• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

You can find used factory made baskets for less than the cost to make one on your own, I bought an innova sport for 80 bucks in almost new condition. I have seen instep baskets used for like 30-40 bucks, just recently I saw an ad for 2 instep baskets for 75$, you cant make them that cheap. I have made a couple homemade ones in the past but its cheaper and easier just to buy a used basket. It is a pretty cool project to build a homemade one though if thats what your trying to do is just pass time and hide out from your woman in the garage I suppose.

You can find used factory made baskets for less than the cost to make one on your own, I bought an innova sport for 80 bucks in almost new condition. I have seen instep baskets used for like 30-40 bucks, just recently I saw an ad for 2 instep baskets for 75$, you cant make them that cheap. I have made a couple homemade ones in the past but its cheaper and easier just to buy a used basket. It is a pretty cool project to build a homemade one though if thats what your trying to do is just pass time and hide out from your woman in the garage I suppose.

Better to hide out on the course!

And where does one see such ads? I haven't found anything around me for prices like that. I'd be happy to keep my frankenbasket in the basement and get a pair of instep or DISCatcher sport baskets for the yard if I knew where to get them for those prices.

And where does one see such ads? I haven't found anything around me for prices like that. I'd be happy to keep my frankenbasket in the basement and get a pair of instep or DISCatcher sport baskets for the yard if I knew where to get them for those prices.

I look on craigs list quite a bit for deals, Hint: I search cities near me not just the city im in. One time I put a wanted ad in the market place here for baskets and got replies right away aswell, I guarantee if you put a "wanted, cheap basket" ad in the market place you would get a bunch of hits, thats how I got my innova sport basket for 80$. Insteps can be found used pretty easily for around 40$. Im pretty good at finding deals on things I want, you just have to dig around a little bit and you will find someone who really needs the cash and has what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I have two of them on my course, Phantom Falls in CO. I am good friends W/ the maker and can get you one made for $1000. They are AWESOME!!!

I finally finished it yesterday. Here's a breakdown of the materials:

Bike wheel
Chain link fence post
9-gallon planter
Christmas tree stand
I-bolts
1/8" cable (and cable clamps)
2" ring
Chain
Zip strips (zip ties)
Tub drain
1 1/2" to 1 1/14" pipe adaptor
2 - 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" rubber pipe couplers (I'm going to be replacing one with a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"

It's pretty sturdy but I also built it with portability in mind. I can disassemble it and put the chain assembly and stand into the basket itself and only have a 5' pole leftover. I'm very satisfied with it, but I'm going to make some subtle changes for the next one (if I don't buy one first).

Well done! I really like the bicycle wheel baskets I've seen. The great thing about bicycle wheels; they drastically reduce the build time, offer lots of flexibility for hanging the chains in various positions and they just plain look cool! Of course I guess being a cyclist has a lot to do with that opinion.

Of course so far my favorite wheel so far has to be that from a wheel chair. With the hand rim facing upward it just adds a great look to the basket.

That's a pretty high end wheel to be doing that with. Was it taco'd? Where did you get it? It's funny, that wheel would cost more brand new than most of the portable baskets on the market.

That was my thought exactly when I saw those pics. My eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw that wheel.

Heres my new one.
I got the idea from a post on here and a youtube video.
I only have about $30 in it.

Attachments

• p_00015.jpg
    p_00015.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 486
Well done. So what did you use for the top to hang the chains from? Am I correct to assume the bottom of the basket/entrapment is wood?

This is a very good example of what can be done with as little as $30 and some resourcefulness.

Thanks for sharing!

That is the best $30 basket I have ever seen, so umm, wanna give us detailed step by step instructions :)

Well done. So what did you use for the top to hang the chains from? Am I correct to assume the bottom of the basket/entrapment is wood?

This is a very good example of what can be done with as little as $30 and some resourcefulness.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I used a 20 inch bike tire with spokes to hang the chains from, and yes the bottom of the basket is wood with L brackets and sprinkler tubing. I'll try to put instructions up.

nice job... i like seeing all the homemade baskets, its good to see the MCgyver in everyone

The chain seems to be a lot lighter than regular chain so I was wondering the same thing. I am looking to do this cheap.