• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] How do DD plastics compare to Innova/Discraft plastics?

RedBear23

Bogey Member
Exactly what the title says, how do they compare to Innova or Discraft? Like Innova has Champion and Discraft has Elite Z, what are the DD counterparts to these plastics?

They're the same as the options from Lat64

Lucid/Opto is like Champ and Elite Z like he said already.
Fuzion/Goldline is somewhat similar to star but usually softer with more grip.
BioFuzion is a recycled grind blend of the two like other regrinds.
Then they have three levels of a base plastic in different hardness. Classic (firmest) Classic Blend (medium) and Classic Soft.

Okay, cool. I found another thread but it did was compare the plastics in general from company to company. Thanks for the info.

The Lucid plastic reminds me a lot of Innova's Jolly Launcher Champion, as far as midranges go.

They need to work on their base plastic a bunch to try and catch Innova but then again, so does everybody.

They need to work on their base plastic a bunch to try and catch Innova but then again, so does everybody.

Thats true, Although I don't hate Pro D like most though it's a bit soft.

Pretty much everyones base warps bad except Innovas. Yes they warp but you can bend them back. The others stay that way.

How so? Cause personally I think current DX and R-pro is garbage. I haven't really felt or used a DX disc since the mid to late 90's that I thought was great. I have a DX shark from circa 1996 that is like buttery velvet. It's so much more quality than you find today. I've used current dx teebirds and sharks and they felt way soft and rubbery and wore terribly. The last teebird took one big tee hit and put a big permanent taco in it. I gave it away and that guy threw that wobbly thing right into the water later that day.

Now if you're talking KC pro and pro it's usually still pretty good. Great grip and feel and fairly durable for not being super premium stuff. Not the most consistent from run to run when it comes to feel but no company really is. I have classic judges from runs just months apart and I wouldn't call them identical.

I just don't know how you mean they need to catch up. They're offering three flexes of base plastic (which innova doesn't) in a good amount of their putters and a few of the approach used mids. With likely more to come. Cosmetically the hard classic dings up but all base does. I haven't seen any huge permanent warping issues either and I've used all flexes in all the molds. Even intentionally torture testing some.

I guess you could say Lat64 would need to do the work they're the manufacturer but from what I know of the process they are very receptive to the feedback of customers and the companies they mold for.

Last edited:
I should add I've not thrown the newest stuff enough to give a great opinion from DD. Though my older stuff just hasn't ever broken in right from Lat, Prodigy or Prodiscus (all have warped irregularly). Gateways can warp too after heavy use (though I fixed a Magic after about an hour of work). I agree the current DX isn't the best but you can sand down and heat up discs back into shape fairly easily. I got base blends from everyone else that are too far gone. Maybe I hit too many trees. :(

How so? Cause personally I think current DX and R-pro is garbage. I haven't really felt or used a DX disc since the mid to late 90's that I thought was great. I have a DX shark from circa 1996 that is like buttery velvet. It's so much more quality than you find today. I've used current dx teebirds and sharks and they felt way soft and rubbery and wore terribly. The last teebird took one big tee hit and put a big permanent taco in it. I gave it away and that guy threw that wobbly thing right into the water later that day.

I have to disagree with this. All of the DX I've used has the swoosh stamp, so that's mid 00's, I think. Only my Vipers are pre-flight numbers, so... That's like post 2008 on all of my other DX. ( I think.. I may be way off on these years) I've used Eagles, Rhynos, Vipers, Gazelles, and one Shark, Leopard, Stingray, and Banshee. None of them have insta-taco'd (I hit alot of trees), and only the Banshee and one Rhyno were disliked. They were waxy, and I feel like they weren't lasting as well. One Eagle lost a chunk, but I think I hit a rock. It was on a blind hole. Other than that, I really like DX.

Other than the Banshee and Rhyno (which I actually shelved when I had those molds bagged) the others have all broken in smoothly, and not too terribly fast.

I realize this is off topic though. Sorry :p

Also. I'm not doubting your results, just saying mine.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with this. All of the DX I've used has the swoosh stamp, so that's mid 00's, I think. Only my Vipers are pre-flight numbers, so... That's like post 2008 on all of my other DX. ( I think.. I may be way off on these years) I've used Eagles, Rhynos, Vipers, Gazelles, and one Shark, Leopard, Stingray, and Banshee. None of them have insta-taco'd (I hit alot of trees), and only the Banshee and one Rhyno were disliked. They were waxy, and I feel like they weren't lasting as well. One Eagle lost a chunk, but I think I hit a rock. It was on a blind hole. Other than that, I really like DX.

Other than the Banshee and Rhyno (which I actually shelved when I had those molds bagged) the others have all broken in smoothly, and not too terribly fast.

I realize this is off topic though. Sorry :p

Also. I'm not doubting your results, just saying mine.

I'm not saying all DX is going to taco and be useless after one tree hit either. Just that it's happened to me recently and never happened like that before when they didn't have the slick and rubbery DX plastic. You also don't have to go back as far as that mid nineties shark to get good stuff but I was using that as an example since it's the only dx disc I have left. I also had a proto stamp dx banshee I got when I started playing back then that was great. I'm just going off maybe the last three years of my dx purchases. They've been garbage when it comes to durability and feel. That's subjective though I realize. Some people might prefer that rubbery easy to chunk stuff.

He simply said DD needs to catch up and I'm wanting more of an explanation because in my eyes Innova is regressing in their base plastic quality and I see Lat64 making improvements and running more molds in a very short time. Like less than a year really. They had the Test material one and two and then the eze and now they are doing the firm, medium, and soft. I'm just wondering where he sees this drastic difference from Innova and other companies because I don't. Innova isn't even offering different flexes of base plastic like a Gateway or Lat64.

I'm not saying all DX is going to taco and be useless after one tree hit either. Just that it's happened to me recently and never happened like that before when they didn't have the slick and rubbery DX plastic. You also don't have to go back as far as that mid nineties shark to get good stuff but I was using that as an example since it's the only dx disc I have left. I also had a proto stamp dx banshee I got when I started playing back then that was great. I'm just going off maybe the last three years of my dx purchases. They've been garbage when it comes to durability and feel. That's subjective though I realize. Some people might prefer that rubbery easy to chunk stuff.

He simply said DD needs to catch up and I'm wanting more of an explanation because in my eyes Innova is regressing in their base plastic quality and I see Lat64 making improvements and running more molds in a very short time. Like less than a year really. They had the Test material one and two and then the eze and now they are doing the firm, medium, and soft. I'm just wondering where he sees this drastic difference from Innova and other companies because I don't. Innova isn't even offering different flexes of base plastic like a Gateway or Lat64.

I'm only going off my last two years of purchases (because that's how long I've been playing) Only two of my discs were rubbery, or waxy, or whatever. So the bottom line is, Innova is inconsistent :p But I've also heard/read about people complaining about the "crappy, waxy, chunky DX" in the 90s. So... Innova has always been inconsistent :p

I'm not complaining about Lat's/DDs base plastic. I think it's pretty good, actually. I don't see where the problem is either. Now, where are the Classic Escapes?

I kind of have to agree on some of this. I have a mid nineties to early 00s San Marino Stingray that feels much better than a lot of the DX plastic that I have thrown recently (primarily Sharks). I also throw a Pro-D buzz which in my opinion feels similar to the San Marino Stingray, but not as buttery.

i haven't felt up too much and i certainly haven't thrown any, but i will say one thing: going just off of feel, DD's and lat's classic hard/zero hard feels ten times better than any DX. i would never throw a soft disc again except for dangerous greens. i was considering snagging a roc today and as soon as i felt the DX plastic i thought "ew". it all felt like r-pro was mixed in or something. the KC pro felt better, that's for sure. that might be more comparable to classic hard.

i haven't felt up too much and i certainly haven't thrown any, but i will say one thing: going just off of feel, DD's and lat's classic hard/zero hard feels ten times better than any DX. i would never throw a soft disc again except for dangerous greens. i was considering snagging a roc today and as soon as i felt the DX plastic i thought "ew". it all felt like r-pro was mixed in or something. the KC pro felt better, that's for sure. that might be more comparable to classic hard.

That's what I think too. I think the classic from DD/Lat64 is more comparable to Kc Pro. You get what you pay for I guess. If you are happy saving a few bucks and don't mind current DX discs you get that. If you want better feel and wear you spend a little more for Classic or KC Pro. I just think it's silly when people won't admit that the DX of today is nothing like it was. It clearly is not similar.

I almost wish I kept the DX shark I got last year from disc nation. I ended up trading it to a woman who was just beginning and she loved the rainbow swirl purple color and soft feel. So I guess good for her and I was only out maybe eight bucks but it was nothing like the DX shark I knew from high school days. I held them side by side and it was laughable to me. The new shark felt like at least 50% rubber blend. I could completely taco it in my hand with little effort. I can barely get the old one to bend at all. It pretty much feels like newish kc pro but better grip and faster wear.

Fuzion seems to crack easily.
Star is the best imo, feels just as good but the shape never gets too messed up

Latest posts