• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you drive with a putter????

Don't stress about it. There's really no reason to drive with a putter other than to just do it.

No. If you have no ceiling, a putter will finish straighter than most discs. Accuracy is sometimes (read: usually) more important than distance.

The advantage I see is that it improves your form and knowledge of your equipment.

No. It improves your putter-driving form and knowledge of your putters.

But in an actual playing situation there's no reason to do it. That's what mids are for.

Mids are for low ceilings on short drives, or for longer open distances than your putters can reach.

And Ive seen tons of "putter driving" videos that claim 300 feet and I highly dispute they get past 250 just on flight time alone. I can get my trim Ridge and my Graboide out to about 220 Max and my XG Rhyno out to 180. But its not an essential skill...like I said its more to gain knowledge of yourself and your discs. If you're learning just one thing, you're doing everything right.

My best distance with a Pro Rhyno is 250'. I drove Hole C shorts at Hudson Mills Monster during a tournament, went dead straight and landed 20' behind the pin. The basket is tucked in to the left.

dc597fef.jpg

My point? My best drive EVER is about 350', but I can get a putter out to 250'. Just because you can't get yours past 220' doesn't mean it can't be done.

I disagee. There is a time for driving both mids and putters. Each offer different flights.

OP: I use a four finger power grip, a full x step and a neutral putter. Anodes are my favorite driving putter. Here is a video of me tossing the new Neutron Ions around on a few holes at my home course. Plenty of these shots go past 300' btw AndyJB :)

I've outdriven 375' flat ground holes with putters but usually only drive up to 325' or so in a full bag round.

You need to teach New013 how to throw a putter past 300'.

Throwing a putter far is super helpful. A beat pro rhyno will literally go DEAD straight with a touch of fade at the very end for like 280-300 for me. I can't power-down a lot else to try and do that, so I have to end up throwing higher risk lines with the same reward :|.

Why would you do that?

Smooth and flat on release. You don't have to put a lot of power into a putter to get distance. I can throw an opto Pure about 250 feet... a Ridge about 225, and it goes straight and lands flat. If you turn it over, you're throwing too hard.

That's how I do it too, if I have to power grip a putter and hyser flip it I would just use a driver in it's stead.

so like a magic???? because they just turn over on me...

What is OAT??

Off Axis Torque, so basically you're pulling the disc off of a straight line, which is a problem masked by high speed drivers, but easily seen when throwing putters or something like a comet.

And there's your answer. OAT will cause a disc to turn over. I throw a magnet on the 265' hole #5 at Red Ridge and can park it most days. Any other disc is a gamble, but putting that magnet up high it will turn just a wee bit for about 200', then straighten out before dropping straight down out of the air.

Learning to drive with putters will do amazing things to your other discs. They display OAT more than any other type of disc. If you're not getting a clean release, you'll see the disc flutter, and turn over into the ground.

today,i was throwing my 172 sss magic on alot of holes up to 300 or more when i didnt want any fade or skip and was needing accuracy.tmit was flying super straight when thrown flat ,with little turn at all unless i threw it on an anny. i powergrip them just like my mids and drivers,the only difference is i dont try to throw them as hard as i can.its more of a clean throw with the same speed all the way through.

most people wont throw a putter and you dont have to,but like it has been said,it helps for when u need accurate placement shots and helps in the long run with your mids and drivers.

Last edited:
Like everyone said there are lots of reasons to throw a putter, not just for show or just to do it. There's a hole here the comes out of a short tunnel into a somewhat tight fairway with a tree line to the left and a bush about 15 feet tall on the right. It's 260' to the pin and opens up once you get to the circle (though there's trouble behind the circle too).

The difficulty with this hole is the wind: it is always extremely windy because it's at the top of a big hill. So I started out wanting to throw drivers up the gut, but once I could manage that I would often go long or skip away. Then I started throwing hyzers over the bush to the right once I could manage that and they would fade so hard due to the wind or skip away, I wasn't making many birdies. So I switched to the Buzzz: with the wind, there was little difference between the Buzzz and a driver. The wind for some reason catches my Comets and they sail way deep past the pin.

So in the end, I decided to see if I could get there with the Anode. I'd never seen anyone do it, and doubted that I could get there without difficulty. Threw it out on a hyzer over the bush, and it gently floated right to the pin. Easy mode. With the Anode, I know that if I hit the line and get it out over the bush, and throw it a bit nose up, it's going to drop out of the air. If I get it a little more nose down, it will fade more but I rarely fade past the circle. It's just much easier to control and I birdie that hole a lot more now (and fear the wind less).

You don't know what you can do if you don't try. When you get it down, throwing putters is actually easier than throwing your drivers or mids because the putters don't need a ton of speed to go decently far, they just need fluid mechanics.

But if you don't want to do it, then don't do it.

Yea, anybody doubting a 300' putter toss has a very small imagination. I have seen close to 400' putter throws.

At any rate, I disagree with people saying to flip the putter. With good clean form (no OAT) a fresh putter should not flip very much at all. Your answer for putter D = lose the OAT.
While that is all true, most people don't get to where they can throw a putter 300'. 250'-280' is the range for "no hitters," which is a vast majority of disc golfers. The "half hitters" are in the 300' range and full hitters can get them out to 350'-400'.

Losing the OAT is the biggest part of it. You just throw your putter the same way you would a mid or fairway driver but aim higher.

Yep, that's the part a lot of people don't get. Most players, even ones that consistently break 350' with drivers, still have a lot of OAT in their throw. They try throwing a putter like a driver and immediately turn it over and think its because of the disc. I can throw an Anode or Ion just like my drivers except aim a little higher and get them dead straight, then hand that same exact disc to one of my buddies and watch them turn it over hard 150' out.

These skills translate into every disc you throw, not just putters. For example on hole #10 in that video...we threw long tee yesterday and I had a bad drive. Was about 350' out and a bit to the left and wanted an accurate shot that cleared the bush but didn't skip past into the water. I cracked a slightly worn Axis a little wide right and about 30' high and it landed gently in between the bush and the pin. Much more difficult to do that shot with a driver that fades harder and has a potential to skip further.

While that is all true, most people don't get to where they can throw a putter 300'. 250'-280' is the range for "no hitters," which is a vast majority of disc golfers. The "half hitters" are in the 300' range and full hitters can get them out to 350'-400'.

Losing the OAT is the biggest part of it. You just throw your putter the same way you would a mid or fairway driver but aim higher.

I believe you as I have not trained anyone else nor really cared to. BUT...

My throw has evolved in a very specific way since I started caring about form. From 1990 until 2008 I threw the exact same strong arm way. I threw about 370' with a Teebird and it was all OAT. I distinctly remember when the Firebird came out and I was ecstatic, because the Banshee I had at the time was flipping over on me. To me in the 90's, more OAT meant more distance. Of course I didn't call it OAT, I called it power.

Once I discovered actual form on the internet I started to eliminate OAT. I didn't care about snap, all I did was take out the OAT. And in doing that the gap between my drivers and putters narrowed considerably. I reached and surpassed 300' putter drives while maxing out at just under 400' with max speed drivers. I would consider my form to have had zero snap, a true no hitter but with absolutely the minimum amount of OAT.

The gap between my putters and drivers is definitely smaller than it should be, and I think it's because I've also eliminated OAT but have little to no snap. I've wondered why I can throw a putter farther than some people who can throw farther than me, and I'm beginning think that's it's my clean albeit snapless form. No snap and no OAT isn't really bad--I put up some pretty good scores and have a very versatile game.

But I'm definitely working on the snap, because snap+no OAT is where it's at and I'm finally starting to understand, at least intellectually, some of the elements of snap.

If you are getting decent distance out of your putters and not much more out of your drivers it likely has to do with nose angle issues, not snap. Putters are pretty tolerant of nose up throws, drivers are not.

If you are getting decent distance out of your putters and not much more out of your drivers it likely has to do with nose angle issues, not snap. Putters are pretty tolerant of nose up throws, drivers are not.

While that can be true, who doesn't know when they have nose angle issues? It is the easiest problem in the world to self diagnose.

While that can be true, who doesn't know when they have nose angle issues? It is the easiest problem in the world to self diagnose.

I disagree, I've seen a lot of players throw with the nose neutral or even slightly up and insist that nose angle wasn't the problem with their shot.

I've been working on nose angle and I do think that's a factor too, but really I think the main issue is my timing. I can't really tell myself and I don't know anyone who could diagnose the throw in person. I'm working on nose angle and timing though, and seeing a lot of progress over the past few months so I'm happy with where I'm going.

Latest posts