• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Hornet vs. Wasp

Hornet or Wasp?

• Wasp

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Hornet

Votes: 32 51.6%

• Total voters

burt5885

Birdie Member
Im going to pick up one of these for the overstable mid range duties of my bag and since people usually compare these 2 as very close im tore in between. Which do you prefer and why?

I'm torn between these 2 right now...thinking im gonna have to keep both in the bag.

175 Z WASP - I really like to flex it, throw it on massive hyzers, and for short game utility. In MY experience, the wasp is great for late breaking annis as well (not the best for tight lines)

175 Z HORNET - I love to flex this as well..it will hold a much tighter flex line than the wasp for me. Also...its glidey and amazing off the tee.

my .02

i prefer the wasp for its slightly greater overstability, although it does often turn more than i wanted. then again, i probably have terrible form.

What exactly are you wanting to get out one of these? Might be the important factor

I prefer Hornet to Wasp, it glides like there's no tomorrow and is perfect for my flex shots. I have had 2 Z Wasps and I was not impressed, they flipped way too much for me. Hornet is the disc that filled my overstable slot and is about to replace my Buzzz for my go-to mid.

Opto Pain ~167-170g

The Pain is closer to a Hornet, but I think a lighter Pain would fit my ideal stability for that disc slot, compared to the 176g avg for my mids.

Hornet > Wasp if you must know ;)

Also, I'd probably go lighter than my 176 Hornet if I were to get another. Still as hard to turn over but not such a massive fade.

The Wasp is a fantastic disc. The Hornet is faster, has more glide, and is slightly more overstable. My overstable short game used to consist of Wasp/Drone, but then I met the Wizard.

The Wizard replaced 80% of my Drone and Wasp shots, but the hornet has a stability between the two and is faster than either, so it's the "step up" in overstable distance from my Wizards.

Both are really good and viable options for overstable mids, just depends on how you build your bag.

A Wasp is like a new Roc. Even when the Wasp is a year old, it is still like a new Roc. I have a Wasp as my overstable mid and a Gator as my meat hook mid.

I love the Hornet; although I havent tried Z yet. Basically, I love discs that are moderately overstable yet still maintain glide, and thats why I love me some Pred(Z I know has less glide and is more OS than my ESP, but its breaking in nicely) and the Hornet.

The Hornet is also longer for me by a good bit over any other stable to moderately overstable mid. Little faster and more glide will do that.

I used a Z Wasp for a while, good disc, but not different enough from the Buzzz. Buzzz is straight with a little fade & the Wasp had slightly more fade. The Wasp also felt uncomfortable sometimes, I'm guessing from the bead. Switched to a Hornet & it's great. Fast & harder fade than the Wasp, and feels better in my hand. Anybody wanting a wasp I have a 172 (7-8/10) yellow w/ black stamp I'll gladly trade. But overall they are both good discs in their own right

It'd help to know your current lineup of mids.

Wasp is no longer made in ESP (as of about 1 year ago). Hornet is a new disc (2010 ace race) that I believe is only in Z for regular production at this point.

If you have a preference for plastic, you might not have a choice.

I played the Ace Race, then tried them for a few rounds, but the Hornet never ended up in the bag. My Wasp is one of my most beloved discs, and I don't see that ever changing.

This should be a very interesting poll for me. I was not super impressed with my Ace Race disc, but I really didn't have a weight I liked and the plastic seemed like it should be a little stiffer. I have a Wasp and its ok, but I was hoping for it to be a little more overstable than it was. So I've just got a new Hornet. The Z plastic feels a lot better than the ESP(?) of the Ace Race prototypes. And I played a short round yesterday. + for the Hornet. There just might be a very nice Wasp up for trade.

I'll give the Hornet a few more rounds before I vote.

I was able to get out and finally throw my z-hornet. IMO its stability is between a roc and a gator and a tad bit faster than a roc. The flight reminded me of my 01 roc.

The older z-wasps are money. The new stamped wasps are not.

Latest posts