• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get introduced to disc golf?

This is actually kind of depressing to me as I think about it now and you will soon read why lol..

The very first time I heard about DG was a few years ago.. I was hanging out with a friend of mine from high school and we would get together and hang out on her days off. Well one day she mentioned "I'm gonna go play DG on this day with some friends" I asked what it was and she told me then asked if I wanted to go. Well I had to work that day so I couldn't ... long story short she ended up moving away after a bit and I didn't hear of DG again..

Now a few years later I have my GF and we were hanging out with her friend one night and her friend was like "I can't wait to go play DG this weekend".. I was like hey I have heard of that but never played and they invited me along and gave me discs they weren't using.. hooked since then.

My only regret was not going a few years ago :wall: :wall:

Now my GF thinks I'm obsessed with it even though she has been playing longer than me.. She thinks I do to much research like form, grip, etc.. :\

a couple dilettantes from my school went from hobby to hobby, typically switching every month or so. they went from ultimate frisbee to disc golf and suggested that I go get the innova starter pack with the dx leopard, shark and p&a aviar (and if i knew then what i know now, for no reason would i pick those discs). anyway, a few weeks passed, they moved on to pen collecting, and i stayed with disc golf and got my brother and a couple buddies to play with me so i could continue to play and get better. since then, i've been hooked and i just can't get enough.

Awesome stories guys!I love this game so much and feel it was gods way of giving me something to do other than doing drugs all the time.I was a miserable person for a good part of my life and disc golf has been some of the best therapy I've had.put a spark for life back in my soul...

It's kinda nice when you realize the world is full of other things to do besides getting into artificially induced altered states. Try SCUBA diving sometime. Nothing better.

Frisbee golf back in the 70's but never got serious about it. My small home town just put in a course a couple of months ago and it's my new addiction. I used to walk a couple of miles every morning but that's been replaced several rounds of dg every day. I played a few holes yesterday with a couple of young men from Oregon who got the info on our course from this website.

My only regret was not going a few years ago :wall: :wall:

Now my GF thinks I'm obsessed with it even though she has been playing longer than me.. She thinks I do to much research like form, grip, etc.. :\

obsessed and too much research?

thats code for spend more time with her

...Now my GF thinks I'm obsessed with it even though she has been playing longer than me.. She thinks I do to much research like form, grip, etc.. :\
or perhaps she wishes you'd put that much work into improving your technique and going a little bit further with her. :p

For me it was seeing people playing in Cass Benton Hills in Hines Park, and I thought, "Looks like something fun to do with the kids..."

Last edited:
In 2008 (ish) my mom dated this guy, who took her various places and had her try new things. She started raving about this game called "disc golf", I've never heard of it before that point. It sounded cool but I was 17 at the time and wasn't really interested in playing a game with my mother. That guy ended up being a big jerk, so when they stopped dating my mom stopped playing. A few years later my friends were talking about it (with the same enthusiasm and excitement my mom had talked about it ) I started to think it sounded like something id like to play, but still just kinda didn't. Finally this past years Mother's Day I said "hey mom wanna go play a little dg? We played a round and it was all over from there.

When I first started I would play by myself for hours and hours, play 45+ holes a day. Since then I've gotten a handful of people into the sport, and am working with a friend to expand our 9 hole course into and 18! I'm loving the sport, especially because when I was a kid I wasn't in to team sports, I just wanted to hang out. Perfect attitude for DG lol.

Buddy bought a starter sets for his boys and himself for Christmas.
He talked me into buying a set too.
Played my first round about a year ago at the age of 46.
Hooked to say the least.

Well I found this sport when learning another. I was learning to SCUBA dive in Florida with a friend of mine from Tennessee. on the last day before the flight home I have to be out of the water for 24 hrs before the flight so we went to a local park to play a round. I have never hear of "Disc Golf" before but I was game for something new. He let me use a valk for this round,which ended up in the swamp, I sucked pretty hard but liked the game. I found http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3066 near by my house and bought a few disc. played a few times here and there until the day I was layoff the my day was two round of disc golf then on the computer for a job. This continued until I was hied in Madison WI. Madison WI good but the winters suck like a pack of gay boy scouts going for a merit badge.

Wow. Could have done without the lame joke at the end. :doh:

Awesome stories guys!I love this game so much and feel it was gods way of giving me something to do other than doing drugs all the time.I was a miserable person for a good part of my life and disc golf has been some of the best therapy I've had.put a spark for life back in my soul. I would be interested in hearing about how Paul Mcbeth, Ken Climo and some of the other greats were introduced. I'm sure there's a video or some literature out there somewhere.

http://youtu.be/6pMCYeYILpo

We used to play target frisbee on the occasional camping trip when I was a kid. ( long time ago). You know, pick a tree and see who could hit it first. Just a casual pass time around camp. I was aware modern dg existed for quite some time. Never really thought I would be interested , but needed a less expensive alternative to ball golf. Gave it a try last spring and didn't really like it the first few times out as I was struggling to throw any disc more than 150 ft. I reminded my self how ball golf wasn't really that fun till I I started striking the ball with some consistency. Now I am hooked and love the game. Even played my first tourney this weekend. I even get to talk about it on forums with big name pros like Paul. :D

Before college, I had never really thrown a frisbee. I got involved with some folks playing Ultimate at Marshall University and that game is really to blame for my current mild to moderate obsession with disc golf. Sometimes I wanted to throw, but couldn't assemble the number of people needed for a decent game of Ultimate. Disc golf was the obvious solution to this problem!

Two friends of mine have been casually playing for years, and the topic came up one day while we were sitting around having some beers about 4 years ago.
Always wanted to try it so we started playing a weekly round, they hooked me up with an old Innova starter bag and various used discs.

I had so much fun the 1st round and couldn't wait to get back out there again and again and again.
After a few months playing rounds withe my friends and getting used to throwing I was finally confident enough to go out and play by myself.

Found this site along with Disc Golf Scene, researched the hell out of beginner friendly discs and used a $50 gift certificate to by 6-new discs shortly after I started (Aviar, Polecat, Spider, Cobra, Teebird, Valkyrie....all in DX of course)

Soon thereafter I'd play w/ my friends, by myself, or with other local regulars....didn't matter who. Joined the local club, and now play at least once or twice a week along with leagues and tournaments.

My two buddies still play, but very sparingly....I think we got out together only a few times last year.

Older brother and his friends suddenly started playing one day, and I decided to see what the fuss was all about...now it's weird to go a week without playing at least once. Safe to say I probably wouldn't be playing today if it were not for them.

I was the economic development director for a small town in Kansas and a person that grew up in the town that ran a disc golf store suggested putting a disc golf course in around the lake in town. The town is very tight knit and people that leave usually keep a very strong association with it. We worked together, he planned the course and we worked out the location. We raised money for the baskets with grants and donations from the community and local businesses. Unfortunately I left before the course got put in and had a chance to play it, but it did get put in.

I got away from it after that for the most part but the interest stayed. Then my now ex girlfriend played a bit before we met and I wanted to start playing so we just started playing together. We broke up but I kept playing.

Had a buddy at work that said he played disc golf and was a lot of fun. I thought I would go with him one day and give it a try. How hard could it be to throw a frisbee around like I do with my dog. Oh how wrong I was... He shows up with a bag full of discs and explains what they all mean and do. Sounded like Japanesse to me at the time. But this sport got extremely addicting and started playing everyday after work. Im still nowhere a good player but a lot better than hyzering out instently after I throw

My brothers had been playing for over a decade when they invited me to play and even gave me a few beat up discs. But since I lived 200 miles away, the discs only sat in my garage. That was until 2009 when I moved back home and beside a course. That's when the lights came on and the rest is history! I bet I played twice a day (during the summer) every evening and threw ever chance I could , even if it was a parking lot. Now, 4.5 years later I'm dragging my kids around the course.

Latest posts