• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you keep your wrist down?

sbinwien

Par Member
Nose up drives are killing me. I have watched videos of myself and I am throwing an air bounce that is the result of my wrist orientation that begins all the way at my reach back...

Before throwing, I line up my disc and wrist with the center of my forearm, but when it comes time to throw, the wrist comes back up to the more neutral position and the disc is nose up... then the disc has an air bounce.

What do you do to keep the wrist down? Any ideas on how to make it feel more comfortable or natural?

I have tried the power grip, fork grip, and the modified power grip with the same results... I have worked on the "front pec drill" and still have a hard time with the wrist orientation.

I can throw 250-300 feet this way, but it is frustrating seeing the disc take off nose up and knowing it will not make it farther.

Thanks for the help!

I've been looking at this for myself.

Try this:

Do a normal run up like your going to throw but stop with you elbow out and the disc at your pec. While your disc may be flat look at the orientation of your elbow. It is higher than your disc? Now slowly go through the rest of the throwing motion. If the elbow is higher you can see your forearm will travel along the angled plane and the nose of the disc will be nose up during the release point.

I think I'm having this problem.

Keep the elbow neutral or a little lower than your pull plane and it just may help.

Note: this is theory only as I just discovered I'm doing this the other night and haven't been out to test it yet.

Thanks.

I will double check my elbow and forearm position. That is something I did not think about.

Nose angle is a tough one for me. I was reading somewhere, I beleive on DGR, that the position of the nose of the disc is different depending on the flight and can change during flight, adn I assume, it has to do with it being the front end of the disc whereever it is going.

The elbow staying below the disc is an interesting thought that I feel might be accurate as, I tend to have an easier time keeping nose down when throwing at an anhyzer angle and it could be because I am pulling with the disc oriented a little higher.

Nose down drives

The best way to keep the nose down is to make sure you
lean forward slightly just as you release. The reason most
people have a problem is that they are leaning back slightly
when they release. This causes your arm to go up as you
follow through.

ive found that if you tilt your head back then you tend to throw the disk up and if you tilt it foward then tou tend to throw it down

Weight transfer does play a role, but is not the sole factor. Weight transfer affects arm plane, nose down/angle is more a function of wrist orientation to the forearm.

Now, it's true, that not transfering weight forward will typically result in a high throw that stalls out. And too much will typically result in a low line drive or worm burner. It affects the general direction of where the disc is going.

What I've found in my throw is that if I have too little weight transfer (usually either fatigue or too big of a last step) I'll tend to throw the "Oh-lay!" throw, a swooping across and up arm plane which puts the disc somewhere way left. I've also been prone to allow "nose up" wrist angle when throwing higher annys, changing the arm plane AND nose angle resulting in a throw that heads up and goes way left, rather than going up into a nice turn and staying in that turn on the descent.

Realize you can aim up with the nose down and aim down with the nose up, all by changing arm plane and wrist orientation. Confused yet?

It's both, together.

ive found that if you tilt your head back then you tend to throw the disk up and if you tilt it foward then tou tend to throw it down

When I have had success lately, it has actualy been because of this I think.

Before, I would have my head up looking down course, then try to look away for reach back as I am mid motion. Lately, I look down course and square my shoulders where I want to go, then look down and relax myself before starting any motion.

I got the idea from the jump putt video where the one guy (I probably should know but I am horrible with names) doesnt jump putt because he gets a visual, comits it to memory and then goes through his motion.

This also seems to help me get more body motion as I am a little sore from my plant foot ankle then the thigh, and the muscles up my back arround the bottom of my shoulder blade which I think is actually better than only feeling it in my shoulder and pect.

EDIT: Also my upper hip. Reminds me of the soreness I had in my triceps when I first started playing.

Last edited:
Getting the weight as far forward on your plant foot will help keep the nose down. It's all a combination of many things, but this is a major factor.

Practice, practice, practice. One of the best examples is Climo himself. Look at videos of him and try and emulate his throwing style.

I got the idea from the jump putt video where the one guy (I probably should know but I am horrible with names) doesnt jump putt because he gets a visual, comits it to memory and then goes through his motion.

i think you are talking about ron russell. but any how try to emulate one of the top pros and if you can get youre style as close as possible to theirs it will help significantly

what i dont understand is tilting the wrist down to me that just seems like putting the disc on a hyzer line

i think you are talking about ron russell. but any how try to emulate one of the top pros and if you can get youre style as close as possible to theirs it will help significantly

what i dont understand is tilting the wrist down to me that just seems like putting the disc on a hyzer line

I finally just saw some footage of Ron Russell putting. That's confidence! He goes right at it! And he's awesome, a v-e-r-y smooth thrower at all aspects of the game.

Realize you can aim up with the nose down and aim down with the nose up, all by changing arm plane and wrist orientation.

This is where I want to be... Independent control of both the throw angle and disc angle.

Silly question, does your follow through have any specific effect on the nose or wrist angle? or is it more in the OAT category?

Thanks for all of the help!

There's some great suggestions on here and I'm sure many of them will work great for you. Here's what works extremely well for me.

I know personally, when ever I seem to be throwing higher than I want to or not as level as I've been hoping for, I repeat the steps of a good throw in REVERSE order.

If you think about it this way, the real problem of your shot is your release (with out seeing you form obviously) which dictates how your shot will fly. Try orientating your arm at how you would want it exactly at the "hit" or point of snap of your shot.

Before you shoot, hold your disc at this "hit" point nice and flat and in the straight line your going to pull your disc through. Then just hold feeling/positioning in your arm and practice pulling it through, never allowing your arm to break from that line.

This may feel weird and awkward, sort of tight on your forarms or in your grip but for me it really works. In actuality, its really not that more tight than your regular grip, its more the fact that your muscles feel tight because they are not used to this type of aleignment or movement. It'll take a while to develop the muscle memory for this, but once you do, You'll be suprised at how much less you'll have to put on it, and how much more snap and distance you can develop from it. This can also be done without any footwork or anything. No X step is required to generate good power (though it will add even more distance) to your shot.

Wow, that really is "from the hit backwards", but I definitely think you are right.

I am focusing on the wrist angle the whole way through and I do need to start with the hit. Then get the wrist, arm, and elbow in the correct positions... and then start working backwards.

Thanks again for all the great tips.

Videotape yourself -

1. Use a Tripod, don't have someone hold it.
2. Shoot at angles from the back and side, and make sure you can see the flight of the disc from the back angle.
3. Analyze. Repeat as necessary.

If you've never done it, you'll be surprised at what you think you're doing vs. what you are actually doing during the throw.

Follow through with the throw.
Shift youir weight from your back foot to your front.

I just watched some video of myself last Friday...

Wow, I am actually throwing down with the disc angled flat to nose up. I start my throw with the disc near my left shoulder and end with my hand above the waist. I guess the wrist angle up has been to compensate for this throwing direction.

I need to fix this before I can even begin to work on the wrist orientation. This will be unlearning 10+ years of throwing discs wrong.