awful and can never play it a little smarter, or you're with someone like my younger brother who is just beginning the sport and is 12 years old. If the better player who is pretty decent hits the ace I don't think it should have to be split.

I will say though if I'm in a dubs tourney or anything and hit an ace I will at least offer something at a minimum. But I also wouldn't have the mentality that I need to split 50/50 or even 60/40, it would be however I feel at the moment I guess. Maybe I'm the bad guy though.

I've run the weekly ace pot for over 10 years, I would allow the 2nd player to throw, if he aces also, both partners would split the ace pot.

I've always known ace pots to be optional side bets in which individuals can choose to participate (or not). If you had an ace pot that a doubles team had to buy into, then it would make sense to split the ace pot between the team...but I've never heard of that before.

However, I could imagine scenarios where the ace could be the result of a "team effort". Maybe a short hole with massive exposure just long of the pin. The first teammate lays up for an easy bird, allowing the second person to run it hard without concern for the riskiness of the shot. In that case I'd leave the decision up to the ace hitter; splitting the pot would be the classy move but I still don't think it should be mandated.

I've always known ace pots to be optional side bets in which individuals can choose to participate (or not). If you had an ace pot that a doubles team had to buy into, then it would make sense to split the ace pot between the team...but I've never heard of that before.

Around here, weekly doubles have the ace pot built into the entry fee. $5 to enter. $1 to the club. $1 to the ace pot. $3 to payout.

My question is if I would even get to throw a drive if my partner threw an Ace in first. The hole would technically already be done for us.

at am world dubs, or some such sanctioned event, it would be a penalty

local league, we do it all the time