• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Get Rid of Off Axis Torque?

I would think your leopard3 should be good enough since you had already said you didn't want to buy a new disc. I could be wrong, but since the leopard is another disc that is always mentioned as the starter/trainer learn to throw flat disc.

Are you saying for him to throw an understable disc and correct his form until he throws it level? To me it sounds like he is rolling his wrist or releasing at a strong anny so that's why I suggested a putter and practice releasing on a strong hyzer then eventually releasing it flat. ?

Are you saying for him to throw an understable disc and correct his form until he throws it level? To me it sounds like he is rolling his wrist or releasing at a strong anny so that's why I suggested a putter and practice releasing on a strong hyzer then eventually releasing it flat. ?

I guess yeah. It was more of a question than a suggestion. Hard to say what his actual cause is, I was just going off him saying he didn't want to invest in a new disc and the leopard being super understable is a disc always recommended to show form issues.

If the comet is a better choice I probably have misunderstood other threads.

I guess yeah. It was more of a question than a suggestion. Hard to say what his actual cause is, I was just going off him saying he didn't want to invest in a new disc and the leopard being super understable is a disc always recommended to show form issues.

If the comet is a better choice I probably have misunderstood other threads.

No, that's fine too actually. I've just learned that throwing hyzer is usually the culprit for most new players but there are a few that torque the hell out of an overstable disc and develop severe anny releases that are hard to correct. I'm guessing this is the op's scenario, hence the suggestion to throw hyzer for a while to help level his release. But I would totally agree new players are better off learning to throw understable discs and gradually move to less us discs as their power/form develops.

Closed shoulder snap drill with putters, helps you find the feeling of less is more, leading to you trying less. Trying too hard often leads to OAT as you get the acceleration wrong and the disc wobbles out of your fingers rather than ripping out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ

Then hyzers with putters, and understable discs. This is much more successful if you control the hyzer angle by leaning forward at the waist rather than trying to change the angle of your wrist/fingers/arm whatever. Just find your comfortable nose down grip and lean forward.

Start close to the basket - 15/20 meters or so, throw and throw until every disc follows a hyzer line to the basket - work backwards ten meters at a time, always making sure every disc follows the line you put it on without flipping up. It forces you to throw on plane through the shot. (it also might make you throw with a bit of wrist roll under, but that's not the end of the world) Helps you to find the feeling of throwing on plane and then you can start to straighten up and do the same drill throwing straight shots and then annys. You'll find this will hugely increase your on course approaching confidence as a byproduct.

Also going back to your original post - don't feel you have to let go of the fan grip, a lot of top pros throw fan grip up to even their longest drives, I play a lot of technical courses and much prefer the control from the fan grip over the little extra power the power grip generates, my longest ever drives were done with a fan grip. Biggest issue it causes is it's slightly more difficult to throw nose down with a fan.

Really? I've found forgetting everything I knew about throwing Frisbees was crucial to me consistently getting to 300 ft with any of my drivers.

Same here---but I didn't start OATing just 'cause I changed discs. In fact, driver discs hyzered off 'til I got my grip correct.

I think his lack of OS discs is indicative of OAT.

If that was true, I'd be turning over everything understable, which has never happened. Heh, I'm not used to people being jealous of my discing abilities. :D

Last edited:
I would think your leopard3 should be good enough since you had already said you didn't want to buy a new disc. I could be wrong, but since the leopard is another disc that is always mentioned as the starter/trainer learn to throw flat disc.

A Pro Leopard is a great learning disc. I found the Leopard3 to be more of a stable (straight) disc than a understable disc that could be turned over with poor form.

Lots of great conversation ITT. Thanks a lot everyone. I just want to clarify a few things:

-I'm definitely not unintentionally putting the disc on an anny line. I know this because all the OAT makes hyzer flipping my Leo3 really easy. The problem is I know that people with good form can put a Leo3 out to 400ft or so, so it doesnt make sense that my throws are either going to about 275 ft, or just turning into cut rollers when I throw really hard. I feel like OAT is the most likely culprit here. I don't only have this issue with my Leo3. My Champ Valkyrie used to do the same thing (until I lost it) which is even more suggestive of OAT IMO.

-I will definitely try to investigate what my wrist is doing when I throw. Most likely with a video that I can post ITT or elsewhere.

-I also need grip work. With my fan grip I had severe nose up/everything spike hyzers issues. When I went to a power grip I stopped having nose up issues but then developed the OAT.

Like I said thanks a ton for stopping into this thread with all the advice. Now I just need to spend a few Saturdays actually throwing slow, carefully considered shots with something understable until I can get it fixed. The only issue is resisting the urge to just play a round of disc golf!

Sounds like all the diverse suggestions has given you some things to consider and that's awesome. Keep it slow, throw a putter for a bit, and like you said find time for field work...and things should iron out.

Understable discs are supposed to turn over.

Right. So if I'm not turning over[into the ground] us discs[unless I want them to do so], how could I possibly be turning over os discs, which is a symptom of OAT? You're not making sense today.

Right. So if I'm not turning over[into the ground] us discs[unless I want them to do so], how could I possibly be turning over os discs, which is a symptom of OAT? You're not making sense today.

I've always thought OAT (off axis torque) was mainly the disc fluttering like a wounded bird when released? Otherwise still sounds like you're perhaps rounding, coming over your shoulder, or just really rolling your wrist at release.... if you're turning over os discs.

I worked on my form for years. The muscle memory I obtained through this work is crucial to the easy throws I have today, but I didn't make a lot of progress in removing OAT until I started concentrating on what is happening with the disc while I'm throwing. That's pretty much all I think about now during the actual throw. It was my breakthrough.

It may be more productive to educate us on our shortcomings than to be derogatory. This isn't a Republican debate.

I have a real bad tendency of strong arming my throws, which leads to OAT. I found that throwing putters slow and easy helps to correct things. Don't worry about distance at all. Just focus on getting the disc to fly smooth and straight. I find that KC Avairs work the best for me for working on this. Best of luck! Stay patient, and keep practicing!

I wouldn't think you would. US discs not turning over is also a symptom of OAT. The more common symptom in my region, from what I've seen. Because everyone around here started with Ultimate.