• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] How does the Patriot compare to the QJLS?

reed2020

Par Member
I recently was introduced to the QJLS, specifically the CE and Candy Champ older runs and they are my new favorite drivers. I have been reading a lot about Legacy and I am interested in trying some out. The Patriot is the most intriguing, but I have a feeling it would be a major overlap with the QJ. Maybe the Rival? Used to the throw tee birds, but now I am down to a 11x KC Pro. Which is the best plastic for these discs?

I dont know how the patriot flys beond the inbounds chart but I would not avoid the more current JLS (I assume your wondering because you dont want to chase down $$$ out of print discs) I own pretty much every jls from test run of 2000 CE's to Appoved stamp CE, Appoved clear champ, Big letters champ, many diff production #'s champ, First through newer star runs up to 1.10 glitterchamps and I can honestly say that I like the current runs about as much as any other. Its nice to buy them in person to get the dome and plh that you are after. BTW my current favorite jls's are true Sirrus 1.1's (no www.innova tooling on the bottom, I know that some have been misstamped I also bought a PLS that was stamped as a 1.1 jls I dont think these are common but heads up)

The patriot is nothing like a CE QJLS. With that said, the most under stable version of the Pat would be the 169 and less pinnacle editions. They are flippy right out of the box.

A better pairing with your QJ's is the rival for sure. The rival is awesome, and compliments the QJ perfectly.

The patriot is very leopard like to me and I like the icon plastic the best. It started out pretty stable/neutral but its certainly understable now. Such a versatile disc, I use it for hyzer flip turnovers, slow s turns, rollers and straight shots with no fade. Great disc!

Now as far as the rival, the pinnacle version is probably the "closest" to the cal 11x teebirds, but not quite as stable and less glide. Ive actually been back on the teebird bandwagon for the extra glide, but the patriot will not leave my bag.

A better pairing with your QJ's is the rival for sure. The rival is awesome, and compliments the QJ perfectly.

I carry three QJs, one for stable, one for turnovers, and a beat one for hyzer flip to turnover/uphills. In the summer I bag up to three ce eagles to complement my CE QJs but in the winter I bag a pinnacle rival for the beat eagle slot and a legend rival for my seasoned eagle.

I've thrown a newish legend patriot and I'd say it had major overlap with my fresh QJ slot and I love QJs.

dscn0753g.jpg

I only know about the icon patriot. I threw it along an eagle L.
patriot is more OS, and goes farther, but takes more effort.

I carry three QJs, one for stable, one for turnovers, and a beat one for hyzer flip to turnover/uphills. In the summer I bag up to three ce eagles to complement my CE QJs but in the winter I bag a pinnacle rival for the beat eagle slot and a legend rival for my seasoned eagle.

I've thrown a newish legend patriot and I'd say it had major overlap with my fresh QJ slot and I love QJs.

dscn0753g.jpg

That dayglow QJ looks familiar. Did I sell that to you? I know we have done some QJ business in the past.

On the Legacy side: Icon Patriot and Rival are my favorite fairway drivers. Pretty much all I use anymore. I have a pretty good stack of both I rotate in and out. Patriot in icon is going to be a lot like a faster leopard. I can throw Patriots about 40 feet further than a leopard (former star leopard fanatic) with the same amount of force and following the exact same lines. For me the Icons have all been pretty consistent to that depending on weight (just like star leopards).

The rival reminds more of a seasoned Eagle X than a TBird but then again I never threw 11x Tbirds. Icon rival is a little faster than a Eagle/Tbird. Rival has a bit more turn than a Tbird also which is why I think it gets compared to an Eagle a lot. I think the Rival is faster I tend to throw it farther with less effort than the Tbird, but that could just be my throwing style. Marshall St actually rates the Rival a speed 8 instead of speed 7. I would agree with that.

Will not speak for the Patriot and Rival in other plastics. I stopped at Icon because I love the plastic so much. Super grippy, but very durable for Star/ESP like plastic.

I have two blue CE Qmys that I would probly be down to trade try to get some pictures of them up tommorow. Ill PM after that

I have two blue CE Qmys that I would probly be down to trade try to get some pictures of them up tommorow. Ill PM after that

Those are beautiful discs but I think we're both wanting heavies;) I do like that hideaway pizza QJ and almost picked it up a while back but I think I'm good on QJs for a while.

I love the blue CE millenium stuff I still regret selling you the discs unlimited qjls:doh:

I've thrown the DU a few times and as soon as my current stable ce jls beats into a hyzer flipper, its my next choice to drop in the bag for fresh stable lines. Thanks again!!

Yea, were after the heavies. I lost my fave Qmy this fall at a tourney. 180 on the back, scaled at 183!