• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade basket

Very easy to mimic that color with acid finished these days. Use cheap steel and find the right patina....much cheaper than copper.

The welder I bought was actually from Craigslist, but it is pretty much this welder: Welder
This is the bender I bought, but there is also a table top version that doesn't have the stand. either would work. Bender
And this is similar to the ring roller I got on ebay. Roller

HomeMadeDiscGolfBasket.jpg
I used 3/8" and everything except the chain cost about 30 dollars but the chain which was heavy cost 60 for inside and out. I removed the outside chain to make a bull's-eye type basket but I believe I had mine before they came out with theres:thmbup:

Great effort. If you do it again I'd recommend putting the inner set of chains loose on that inner ring instead of the 'spoke' so that it fills the gap between the outer set of chains.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant how did you form the rings.

I used a hydraulic machine to roll them and it was my first time. If you look close you can see that the rings have a bit of a wave to them caused by the hydraulic machine I used.

Yeah, I did notice the wave. I figured you used a fixture/jig of some kind to bend the tubing around. But I know that would be really hard to do by hand with 3/8"

Great effort. If you do it again I'd recommend putting the inner set of chains loose on that inner ring instead of the 'spoke' so that it fills the gap between the outer set of chains.

Thanks. That's a very good suggestion :thmbup:

My Old Goals

Here are a couple of goals that I made around the early 90's when most of us were still on dial up. I made them because i lived an hour away from any course. After I ran across this forum I had to head back in the woods to locate them. They really show the many years of neglect but I really enjoyed seeing them again and reliving the times we used them.

The land has been logged and one of them appears to have been run over by a skidder. The other one did much better and only the top rotted. You can still see the dog chains hanging from the bottom. Those were rough on disc. They really got chewed up but we had good times. :p

Attachments

• Goal 1.jpg
    Goal 1.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Goal 2.jpg
    Goal 2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 59
Here are a couple of goals that I made around the early 90's when most of us were still on dial up. I made them because i lived an hour away from any course. After I ran across this forum I had to head back in the woods to locate them. They really show the many years of neglect but I really enjoyed seeing them again and reliving the times we used them.

The land has been logged and one of them appears to have been run over by a skidder. The other one did much better and only the top rotted. You can still see the dog chains hanging from the bottom. Those were rough on disc. They really got chewed up but we had good times. :p

Sad ......but still sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work! :clap: I can tell you put in some effort........but for 100 bones and fourty hrs labor I would just go with costco basket for $79. But again, nice job.

Tire Chains

Someone mentioned using Tire Chains for your catcher. Here is one of 4 that I found the other day. I used these back in the early 80's. I got them at an estate sale for about $5. These should be lying around in old peoples barns since no one uses them anymore.

I used a chisle to spread the connecting links open. This took around 30 minutes to complete one chain. I was left with 2 strands of chain 6 feet long. This appears to be nearly the same as the 2/0 zinc chain that Lowes sales at $1.19 per foot. I also had 26 of the chain connectors and 13 twisted link chains 8" long. After I disassemble all 4 tire chains, I should have 48 feet of usable chain.

I also found old blue barrel bottom Dad used as a gut bucket, old mailbox pole, old bicycle rim, and 4 pieces of angle iron laying around the house. Got me a project to do!

Attachments

• Tire Chain.jpg
    Tire Chain.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Tire Chain2.jpg
    Tire Chain2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Good Junk.jpg
    Good Junk.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 26
I haven't left it outside when not in use. I store it in my garage. With that being said, it's looking good thus far. A few of my white putters do have orange streaks on them though, from the cage.

I haven't left it outside when not in use. I store it in my garage. With that being said, it's looking good thus far. A few of my white putters do have orange streaks on them though, from the cage.

The plastidip doesn't seem to chip at all? My five layers with clear coat of all weather spray paint is chipping right off, thinking I should have went the plastidip route.

I checked it out when I got home and it doesn't show any noticeable wear. I tried scrapping some off with my fingernail and nothing chipped. So far it looks promising.