• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

well it's a mini basket I made for playing indoors with minis during these great michigan winters. It was real cheap to make and it even has 2 layers of chains. If you look close you can see the outer lyer and the metal screw heads cloer to center showing where inner chains are. It catches GREAT.
minibasket.jpg

He ruined a perfectly good , 4-chain Magnet. :doh:

Hey guys. I recently purchased a fairly weathered basket and it appears the previous owner kept it outside. It has just a little bit of surface rust, but nothing a little time in the shop with a wire brush can't clean up.

Here's my dilemma, the chains appear to be oxidized or just weathered. They aren't rusted, they just don't "Ching" and are fairly stiff. What can I do to treat these chains and get them back to their whispy ways?

Any advice appreciated! Chains are too expensive to buy new and this thing bounces discs.

Thanks.
Kep

Hey guys. I recently purchased a fairly weathered basket and it appears the previous owner kept it outside. It has just a little bit of surface rust, but nothing a little time in the shop with a wire brush can't clean up.

Here's my dilemma, the chains appear to be oxidized or just weathered. They aren't rusted, they just don't "Ching" and are fairly stiff. What can I do to treat these chains and get them back to their whispy ways?

Any advice appreciated! Chains are too expensive to buy new and this thing bounces discs.

Thanks.
Kep

Target photo attached.

Attachments

• Copy of 20131005_152515_470-1.jpg
    Copy of 20131005_152515_470-1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 200
i think most of the ching noise comes from the chains and the bottom ring hitting the pole
that looks like a coscto basket, and their design doesnt ring like most other baskets

they use pretty cheap chain, so the zinc plating is minimum
you can use chrome wheel spray-on cleaner (it needs to say "dont use on alum wheels") to killl the rust
it will come back though if you dont spray something like paint back on them

over all they are good baskets for the price, look at some of the cosctco/instep threads for mods

I bent some PVC for a backpack frame and it was soooo easy. Im quite impressed with the bending you've done. I think it's an untapped idea. What kind of heat source did you use? Also, massive props for the repurposing.

I used a heat gun I got from Harbor Freight and Tools. Best $8 I have spent. You just need the heat gun and some water, heat it evenly and slowly. The basket part took about an hour to make including all of the drilling and screwing the "L"s on to the wood circle. You probably could make an entire basket just by heat bends, which I plan to do on my next basket. Heat guns are very versatile for projects and things around the house. I know some guys that have made bow & arrows from PVC just using a heat gun to form it.

Has anyone tried using heavy rope in lieu of chains? I'm thinking of buying/making a practice basket, but I live in an apartment complex, & need something quiet for indoor night time putting.

Wrap a pool noodle or pipe insulation around the center pole if you use chains, it cuts out most of the sound.

Plastic chain

If he's looking for something that will closely mimic metal chain, it needs to have some significant weight. I'm afraid plastic chain is way too light and will allow the blow thru of good puts.

Also, while the plastic chain may not be as loud as its metal counterpart, the rope/garden hose chain is still going to be a much quieter solution while offering the incredible disc catching attributes everyone wants.

If he's looking for something that will closely mimic metal chain, it needs to have some significant weight. I'm afraid plastic chain is way too light and will allow the blow thru of good puts.

Also, while the plastic chain may not be as loud as its metal counterpart, the rope/garden hose chain is still going to be a much quieter solution while offering the incredible disc catching attributes everyone wants.

The rope/garden hose chain idea is very intriguing to me. I'm thinking about building myself a basket as an Autumn/Winter project while it's raining/blizzarding around here, and your basket has been an inspiration to me. I would love to pick your brain about a few questions and ideas I've had if you have the time.

Trust DiscChucker

The rope/hose idea of his works just as good as chains and it is dead silent. I play with my homemade basket late at night and the neighbors are never disturbed.

Has anyone tried the plastic coated metal safety chain that is used for swingsets? I've seen two kinds. One just has a plastic coating on it like plasti-dip. The other type is actually a plastic sleeve over top of real chain.

So the neighbor kid and his mom came by our new place to see if they could hunt on our land this season. Apparently he seen one of my "homemade" baskets (set off about 20' deep in the woods along the driveway) and knew it was a disc golf basket.

picture.php

^^^This is just an old pic from the prototype

Now, I moved to an area where the nearest course is an hour away. Most people who have never heard of disc golf have no idea what the heck these are so...

What are the chances that a kid, who just happened to see my unique homemade basket by my driveway (which is 1/4 mile long into the woods) know what it is?

I'm thinking they entered my property before this (without permission) scouting hunting spots and stumbled upon one of my Innova baskets that have "disc golf" written on them. I have my baskets very well hidden throughout my property, but I'm still building the course so many fairways are not even finished yet. You have to go pretty far into my property to even know there is a house here. I also noticed one of the hunting blind tents in the corner of the property was tipped over.

Q: Do my homemade's look legit enough to "non-players" for them to know what they are (in the 3 seconds it took for them to pass it) or do you think they were tresspasing before they came over?

^I thought that you would put some corn in it for bait. :p

Hard to say... a smart kid might recognize it after putting 2 and 2 together?

^I thought that you would put some corn in it for bait. :p

Hard to say... a smart kid might recognize it after putting 2 and 2 together?

Lol

There are tons of deer here. I talked to the neighbors and everything is cool. I do live near the area in MI where MVP started. Maybe the MVP brothers are local legends in the area. Pretty cool. I'd love to have them over when the course is finished

Q: Do my homemade's look legit enough to "non-players" for them to know what they are (in the 3 seconds it took for them to pass it) or do you think they were tresspasing before they came over?

Depends on what he knows about the sport I suppose. If he has a friend that is a diehard, then he probably could guess that's what it is.

A non-golfing coworker of mine spotted a couple homemade baskets along a back road and recognized them. To my knowledge his only exposure to disc golf is through our conversations and what I've showed him. Coincidentally, he was also looking for a spot to hunt.

Depends on what he knows about the sport I suppose. If he has a friend that is a diehard, then he probably could guess that's what it is.

A non-golfing coworker of mine spotted a couple homemade baskets along a back road and recognized them. To my knowledge his only exposure to disc golf is through our conversations and what I've showed him. Coincidentally, he was also looking for a spot to hunt.

A friend of mine hunts on property adjacent to the Paw Paw courses. Only once we got to know each other and I explained that there were courses there did he realize what the baskets were that he had seen there before. But he had no prior knowledge of disc golf.

Isn't there a wii DG game? between that and the interwebs. Or maybe he saw you throwing some discs around one day.

Not sure what part of the state you relocated to but if you're in MI and an hour away from any course:gross: you gotta be either deep in the thumb, NE lower or the UP.

When I moved to the NW Graylling/Kalkaska area 4 yrs. ago I was blown away by how many people knew about DG. I know exponentially more disc golfers now compared to the 10+ yrs I played in Metro Detroit.

Isn't there a wii DG game? between that and the interwebs. Or maybe he saw you throwing some discs around one day.

Not sure what part of the state you relocated to but if you're in MI and an hour away from any course:gross: you gotta be either deep in the thumb, NE lower or the UP.

When I moved to the NW Graylling/Kalkaska area 4 yrs. ago I was blown away by how many people knew about DG. I know exponentially more disc golfers now compared to the 10+ yrs I played in Metro Detroit.

There is a very realistic looking disc golf game for the PS3.

Latest posts