• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you use your Sidewinder?

I like to hyzer flip it through the woods (how I got my ace) and for big, long annys.

what everyone else said

and I agree it's a little unpredictable, but most of that for me is lack of consistency.

Its a solid anhyzer disc and gives me great distance if it has room to work its crazy flight pattern.....a great disc for an open course with the wind at your back....never throw it into a headwind and I don't trust it on tight holes..but I can't consistently hyzer flip either........MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE SIDEWINDER DISC ON WOODED HOLES IS THAT IT IS APTLY NAMED......THE SIDEWINDER ENDS UP WINDING UP ON THE SIDE! If the made a Basketwinder I would buy that in a heartbeat!

I throw my sidewinder for rollers mostly or big high anny's. I throw it mostly on holes with water on them because I don't care if I lose it, but it always seems to work out.

so, to recap: annies, tailwinds, open spaces, and it might be crap until it's broken in. got it. ;)

Count me in with the "It's crap" crowd. It's unpredictable when it gets up to speed so it encourages powering down when it's not necessary. So you either throw far enough to make it squirrley, or you'll never get to that point becasue it encourages you not to. It's also the reason I don't recommend the Archangel or Dragon. The only reason to throw those discs is if you never plan on throwing more than like 250'.

I use it most on a 250 annie through the trees holds it's line all the way there. also a 300 annie but it's mostly open. I don't have a problem with over powering it.

attempted rollers, because they never go where I want them to

I use it as a roller on steep slope/ski hill shots. Seems to work pretty well that way.

Count me in with the "It's crap" crowd. It's unpredictable when it gets up to speed so it encourages powering down when it's not necessary. So you either throw far enough to make it squirrley, or you'll never get to that point becasue it encourages you not to. It's also the reason I don't recommend the Archangel or Dragon. The only reason to throw those discs is if you never plan on throwing more than like 250'.

Sorry Garu, it's the archer, not the arrow. ;) My Sidewinder is pretty predictable, maybe I have a freaky mold.

Addressing the unpredicatable sentiment: I bought a Champion SW when they came out and I hated it for this reason. Got rid of it.

Then I found an unmarked beat up Champ SW (with a tournament stamp on it) and to my surprise it was a very predicatable flippy disc that worked great for hyzer-flip throws. It is my main driver today (at least in calm and downwind conditions). I recently won a Star SW and it is a perfect S-curve disc right out of the box. I guess my moral of the story is, if you have an unpredictable one, try another....maybe try one in another plastic. It is a great disc!

Still trying to figure out how to throw it consistently but like most others I use it for long annies and hyzer flips. Usually I prefer to throw my valkyrie for a hyzer flip as I can get more consistent accuracy with comparable distance.

However, I have thrown my sidewinder a LOT farther than the valk and even faster drivers like my wraith and force on the occasion that it flies perfectly... which isn't often enough really.

Sorry Garu, it's the archer, not the arrow. ;) My Sidewinder is pretty predictable, maybe I have a freaky mold.
Not all discs are created equal. Some are much more sensitive to small changes in nose angle and speed which makes them less predictable. Does that mean they're impossible to throw? Obvoiusly not. Does that mean they will be more difficult to throw consistantly? Most certainly. Why choose a disc that's less predictable when there are plently of alternatives? There's a reason you see more Innova pros throwing Roadrunners and Champ Leopards than Sidewinders, Archangles and Dragons. They're all understable discs, but some are just better than others. If they were all equal the distribution would be different.

I have to speak up in support of Sidewinders. SWs might not be good for Big Arms, but for an old fart like me, they rock! I carry two right now - a 172g Star and a 150g Champion. Usually I'll carry a DX in the low 170's too, but not at the moment.

The Star SW is a real "go to" disc for me. I can play a 3 disc round using a Sidewinder (with a Roc and a JK Aviar) within a stroke or two of a round using a 19 disc bag. At the local short course, I almost always use this 3 disc set up. It's a great general purpose driver for me and I find I can put it on almost any line.

I use the light Champ SW as a max distance disc. It will flat go. The extra stability of Champion plastic balances the disc's natural understability just about perfectly for the power I have.

DX Sidewinders are a little more tricky, but are great hyzer flip discs. I admit the reason I don't have a DX SW right now is because I lost the last one I had, but there's this anhyzer line hole on a local course with really ugly shule just past the basket.

Maybe the people who are dissing the Sidewinder just throw too hard. Sidewinders and Valkyries (or a light Beast) are about as fast a disc as I'll throw, and I find SWs are great discs for me.

Still trying to figure out how to throw it consistently but like most others I use it for long annies and hyzer flips. Usually I prefer to throw my valkyrie for a hyzer flip as I can get more consistent accuracy with comparable distance.

However, I have thrown my sidewinder a LOT farther than the valk and even faster drivers like my wraith and force on the occasion that it flies perfectly... which isn't often enough really.

Ha! Threw my SW today and only had one bad drive... maybe I'm just figuring out how to throw it. It really flies if I hit my drive right.

I like sidewinders. I usually carry two champ sidewinders in my bag a 168g and a 175g. It pays to be smooth when throwing an understable distance disc and these discs remind me of the older cyclones back in the 90s. Rip it with a some hyzer or punch it flat and watch it go. Not the best into a stiff headwind, a destroyer or wraith will do better. Good disc for getting down 3/4 of the fairway on a tight tunnel shot and for tailwind shots. Get some anny on it along with some air and it will be a good turnover disc unless it is brand new. Some of the Star runs seems to be more overstable than others. Like any other disc, finding the angle of release is important.