• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holes that you consider unfair?

rowdyray

Heritage Point in Dalton, GA is one of my favorite local courses. However, I believe #3 borders on being unfair. The hole is around 200 feet but the basket is placed on such a steep hill that any thing that doesn't go in rolls down the hill and then falls off an even steeper "cliff" below the hole. Once you are down the embankment, you really have no clear shot back to the basket. Tee shots will often stay on the initial slope, but any approach or put that doesn't go in rolls down the cliff. There is no grass on the hill, so it is very slick and just walking is treacherous.

So this begs the question, have you ever encountered a hole on one of your favorite courses that you felt was unfair.? If so, did you ever consider enforcing some special rule on said hole?

Or am I just being a whiner?:)

11, 14 and 16 @ HP are all on steep slopes, you miss you walk to the bottom and search for your disc, that being said, if I play alone I don't play them, I can find other's discs quick enough but get irritated searching for my own, no value there, These holes are the reason I initially bought my soft Vibram Summit

Hole 4 at Baca in Albq. I wouldn't call it unfair but if you miss your putt by throwing past the pin, there's about a 15' drop straight down. Plan on using 2 more shots (and a good walk) to hole out if you miss. Oh yeah and the pin is protected by some trees. This ain't no kiddie course.

this might sound like a lame pun but any hole that doesnt have a fairway i consider unfair. Like if the hole is just a mess of random trees, where one guy can throw a shot and get past everything, then the next guy can throw a shot thats just as good and kick off 3 trees

There's a hole at the Lowell course that's like 450 feet uphill with a very very narrow fairway.

I think its about 500 feet. But yeah this one does suck. But it makes for a fun time.

its 496 after looking it up.

Any reason you have to edit your posts within 5 minutes? Dumb rule no?

attempt two.

Hole 15 rock river disc golf course in watertown.

400+ feet through the woods, no line at all. Has potential to be an awesome hole, but for now it sucks.

From the Pro tee, I think the arrow is pointing at where the next picture takes place cause that is no where near the basket
44501fca.jpg

From where the arrow was pointing at the first picutre I think?
1ae13571.jpg

From the basket looking back
2ec33e69.jpg

I think it depends on the player. Steep hills don't bother me to much, except having to walk up them. There's one course I went too, in Alton, IA where you literally had to throw the disc over a pond to get it to the basket. The course did have alternate tee's. But I like the challenge so I wouldn't say I hate it. It's just a pain to fish a disc out of the water, if it didn't already sink to a watery grave.

In response to Ruschbag's post. I think a hole like the one you posted is perfectly fine. The trees left in the fairway (imo) make the hole a short par 4. Sure, if the hole was in the open you might be able to get a two but that does not seem to be the point of the hole. If it is (nearly) impossible to get a 3 on the hole then I could see how you might have a point. However, from the pictures you posted it looks like the best route would be to play two accurate sub-225' shots to get a putt on the hole. There are a couple holes like that here in the Charlotte area and I have no problem with them. I am happy to get a three on them. I have seen people get a two on them once or twice but there is enough risk that the reward of getting an eagle is balanced out by the extra strokes added every other time they throw the risky shot.

holes often referred to as 'poke and hope' piss me off, though i dont think they are necessarily 'unfair'. take hole #15, i think it is, at highland park in joliet. no clear line, just, literally, pick the widest 4 ft gap and hope it hits a tree 150 feet from the tee, not 20 feet away. :| thats just poor designing, imo, but still highland is among my favorites, regardless.

Hole #11 in Greer SC.

This hole 400+ that goes downhill and then right back uphill halfway there. The problem is that there is a mess of trees at the halfway point with a deep gully below the trees. Its basically random chance whether you get through the trees or not. If you do hit a tree you're destined for the bottom of the gully.

Surprised no one's mentioned The Gauntlet at The Woodshed. I actually like it in a masochistic kind of way.

Regarding pins set on the brink of a steep hill, there are several of these at Delaveaga. I like it, gives you something to think about while approching/putting.

More on the topic: Unfairways

Hole 14 at Lake's Edge (Reidsville) is a terribly designed hole, it's the tightest S-curve ever and no disc can navigate it unless you throw a thumber that stays vertical forever. I'll kiss the man on the cheek that can get a drop in birdie on this hole.

97285135.jpg

More on the topic: Unfairways

Hole 14 at Lake's Edge (Reidsville) is a terribly designed hole, it's the tightest S-curve ever and no disc can navigate it unless you throw a thumber that stays vertical forever. I'll kiss the man on the cheek that can get a drop in birdie on this hole.

97285135.jpg

That's a what I call a religous hole (a roller and a prayer).

holes often referred to as 'poke and hope' piss me off, though i dont think they are necessarily 'unfair'. take hole #15, i think it is, at highland park in joliet. no clear line, just, literally, pick the widest 4 ft gap and hope it hits a tree 150 feet from the tee, not 20 feet away. :| thats just poor designing, imo, but still highland is among my favorites, regardless.

Its hole 14, and you obviously just don't know the local routes yet. Tough hole, but not unfair.

I honestly don't think holes that are hard are unfair, I think holes that strongly favor left or right handed people are.

Latest posts