• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Easy Assembly Portable Basket

lexxerd

Bogey Member
Over the weekend me and my girl put this together.

basket_zps0af6b878.jpg

Took us about an hour to assemble. We were able to get everything we needed at Lowe's except for the basket and umbrella stand at a local discount store called Garden Ridge.

plans_zps959c129c.png

1 x 22-in Hanging Basket
1 x Outdoor Umbrella 24lb stand
1 x 14.5-in Charcoal Grate
1 x 1-in by 36-in Galvanized Pipe
1 x 1-in by 24-in Galvanized Pipe
4 x 1-in Galvanized Floor Flange Fitting
8 x 1/4-in by 1.5-in Standard Hex Bolts
8 x 1/4-in Standard Hex Nuts
36 x 3/16-in S hooks
2 x 2-in Welded Rings
1 x 30-feet of 3/16-in Welded Chain

Only tools needed were a socket set for tightening down the bolts, bolt cutters to cut the chains to length, and vice grips for crimping the S hooks.

Alternatively you could use a 30-in pipe instead of a 36-in pipe if you prefer the basket lower to the ground.

Very nice, the basket looks classy! Great job.

How do you like it so far (putting) and how much do you estimate it cost?

Very nice, the basket looks classy! Great job.

How do you like it so far (putting) and how much do you estimate it cost?

Love it! It catches disc great, haven't had one blow through it yet. The basket size also has great depth so I can toss a good 15-20 disc in it before it fills up.

Since I got everything locally it was just under $200 with tax. You could make it alot cheaper tho if you bought a plastic tank fill style umbrella stand. The weighted stands alone are $30 and because of the time of year, I couldn't find the plastic ones anywhere. The galvanized floor fittings could also be bought online for half the price they go for in Lowe's. At a wopping $13 ea, that's $52 just right there for the floor fittings. Good chain is gonna run ya $40, and shouldn't be the part you cheap out on in my opinion. I'd say you could get away with a total of $130-$150 with alternate parts, or cheaper supplier.

The nice thing about the quality that I put this together is that it can withstand the weather, should be very little chance of rust. It also can be taken apart with quick assembly. The pipes are only hand tight where as the threaded floor fittings are bolted tightly to the grill top and the basket. The chains are crimped to the rings but only hang from the top so the chains can be taken out completely. I would have gone with the 30-in height instead of the 36-in if I could go back, but I'll probably pick a few different sizes up to practice different heights anyways.

How did you decide where to put the chain attachments? And my only worry is that the ends of the "curls" designs will gouge a disc if it gets caught on it as your are pulling them out. But I guess that's the case with any basket.

How did you decide where to put the chain attachments? And my only worry is that the ends of the "curls" designs will gouge a disc if it gets caught on it as your are pulling them out. But I guess that's the case with any basket.

The top S hooks aren't crimped down, so the chain placement is adjustable. I tried to to center them evenly around the outer edge of the top and the inner chains are aligned opposite of the outer chains to help catch the discs that fly through the chains.

Latest posts