• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does DGCR feel about this?

Dream Bagging: Playing up into a higher division when you lack the skill or mental prowess to do so.

Lebron is a champion in the NBA. I'm talking about letting now Lebron play in a high school game. How would the high school kids on the other team feel about that? Pretty much how the people in this thread are feeling I'd think.

This Lebron analogy is so stupid and incorrect, it's almost beyond words.

We're not talking about an established pro dropping down and preying on ams. The equivalent of established NBA superstar Lebron playing against high schoolers wouldn't be an am playing Advanced...it would be Paul McBeth or Will Schusterick playing MA2, which is never going to happen since there are rules preventing it.

If you want a basketball analogy in this situation, it's someone good enough to go pro and be drafted deciding to stay in college for his sophomore (or his junior or senior year ) rather than going pro. A player whose skills are such that he can obviously compete at the pro level (he's projected to be drafted #1 or top 5 or something) but he's choosing to stay at the college level to win a championship or a Naismith award. No rules against it. Nothing forcing him to go pro if he doesn't want to.

THAT is what we're usually talking about with "baggers" in disc golf. Amateurs who are simply choosing to stay amateurs. And there's nothing that prevents them from doing that forever if they so choose.

This whole thing is pure idiocy. Aaron is a great golfer and a better person. He is definitely on a hot streak right now that deserves praise instead of ridicule. I have played alot of golf with Aaron in tournaments and casually.... he is a great golfer but far from a top tier Pro. He works his ass of to get better and clearly that is paying dividends lately. Maybe some of you should spend a little more time practicing instead of sitting in front of your computers talking trash. The reality is if he wants to stay an am and play within the rules he has every right to do so. I have played many pro and am events and the reality is am events are more fun. There is less stress and a more laid back atmosphere. Aaron is as competitive as they come....when he feels its time he will move up. This thread will have no bearing on that.

Lebron is a champion in the NBA. I'm talking about letting now Lebron play in a high school game. How would the high school kids on the other team feel about that? Pretty much how the people in this thread are feeling I'd think.
That's one of the most terrible analogies for what's going on here that I can imagine. Lebron was playing at a pro level in high school. He was the first overall draft pick once he graduated. Was he sandbagging as a senior or just playing really well for the division he qualified for? He's also been a pro for 10 years. The guy in question isn't even a scratch disc golfer let alone one of, if not the, best players in the game. We aren't talking about Dave Feldberg playing in the 16 and under division, we're talking about a player playing well in the appropriate division.

It happens all the time in college sports. Players get good enough to go pro their junior year but stick around in college to hone their games a bit before making the plunge. Do division I players whine about sandbaggers every time they have to play against a team with seniors on the roster or do they practice hard and try to elevate their game to win?

I think the attitude that everyone who sucks a certain amount deserves to win is one of the worst parts of sanctioned disc golf. I was going to make a crack about grown men acting like children, but then I remembered playing at Magic: the Gathering tournaments where children would come to play knowing that they had no chance of winning anything and never complained so I decided that comparison wasn't valid.

The 3 typical responses to people defending the alleged "baggers" in these threads:

1. "Stop bitching and get better"
2. "They are playing within the rules"
3. "That's not sandbagging. Sandbagging is intentionally lowering your rating"

Let me save you the typing and just post "Option 1, 2, or 3". Cause it's all been stated over, and over, and over again.

Honestly, forget I said anything. You all are taking that analogy WAY too seriously. I didn't put much thought into it and I didn't read the entire thread, because I'm busy.

Apologies.

Last edited:
You'll always have sandbaggers. Nothing you can do it about it unfortunately. I worked in a bowling alley for a few years when I was younger. There was one guy who never shot higher than a 250 during league and his average was around 225 but when it came to tourneys with money on the line he never shot below 250.

I'm gonna have to call BS on your bowling analogy.

If the guy averaged 225, and never shot over 250, it would mean he never shot under 200 ever either - and to never shoot under 250 in a tourney means he never threw 2 shots that weren't strikes or never had a bad break or offset pins....

I can see it now - he has 8 in a row to start the game on league night and throws the next 3 in the gutter to preserve not breaking 250. :D

Instead of calling him a sandbagger, you should just say he played better on tournament oiling than he did on league oiling which happens for some bowlers (myself included) as on league nights you have 10 people all levels of skill scattering the oil everywhere and for tournament play you are shifting lanes each game and usually only 2 -6 people are using the lanes (depending on brackets) and most are higher average better bowlers using the same lines thereby letting you get into a better groove alot faster and the pacing is much faster than league nights - less outside crap going on, etc, etc, etc.:clap::clap:

I'm easily confused.

TD's for sanctioned events must accept entries for all players in good standing with the PDGA, and allow them to play in divisions for which they are eligible if those divisions are being offered.

I read your post as contrary to this. If I'm wrong, I clearly missed something.

Make it an Invitational and only accept entries from those invited?

Make it an Invitational and only accept entries from those invited?

Possible with PDGA approval, as a few events do.

However, I took the post of " td's are not obligated to accept entry forms" to be generally applicable, which it isn't.

The 3 typical responses to people defending the alleged "baggers" in these threads:

1. "Stop bitching and get better"
2. "They are playing within the rules"
3. "That's not sandbagging. Sandbagging is intentionally lowering your rating"

Let me save you the typing and just post "Option 1, 2, or 3". Cause it's all been stated over, and over, and over again.

How about if I post 1,2 and 3. Why do I have to be limited to one when they are all true. We'll quit posting our arguments "over and over" When we stop hear people whine about having to play when there's someone better in their division "over and over". :doh:

Sounds like he is hurting himself by not bumping to open. If he wins by 10 in Am1, that prolly cashes at the top in Open. I would rather have $500+ then 160$ funny money. Let him bag, he will slowly lose friends and money. He will bump up

true

So here is a serious question for the OP; I won a local Winter Wizards fundraising tournament this year as an am1 by like 6 strokes... Should I move to open or is it to soon? I mean it was putters only so that makes me really good right?

(not trolling, promise, read on)

I'm still pretty new to the sport but it seems like homeboy is doing well this year, if he can handle the heat and finish strong the rest of the year then maybe he is showing the skill-set needed for the next division. I've seen a few local guys decide to move up too early and quit the sport because they couldn't handle the next level of competition yet. I have also seen a few guys/girls move up and flourish. It is all about the person and their game at the time.

I checked the links posted on this thread concerning the guys scores and figured out who got called out, and based on his overall finishes he is still where he should be AT THIS TIME, (sorry OP used big letters so I wanted to as well) he is just the dominant force right now.

When I play for fun or for tournaments I only play myself, I can't control how anyone else plays, but I can control my pace, my throws, and my head. If I look at who has already won before I tee off I'm sunk. Every time I have lost sight of that concept I have failed.

I understand the OP's reason for posting and that was that he had an extremely large agitated clam that was forming a very large uncomfortable pearl in his soul and he wanted to vent, but this is the game we play.

If I show up to my next local tournament (If my wife will let me) and Nikko, or Barsby, or Feldberg, or Climo, or whom ever, are signed up as am1 it won't change my game plan (Granted I may be trying to throw quickly, or be late on the tee, so I don't miss some awesome golf, but that is beside the point). I'm still going to play the best golf I know how (which isn't much).

On the other hand, the USADGC champion just won an A-Tier in Open and took home 1500 bucks, beating the likes of Cale Leiviska and Paul Ulibarri, as well as several 1000 rated players.

And I beat him at GBO this year. Trust me, he is a much better player than I am. We all have our days. Play by the rules, don't complain. Most of these so called Super Ams are still playing by the rules.

Latest posts