• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

***HOW DO I MAXIMIZE MY DRIVE POTENTIAL???***

snash2205

I have been playing for 3 years now and I could say that I have one of the most powerful arms that Ive seen, but I feel my potential is greater. I throw my 175 destroyer RHBH with the x step just under 400 on flat ground with a one finger grip. My question is HOW CAN I EXTEND THIS DISTANCE? Whether anyone has advice, links on technique, or tips on disc weight, it would be greatly appreciated to hear from you.

Also, has anyone with a strong arm thrown a GROOVE yet? I see it has characteristics like a valkyre, but some say it does not throw like it. Is this because it is not fully broken in, or do you think that it is because they cant get the speed needed to anhyzer?

Thanks!

I have been playing for longer than 3 years and I could say that I have one of the weakest arms that I've seen....! Sorry, can't help you, but good luck.

try eliminating any wasted distance you might lose, i know that helped me when i tightened up my line and quit throwing my disc so high now i actually throw my disc down instead of up that way it gains its own altitude. i know that might sound confusing but try throwin from the top of a hill u can use alot less power and get the same distance by throwin slightly downward,

Thanks anyways! If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask because i have tried close to every type of technique.

I mainly use a destroyer for most of my drives. I do like to try and keep it low to the ground all the time. My forte is hard throws that seem to skim the grass at high speeds. The only discs (i think) that dont have high turn is an xcalaber. I stopped using it because i got a boss to takes its place.

try a power grip. Using more fingers on the disc. I use a two fingers on my control shots, but use 3 or more when I need to rip it.

This may sound odd, but i found my comfort zone with a one finger flinger on drives. I use reg. grip for everything but drivers. Ive never tried any other grip for too long, but im open to try new things if it may help.

I was the same way, but after watching a lot of good players, I have noticed the common factor is they all seem to have at least three or four fingers on the disc. Just like anything else practice, practice and practice. After a while It will be second nature. 400' with a one finger grip is damn impressive to me.

Hopefully this helps out. Im sure if it works for players of all skill levels, it will work for me after I get the hang of the release point and control. Thanks.

Also, has anyone with a strong arm thrown a GROOVE yet? I see it has characteristics like a valkyre, but some say it does not throw like it. Is this because it is not fully broken in, or do you think that it is because they cant get the speed needed to anhyzer?

Thanks!

I can get Destroyers out over 400' and the Groove is pretty stable in my opinion. 170g First run Groove is what I have thrown and it is much more stable then a Valk. Ive not thrown it much but I am having issues with it flexing too soon and losing distance.

definitely go to the power grip. It might lose you some distance now, but in the long run you will gain so much more. You can also benefit in control gains to, I know I did.

This is the same grip I use, and it comes straight from the champs mouth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAV8kKURKaw

also try a few of the tips in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

these 2 vids should be very helpful. You could also post a video of your drive on the discgolfreview.com board, they are very helpful.

Definitely use a four finger power grip. I'd move to slower drivers and follow that Dan Beato video that's posted in just about every other thread. To gain distance you'll need to improve your timing and maximize the energy you can produce from proper footwork.

it is important to know how far your throwing. what measure are you using to calculate your distance. i thought for the longest time i was breaking 450' and found out i was really throwing 375'. I use my gps and the google measurement tool to find my distance. wasn't till switched to the power grip that i maximized my distance. using the one or two finger snap only spins the disc faster, adding distance but will not make up for the power of the power grip. i have most of my drives now land over 420' during practice in a field but less than that in a tourney. the groove is kinda ridiculous in that it is very stable in hyzer release but very understabe in flat release.

I guess no matter how far you throw it only makes you want to throw farther...... I wish I could throw 400'..... shoot I wish I could throw 300' all the time..... anyhow I'll do what I always hear...... practice.....practice.... practice........

How do you maximize your distance?

Kinda reminds me of the old joke where a young man is lost and asks a older gentleman, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

The old man thinks for a second and answers "Practice, young man, practice!"

Woodpecker

Latest posts