• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get introduced to disc golf?

I've been throwing frisbees most of my life. We used to play object golf when we were kids no clue that disc golf courses existed. In high school a friend of mine took me to a local course and the rest is history.

I played a ton of Ultimate, freestyle and such in the late 70s and 80s. I'd been hearing about disc golf for years, but never really looked into it until I moved about 7 years ago and started driving by a course every day. Last spring, I was at a fundraiser event in town and the dude who owns the course was there selling some discs as part of the fundraiser. I talked to him for a bit, and bought a Champion Leopard. He ended up giving my some beat up Discraft putter he had in his car and I went out solo a couple of days later. I was pretty terrible, but instantly hooked. Come to find out a bunch of the young guys where I work played too, and then I found out some other friends played. Almost a year later and I'm addicted. I have 2 baskets which play as 4-5 holes (depending on whether I take out the brush cutter or not) and in decent weather play local courses about 3 times a week (not counting playing in my yard almost every day). And I passed that beat up putter on to another noob.

Tons catch and freestyle at parks as a kid and then when I was in college, my Dad and I were in San Diego, and spending endless hours in a chemotherapy ward with my Mom at the hospital. My uncle says to us, you guys need a break - heard about a "frisbee" golf course over by Balboa Park. So......we went over to Toys R Us and picked some sweet 175g ultimate lids and checked it out! We walked up to hole #4 or #5 and some guys were at the teepad and looked at us and said "Hey man you guys are old school!" We played in with them and had an amazing afternoon. The Morley field pro shop was a table with boxes of discs by the bathrooms! All that next week we would go down behind the hospital and play object golf in the parking lot. My Dad and I actually built a small 3 hole course on our property - homemade baskets - 4x4 posts with the bottom 1/3 of a 55 gal plastic drum - no chains! I had no idea there was a PDGA or tourneys. I didn't play again for almost 20 years until my son and I started a year and a half ago. I wish I would have known more about the sport and kept playing but it has been a blessing for us and ridiculous amounts of fun!

Played catch Frisbee and hacky sacked all through my teen years and 20s. Bought a Scorpion or Cobra in 1988 to throw and someone wound up stealing it out of my car. Played off and on for years and it kinda faded until my son got interested in it and I got back into it about 4-5 years ago. Last couple of years have been rehabbing from shoulder surgeries and trying to get to the point I feel confident enough to compete on an amateur level. For myself and to socialize, not the money.

I used to see all these disc golf discs in the sporting goods stores around town. But knew nothing about the game. I've always loved throwing frisbeess, so when a local sporting goods store was moving across the street and had everything in the store 25% off, I bought an innova starter set. Went up to the counter and asked where you played at. Come to find out there was a course literally right around the corner from the store. I'd have never known. Went out and played solo with just myself or my kids for about 6 months. Then found out there was a club that held weekly doubles and occasional tournaments. Showed up for a tournament, won intermediates. Showed up for doubles and watched a local pro crush a drive that blew my mind. Been trying to get better ever since.

I had been playing catch Frisbee for years when I came upon this book. We started playing object golf right away, then I played my first basket course at West Park in 1979.

picture.php

Moved a 5 minute walk away from a beautiful park with a dg course. The rest is history :)

Got big into Ultimate last spring. When my brother-in-law found out he thought I was into disc golf, so he brought his discs when they visited for the Fourth of July. The afternoon before the fireworks he's all, "What courses do you play around here?"

"What do you mean 'courses'? We don't have those....we just play on the soccer fields at Ogden Park."

"I thought you played disc golf?"

"Nope. Never tried it."

"Oh, well.....you want to? I have discs and I know there are a couple courses here in Wilmington."

"Sure....let's roll."

Played my first round at Arrowhead Park and was hooked. Discovered that one of the top-rated courses in the state was a mere six miles from my house the next day and have been balls-deep in the game ever since. Good times.

my ex gf in college took me on a hot date to throw a round. i was awful. she threw thumbers with a dx valk so beat in it was concave. well i started to play more and more. then joined ultimate frisbee team the next year in college. well that was a lot of running and too competitive for my relaxed demeanor. and required a ton of others to play. dg i could go with a small group of friends. then eventually i wanted to play more and more and started going alone. now any time i go i see friends out at the course without even having to text someone everytime to meet up. yes we only have one course in our small big town. but its nice just being able to join whoever and shoot the poop

My post from the other thread...
Love these stories...

I've had a few starts and stops in my lifetime. It started in 1978 in middle TN where my parents owned some acreage. Mom had about a half dozen of those old plastic laundry baskets, the ones that are about the same diameter and slightly deeper than the tray of a modern basket. The folks would put those baskets around our land and the three of us would make up "holes" to throw Frisbees at. We did this during the summers of '78-'82. We moved to OKC in Dec '82. We didn't play our game any more after we moved.

In either 1993 or '94, my friends and I were bored one day and thought it would be fun to play "Frisbee Golf". We went to the store to get some Frisbees and noticed that there were "Frisbees" made for Disc Golf. We picked up some of these unconventional "Frisbees" and went to the course. We all had a great time, but it was only something to do to pass the time. We would get together and play a few times a year until 2001. I then met my future wife and life went on. I put my discs in the closet and never really played again until...

After I got divorced in 2010, a buddy of mine (Shane) asked me if I had ever played disc golf before. He had played with his cousin (chrismalatesta on DGCR) previously but it always bothered him that Chris would utterly destroy him on the course. The two of them are very competitive. Shane and I decided that we would get some discs and play the next weekend. (I had completely forgotten that I still had my small bag full of discs so I bought completely new discs.) We had an absolute blast and Shane had someone he could compete with. This is when I absolutely got hooked on the game and have since devoted a lot of time in developing my game. Shane and I are still fairly equal in skill so it usually comes down to the last hole to determine who will win that day's round.

The folks started to realize my addiction to this game in the fall of 2010. They began to ask a lot of questions about it. Prior to that fall, they had no idea that Disc Golf was an actual sport. They thought it was something they made up in the late 70's to play with their son.

I went geocaching at a local park and in the woods I found this weird basket thing that I could not figure out what it was. After I found the cache I saw people throwing discs into it and it looked sort of fun. I mentioned this to my family later on. At the end of the quarter my aunt got me some gifts for doing well in class and one of the gifts she got me was an bright yellow aerobie arrow.

Within the next week I bought myself a DX roc and a DX beast and I started playing at the course where I found the geocache.

Well I found this sport when learning another. I was learning to SCUBA dive in Florida with a friend of mine from Tennessee. on the last day before the flight home I have to be out of the water for 24 hrs before the flight so we went to a local park to play a round. I have never hear of "Disc Golf" before but I was game for something new. He let me use a valk for this round,which ended up in the swamp, I sucked pretty hard but liked the game. I found http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3066 near by my house and bought a few disc. played a few times here and there until the day I was layoff the my day was two round of disc golf then on the computer for a job. This continued until I was hied in Madison WI. Madison WI good but the winters suck like a pack of gay boy scouts going for a merit badge.

I went geocaching at a local park and in the woods I found this weird basket thing that I could not figure out what it was. After I found the cache I saw people throwing discs into it and it looked sort of fun. I mentioned this to my family later on. At the end of the quarter my aunt got me some gifts for doing well in class and one of the gifts she got me was an bright yellow aerobie arrow.

Within the next week I bought myself a DX roc and a DX beast and I started playing at the course where I found the geocache.

I LOVE geocaching!

I had been playing catch Frisbee for years when I came upon this book. We started playing object golf right away, then I played my first basket course at West Park in 1979.

picture.php

West park in Joliet? I played My first tournament there in 79.

I LOVE geocaching!

Geocaching is really awesome.

My story begins with me buying a PlayStation 3 bundle that came with the PS move. It had a sports game that came with it and besides boccie ball, ping pong, and gladiator duel it came with FRISBEE GOLF!!!! So one day while playing the game with my friend i turned to him and said " you know we can just go outside and play this", And that we did. We both went and picked up starter sets from innova and ever since then I have been hooked. Although the game is less fun now but I think I can live with that.

A little over a year and a half ago, my family reunion was held in this little park tha has a tiny disc golf course. Tiny, but very very technical. I had seen discs at Wally world and figured what the heck I will buy two of the 8 dollar three disc sets. Maybe the kids will want to try it out. At this time I had not thrown any type of frisbee for years. Well me and one of my cousins started tossing a round and another cousin with good discs joined us. We played about 45 holes that day on that little course. The next day I called up a friend of mine that plays and we went to another course. He sorta laughed a bit and took the three disc junk pack i had threw it away and handed me three of his discs. I have been hooked ever since.

Summer of '08, a softball injury sidelined me for good at age 46. I had played some type of ball since grade school and I didn't know what todo anymore. A cousin of mine was talking about discgolf and ask me to check it out. He loaned me 4-6 discs, helped me with tips along the way and I was hooked. At 50 I don't play nearly as much as I would like, but go whenever invited.

Awesome stories guys!I love this game so much and feel it was gods way of giving me something to do other than doing drugs all the time.I was a miserable person for a good part of my life and disc golf has been some of the best therapy I've had.put a spark for life back in my soul. I would be interested in hearing about how Paul Mcbeth, Ken Climo and some of the other greats were introduced. I'm sure there's a video or some literature out there somewhere.

well placed course

there's nine holer across from the middle school i went to and they had discs to rent out at a community center there. i would try to throw like a catch disc and it would go high and left. Since then it was always something to do. Played a lot with a core group of friends in high school and college. In the last couple years i got bit by the competition bug and have been completely obsessed.

Latest posts