• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you feel about "Island Holes"?

Maybe it is because it is contrived, but I hate "fake" island holes. I am probably a lessor man for that opinion.

I think island holes should have an option to lay-up to a safer zone, then an easy putt for a potential 3, or a sure thing 4. So a daring soul could go for the 2, with consequences. But a wuss can get a fairly guaranteed 4.

My problem with fake island holes is there is a very real chance for 5's and 6's and 7's and 8's. Just seems really gimmicky to me. But then again, I'm the wuss that opts for the safe 4 over the possible 2.

hole 2 at praire center in olathe is very cool island hole not a forced drive tho .its about 280 island is only thirty feet wide . can someone load a pic of it lol thx

Maybe it is because it is contrived, but I hate "fake" island holes. I am probably a lessor man for that opinion.

I think island holes should have an option to lay-up to a safer zone, then an easy putt for a potential 3, or a sure thing 4. So a daring soul could go for the 2, with consequences. But a wuss can get a fairly guaranteed 4.

My problem with fake island holes is there is a very real chance for 5's and 6's and 7's and 8's. Just seems really gimmicky to me. But then again, I'm the wuss that opts for the safe 4 over the possible 2.

That depends on the drop zone. It may be true if a re-tee is required.

There is an island hole at Crooked Creek that is about 170', with a small island. The drop zone, if you miss it, is about 30' from the basket So you can hit the putt for a 3; 4 is about the worst you're going to get.

Other islands have the basket non-centered, with a large safe area from which a 3 is likely.

Stoney Hill #1A is a large enough island that if you're on the edge, you can very well miss the putt. The drop zone is shorter than the tee, but you can still miss the island. If you do, there's a second drop zone about 30' from the basket, so a 6 is about the worst score you can get.

As I said, it all depends on the design.

I like the idea of a Island green no matter how it is built. It is the same for everyone. Forced carries do not bother me.

I really don't mind Island holes.
In fact, I much prefer them to a long carry over water.
The only problem that I would have is if:
a. The throw is too long (anything over 250' is going to be a challenge for most players, if we disregard "Internet distance).
b. The landing area is too small for the distance (the longer the throw, the bigger the landing area).
c. Significant obstructions of any kind. Either have obstructions, or an Island Hole, not both.
d. Punitive rules. Reasonable Drop Zone after the first throw is usually the best policy.

Prairie Center hole two Olathe. If you have the ability, big arms will shoot for the tree and it will drop you on the island. I prefer to lay up with a mid and try to hit the putt over the water (concrete).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 44
Overall all I like island holes whether real water or barrier type. As far as lay up or shooting it , I just consider the risk vs reward. As I progress as a player I go for it more than I used to and when it works the thrill is very worth it. This is another island hole I like at Emporia KS Countrh Club hole 18. Perfect final hole

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 92
I like all kinds of island holes. Real water, fake island, natural barrier island, more challenge equals more fun. I like it when the course challenges me. It gets me in the zone during competitive rounds.

Whole eight at Rosedale Park and Kansas City Kansas is my favorite island hole par four 515 feet. You need to shoot a solid 300+ drive to have a chance of an island upshot for birdie. Otherwise you need to layup on 2, island hop on 3 and take a par 4 putt. Of course OB can screw that up. 3,4,5 or more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 82
#11, Skull Island, at JP Moseley is a fun shot. The Island is a circle of rocks with a radius of ~40' give-or-take. If you touch any of the rocks on your drive then you are safe. The rocks don't appear to be in the pics. It's misleading how far away the island is too due to the drop in elevation and then it climbs back up to the pin ... looks like you can get a mid there easily ... and then you fall 30' short, so you pull the fairway out and go with a big hyzer and go past it :)

Gold to Basket (hard to see):

e81ebf27.jpg

Basket to Tees (Gold is on path left of where Blue tee is visible):

e464d1ae.jpg

Played out here for the first time today. With a 20 MPH in the face I just made it on the "island", and promptly missed the putt. It does give a rather boring hole layout a little challenge, so I don't mind them occasionally on courses. It would be a little much if every course had one. I have played the one at East Roswell and at Golden Hills in Virginia, but those are shorter holes with not as much challenge for a noodle arm like me.

I like island holes as well. I was very proud of myself for hitting the one at Stoney Hill and the one at Hornet's Nest when I was down in the Carolinas.

My favorite is #13 at Grey Fox. Blind downhill anny/flick (or giganto spike hyzer for the cheating big arms), pin is on a circle of woodchips with asphalt all around and woods long.

Tee shot

1c518cbf.jpg

Approach

2dd444d2.jpg

I like the fire hole at sellersville in PA. It is a nice addition to the course and the black tee is a tough shot. Really depends on the course and how it is done but I like it

in the early days we experimented with stroke and distance instead of the pedestal of shame drop zone....on a windy day 10s or worse were not uncommon during tag rounds

I came to my senses and realizef S n D is an awful format

my home course has a short island on #11

c04d4be5.jpg

its one of my favorite holes

Last edited:
I like them. Islands, and peninsulas, both. I've seen several lcgm8 videos on YouTube where the courses use islands very effectively.

I have some ideas for a local course... if I ever get the opportunity to have it installed. On one hole, the tee shot and pin would be in the exact same configuration, but the island green would be in play for the white tee and it wouldn't be in play for the red. I do want to come up with some way, other than rope, to set the island apart from the surrounding area.

I carry my portable basket around with me all of the time. Here's a video that my 8 year old shot of me throwing a practice island hole at a local school/playground.

Hole 8 Iowa park

The bottom pic was taken in March of last year before the pin got put In. And the top right was late march/April when it went in. The area has now been seeded and all dirt is now grass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 60
i can dig them. risk vs reward. sounds good to me. blue ribbon made one hole into that last year or something if i remember correctly

i think they look stylish when done well. other than that, nothing doing for me.

i like islands with water. i like the pressure and potentially round-ruining, irreversible consequence if you screw up; it's kind of exhilarating, and a mind game i don't find elsewhere. of course it really shouldn't be - make the shot you're confident in - but sometimes your drive just isn't as good as it usually is. incentive for perfection. that said, lacking water, i'll take a fake island hole. placement golf is good, just not as exciting as a real island to me. as long as it's not a freakin' silt fence around a basket, anyway.