• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you feel about "Island Holes"?

cjrogus

I bet I could throw a FH here.
I'm not talking about holes that are out in water. That's a hole other story!:D
I'm speaking specifically about those holes with defined O.B. that requires you to land on an "Island" with the pin.

This is the same hole.
Here's an example

5a21d6bf.jpg

bdc2162f.jpg

all the challenge and none of the lost disc

whats not to love

for those who 's argument is gimmicky or contrived I would add your salty cause you stink at placement golf

Maybe, on a short open course, with nothing else going for it. Otherwise, no.

all the challenge and none of the lost disc

whats not to love

for those who 's argument is gimmicky or contrived I would add your salty cause you stink at placement golf

Agreed. I wouldn't like one on every course, but once in a while it's a cheap thrill.

This is the only one on the course and is the second shortest hole there. I enjoy the change and the thrill that comes when there's any amount of wind.

I don't mind it so much unless I start missing on a regular basis. I've only played two courses with these.

Well for one its only 198 from longs!!!!! A putter shot!!!! But I like them!!! We have one here in Orlando!!! Barnett park hole 18 north side!!!!!!! Plays 318 from longs!!!! Now that is a tough shot!!!

Like a lot of things, I'm fine with them when well-done.

There is danger in having such a small island that anything that lands on it is an easy putt. You end up with a poor scoring spread---a bunch of 2s and 4s, but no 3s---and one hole may have a disproportionate effect on the round score. Sometimes the trick is properly locating the drop zone.

#11, Skull Island, at JP Moseley is a fun shot. The Island is a circle of rocks with a radius of ~40' give-or-take. If you touch any of the rocks on your drive then you are safe. The rocks don't appear to be in the pics. It's misleading how far away the island is too due to the drop in elevation and then it climbs back up to the pin ... looks like you can get a mid there easily ... and then you fall 30' short, so you pull the fairway out and go with a big hyzer and go past it :)

Gold to Basket (hard to see):

e81ebf27.jpg

Basket to Tees (Gold is on path left of where Blue tee is visible):

e464d1ae.jpg

Last edited:
We have one at Hot Shots in Maryland as well, although it isn't a forced drive to the island.

Attachments

• hole5blue-SOMDDGC.jpg
    hole5blue-SOMDDGC.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 88
I think it just feels cheap when its done with rope or really anything without some water involved.

Definitely takes away from the intimidation and wow factor that comes with a real island hole. I mean... holes like 17 at TPC Sawgrass (ya ya, apples to oranges) have legendary status not just from the precise shot needed but the shot in combination with the beauty and intimidation that hole brings.

Last edited:
It shows #6 at Jim Barnett as a water hole---despite no water even being in sight on any hole. :thmbdown: :mad:

Mandatory OBs are ok; Lunchtime has one of these, and Blue Lake is awash[unnecessarily] in mandatory OBs.

Last edited:
I like the fire hole at sellersville in PA. It is a nice addition to the course and the black tee is a tough shot. Really depends on the course and how it is done but I like it

Im a big fan of islands that have a distinguished border, like haystacks. Hole 17 at the usdgc IMO is awesome (can make or break a round). Also at the final 9 at pro worlds in charlotte they did something similar to this at hornets nest (I think it was to the practice basket maybe).

I'm not a big fan of islands that have unfair landing areas.......whether it be too small or all dirt/gravel/concrete/whatever. Idlewild IMO pushes the envelope in this category, but at the same time it makes you "think" (lay up or go for it) and golf is a thinking mans game.

Hole 11 at Peter Pan Park in Emporia, KS has a peninsula hole. Allowing an island shot for people to "go for it" across the pond. Folks who prefer to lay up can drive the perimeter of the pond, upshot the length of the peninsula and putt for par.

I like having the option to lay up.

Theres two like this that your describing in my area. I dont mind if its needed and the ob is well defined. Ours are surrounded by boulders with woodchips in the island area to make the ob definitive. I like them both. If its gimmicky though I dont like it.

No. 22 at Great Blue Heron, Norwalk , OH.

Only 172 feet, but the tee was crushed stone that is below level, so it's kind of a mud/stone combo these days.

I finally made it through safely after probably a dozen tries. With a Comet.

Attachments

• GBH_22.jpg
    GBH_22.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 130
  • GBH_22_trees.jpg
    GBH_22_trees.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 123