• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Tomahawk Basket

picture.php

Bucket - Free
Basket - Upper $5
Basket - Lower $5
Pipe - Free
Chain (40' zinc plated chain on a roll) - $38
Wire - Free
Bolts & Nuts (6) - $2
Threaded Flanges (2) - $7 each
Threaded pipe (1) - $5

About $69 each. If I can keep em under 65$ I'd be happy. Might have to check out the scrap yard for cheaper chain options because it's the only real expensive thing on baskets.

Top basket hits send em flying lol

Last edited:
What is the bottom made from?

Bottom is a 5 gallon bucket of concrete with a pipe sticking out the top. Bottom and top basket pieces are from some hanging flower planters I picked up on the cheap. They are identical to disc golf basket diameters, almost as if they were meant to be :)

picture.php

The chrome hub cap inside the lower basket is just temporary, along with the wire holding the chains up. I'll swith to modded hooks for the chain and rig up something or try some welding for the bottom to prevent the fall-through it might have.

Might try some other mods too for the flanges since they went up in price since last year. All in all, it catches great to my surprise. I really like these for the unique ability to accept OH and underhand shots. I'll post pics of finished product when it's done and tested some more.

picture.php

picture.php

This is my homemade basket made for PVC. Works good sometime doesn't catch all the discs that would go in on a metal basket but it works for the yard!

that looks like a full size version of my mini-baskets at my house :)

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

Just finished this today. Well its not really done need to get a better base and add some more chains in the middle but it works for now.

Thanks for the feed back. Good idea about the tire, Im going to have to find a ok tire to put on there. the one that came off was all ripped cause i tried riding the bike with 2 flats down the road. Didnt get to far but still kinda riped it. Might put it on there anyway. One thing i thought about doing was adding some kind of light inside of the pvc pipe for some night disc golf but that wont be till later.

looking good guys.. like yours donnyv... flower planters look great.. i was thinking it was an old bird cage or something lol

Thanks
Did some modifications since the last post but have been pretty busy with work and stuff.
Hope to have some time after October to finish the rest of the baskets for my homemade course and to present the parks and rec their offical course proposal.

BTW...I've seen at least 3 houses nearby that are selling a ton of birdcages. What's up with all that? Town pass a law banning indoor birds all of a sudden?

Last edited:
I've been debating making my own backyard disc catcher this winter. I'll post pics if I decide to.

FWIW, if you're going to go to the effort to make one of professional quality with professional materials, the make vs. buy equation tips toward the buy side.

That's what I've seen. But I'm a designer by trade, with a full machine shop at my disposal. Do I thought about still making one cause I'm a little slow at work right now and have the time. But who knows.

Thanks for the feed back. Good idea about the tire, Im going to have to find a ok tire to put on there. the one that came off was all ripped cause i tried riding the bike with 2 flats down the road. Didnt get to far but still kinda riped it. Might put it on there anyway. One thing i thought about doing was adding some kind of light inside of the pvc pipe for some night disc golf but that wont be till later.

You could probably pick up an old discarded tire for free from a bicycle shop. Another option is a clothes washer hose. I used one on my basket and it gives it a clean (no pun intended), smooth look. As for lighting, I used a patio umbrella LED light. It works great. You'll just need to loosen around eight spokes to get the light fixture around the hub of the bicycle wheel. Once the fixture is in place replace the spokes and you're ready for some night time practice.

RestAreaFairway.jpg

HornetsNest13green.jpg

If you get it lit for night golf, definitely post the pics. I'd love to see the post glowing! That could be the best idea yet for lighting a basket!

Hey donnyv, where did you get the "hanging basket" top and bottoms from? Thx.................jerry

Latest posts