• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how do you react when people throw in on you?

Only time I've ever had to escalate beyond "Not Clear" Was at Acorn in Roseville, MN. I was there with my wife, my 3 kids and my nephew. The 2 youngest were in strollers. We teed off on hole 2 and as we were putting a disc flew into the wheel of the stroller. THis is not a blind hole. My wife picked up the disc and threw it back at them. Then the *******s threw another one that almost hit my 4 year old daughter.

I pulled the pocket knife out of my bag, walked over to his disc and cut his new Champ boss in half.

They gave us a lot of room after that.

...this is what i do EVERY time someone throws on me :| even if im by myself

If I ever need legal advice this board will be the first place I consult. ;)

Might as well, people consult this site all the time for medical advice!

I play fast and let others play through, so nobody ever throws "on" me. In the rare times that I get buzzed by a disc on crossing fairways, usually the person who threw it is immediately apologetic. If they aren't, I don't care. If anyone ever hits my dog from an adjacent fairway they're going to get an earful of guilt trip. Barring serious injury in my group or intent to hur someone in my group, that's about all I'd be interested in doling out. I'm not so important or imposing a presence on the course that others keep three holes between me and them for fear of my wrath, and trying to make people fear my wrath would just be bluffing anyway, and I'm not good at bluffing.

I love how "we" complain about the lack of respect (for the courses) that new players have, yet so many "established" golfers on here are quick to jump to intimidation and violence.

Well, no interest in legal hypos it seems. Lets get to the answers...

1 - Because Pchitti doesn't intend to commit any tort against Archetype, the intent portion fails. There is also no result against archetype because he does not comprehend physical contact and was not contacted. Archetype did commit conversion by throwing pchitti's disc into a chasm. The way to think of conversion is taking complete dominion over something. Usually this is stealing, but if you destroy something or prevent its owner from ever enjoying its value again it is considered conversion.

2 - Pchitti wants to hit Archetype, so he is intending to commit the tort of battery. This intent transfers to the result of assault, as Archetype clearly comprehended imminent harmful physical contact as he jumped out of the way. Therefore, pchitti assaulted archetype. Archetype intends to hit pchitti back, but there is no result as pchitti believes that the disc has no chance of hitting him.

3 - Pchitti intends to hit prerube, so this is intended battery. This intent transfers to the result of battery when the disc hits archetype. As such pchitti battered archetype. He was hit in the back, however, so the result of assault is unlikely (you must comprehend imminent harmful contact for assault; you probably don't comprehend anything in advance when hit in the back). There is also no evidence that prerube comprehended that he was being thrown at.

4 - Pchitti knows that the disc belongs to prerube, and commits trespass against chattels (not conversion, prerube is free to go get his disc) by throwing it without consent. The intent present in the trespass against chattels transfers to the result of battery against archetype, and as such he committed battery on archetype. Pchitti intends to falsely imprison archetype by threatening him to not get up. There is no result of false imprisonment, however, as there is no set boundary that archetype is within and there are ample ways to escape. There is also no assault, as there is no imminent contact for archetype to comprehend until pchitti actually throws a disc.

5 - Pchitti has announced that he will hit archetype with a disc tomorrow, not today, so this announcement should not produce a fear of imminent harmful contact. There is no evidence that pchitti intended to hit archetype today, and even though he did actually hit him, absent intent to commit a tort at that time he is off the hook. Archetype commits trespass against chattels by throwing pchitti's disc without consent. The intent from the trespass against chattels transfers to the trespass against prerube's real property, and as archetype caused something to enter prerube's real property without consent there is the result of trespass against prerube's real property. The intent from trespass against (pchitti's) chattels also transfers to the result of assault against prerube as prerube comprehended imminent harmful contact.

The deal was the first person to get all of them correct. I'm not inclined to lose a disc + shipping for 2 out of 5 :p

Laughing at all the internet tough guys in this thread.

lol i was only joking. if someone throws on me i normally won't say anything. unless they were too close for comfort at which point i say something like "whoa, guess i don't need my fill in body part"

Woops, I misread my own hypo for #4, there was assault as archetype saw it coming. With that note, you (archetype) got 3 out of 5 correct, and you still get nothing, good day sir.

If someone throws on me, I just pull Garret Gurthie out of my tour bag and point him in the direction of the said perpetrators with a handful of max weight champ Bosses.

:|

Well, no interest in legal hypos it seems. Lets get to the answers...

1 - Because Pchitti doesn't intend to commit any tort against Archetype, the intent portion fails. There is also no result against archetype because he does not comprehend physical contact and was not contacted. Archetype did commit conversion by throwing pchitti's disc into a chasm. The way to think of conversion is taking complete dominion over something. Usually this is stealing, but if you destroy something or prevent its owner from ever enjoying its value again it is considered conversion.

2 - Pchitti wants to hit Archetype, so he is intending to commit the tort of battery. This intent transfers to the result of assault, as Archetype clearly comprehended imminent harmful physical contact as he jumped out of the way. Therefore, pchitti assaulted archetype. Archetype intends to hit pchitti back, but there is no result as pchitti believes that the disc has no chance of hitting him.

3 - Pchitti intends to hit prerube, so this is intended battery. This intent transfers to the result of battery when the disc hits archetype. As such pchitti battered archetype. He was hit in the back, however, so the result of assault is unlikely (you must comprehend imminent harmful contact for assault; you probably don't comprehend anything in advance when hit in the back). There is also no evidence that prerube comprehended that he was being thrown at.

4 - Pchitti knows that the disc belongs to prerube, and commits trespass against chattels (not conversion, prerube is free to go get his disc) by throwing it without consent. The intent present in the trespass against chattels transfers to the result of battery against archetype, and as such he committed battery on archetype. Pchitti intends to falsely imprison archetype by threatening him to not get up. There is no result of false imprisonment, however, as there is no set boundary that archetype is within and there are ample ways to escape. There is also no assault, as there is no imminent contact for archetype to comprehend until pchitti actually throws a disc.

5 - Pchitti has announced that he will hit archetype with a disc tomorrow, not today, so this announcement should not produce a fear of imminent harmful contact. There is no evidence that pchitti intended to hit archetype today, and even though he did actually hit him, absent intent to commit a tort at that time he is off the hook. Archetype commits trespass against chattels by throwing pchitti's disc without consent. The intent from the trespass against chattels transfers to the trespass against prerube's real property, and as archetype caused something to enter prerube's real property without consent there is the result of trespass against prerube's real property. The intent from trespass against (pchitti's) chattels also transfers to the result of assault against prerube as prerube comprehended imminent harmful contact.

internet_argument.png

kind of ironic, having this thread on my mind, but we were cleaning up for the upcoming tourny on sat., doin some manual labor on somewhat of a blind hole, encouraging people to throw cause we were all ready for it. and within the 2 hours or so we were working, 90% of the people on the hole would walk through compliment our work and proceed without throwing. made me proud. our course is coming around regardless of the amount of newbs out there.:thmbup:

Honestly, if someone throws in on me I usually give a stern look at the people throwing and they either move on to the next hole and appologize or they just tuck their tail between their legs and move on to the next hole.

Seriously though, if it happens a couple holes in a row I'll be polite and let them know that what they were doing is wrong and that they need to be more courtious. If that doesn't work, I'll just let them play through so it doesn't throw me off my game and I'm not thinking about it when I play.

Tournaments are a different ballgame though. I had played one recently and had some casuals come up behind us and were relentless at being douchebags. I had kept my mouth shut as much as possible because I didn't want to get arrested during a round at a tourny.

yeah, depending how idiotic/life threatening the close call or disc hit was, i might walk off with a disc or chuck it back at them.

I was playing Fresno's course yesterday and I was playing solo. I came up on the two yahoos who proceeded to throw 4 discs each while I stood there waiting. I waited for them to finish the hole and then I threw one drive plus one putt and once again came to the next tee pad where they did the same thing. (anger is starting to boil) I then throw right behind them and finish the hole quickly. They were waiting at the next tee pad and tell me that it would be ok if I throw through them (anger rising). I throw and quickly walk to my disc and prepare to putt when a disc comes within five feet of me (thrown by the two that just told me to play through). I turn around and yell "FOUR" at them and resisted the urge of beating two teenagers for being DBs. They stopped throwing and kept their distance and I was pissed off the rest of the round. Besides those two there were at least three other groups where I had to ask if I could play through, what the hell is wrong with people from Fresno? Cool course, crappy people.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for feeding the trolls and getting me to laugh my ass of at work.

On topic: discs that hit me automatically become mine. others that throw down on me get yelled at.