• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hope for the NOOB

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I just wanted to throw this out there for the other NOOB's. I have been playing for a month, and allbeit a short amount of time I have gotten 22 rounds in 32 days. My scores were staying the same for the initial 15 or so rounds. I couldn't throw it any further, I couldn't be any more accurate on approaches, and I still misses a lot of the close range putts.

But the last few rounds have been much better. Today I played and had my lowest round yet 81 (4 better than my previous best of 85) on a 24 hole course. The beauty of it is that I only had 27 putts on 24 holes. What that means is I either put the approaches really close or made almost all the putts I should have made. For your own reference, I count it as a putt when I am 12 paces or closer to the basket (which transalates to 30 feet). I also found myself with 3 or 4 throws that went between around 275-290. I had not been getting more than about 180-200 consistently. I also found myself throwing my mid ranges (180 stingrays) on the two shortest holes on the course 200 and 205. I dropped all 4 shots (2 rounds) within about 25-30 feet.

I also hit a 50' shot yesterday which is by far the longest one I have holed out. That will keep me coming back for a while I am sure.

The thing that makes me the happiest is that I have started to figure out which discs do what. I have certain holes I know I will use certain discs because they simply fit the look of the required shot, and I am consistantly throwing them where I want them to be. I also figured out (with the help of another player from this site . . . Thanks Ben) which discs to throw into the wind. I was losing my understable discs so far right because the wind would get under them and just flip them over. So I switched to my Tee Rex and Wraith for those holes instead of my Valkyrie and it has made a big difference.

32 days into my career, I am thrilled with my progression, now I don't expect every Noob to be able to play 22 rounds in 32 days especially if you are in the snow like I am, but that has certainly been the key to my game so far. I have yet to just sit and practice putting as I am still trying out my technique, and still trying out discs to see what fits my hand best. Once the weather warms up and the snow is gone I will find a nice place to just practice putting, as that still remains the weakest part of my game. I am much better at dropping approaches close, than I am at making those 20-25 footers.

Just something to encourage the NOOB's like myself.

course 200 and 205. I dropped all 4 shots (2 rounds) within about 25-30 feet.

I also hit a 50' shot yesterday which is by far the longest one I have holed out. That will keep me coming back for a while I am sure.

Its amazing how it only takes one shot to keep you hooked isnt it? Anytime Im playing like trash all it takes is one long putt or parked drive to keep you into it.

Congrats on your progress.

Yay, I got a shout out! Keep up the good work, I wish I could throw a disc 290ish in my first month... I was usually playing out of the woods thanks to griplock. But keep on playing Mike, and have fun down in Bowling Green!

LOL good job...i was doing good to break 200 regularly on drives when i was a month in...and couldn't putt for anything...

Thats great! Im a noob too have been playing since christmas and I dont throw but about 275 on the best drives. You have me beat on the putting I'm no good after about 15 foot out. It is very addictive also I find myself daydreaming about it

Its like crack (so i hear) and Tetris. I envision where the pieces fit, just like I envision how I shouldve played a hole!

I know I'm not consitent yet, but today I shot 83. The score is fine for me still my second lowest score ever . . . but I went from 27 putts yesterday to 33 today. I had my first 3 putt ever . . . and I had 3 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think some of it is coming from going for more putts and sending them by too far, early on I was just trying to get the disc to stop under the basket, now I am going for more putts.

Latest posts