• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far do you throw?

How far do you throw?

• Total voters
I know this argument has been discussed into the ground, but here are some contributors to inflated distance

A lot of courses have terrible marked distance so people think, "My home course has a 450' hole that I birdie all the time"
A lot of people haven't actually seen a marked out 400' throw so they don't understand exactly how far it is.
A lot of people use downhills and tailwinds for their "max distance"
A lot of people are liars (maybe unintentionally)

It's like when that one guy who really wants to be tall says he is 6'1, when he's not. But you KNOW you are taller than him, so you are at least 6'2.

I know that I can throw at least 400' on forehand. I have measured it multiple different ways. I have also hit chains on two different holes over 375 feet, both were downhill.

That being said, out of competitive disc golfers, meaning people who do field work and have actively pursued technique and advancement, there are a lot of people who can throw over 400'. But most people who say they can, actually can't.

I really could care less if people inflate their actual distances. Doesn't hurt my game one bit.

I really could care less if people inflate their actual distances. Doesn't hurt my game one bit.

I enjoy inflated distances. They push me to improve my flat ground, zero wind distance. If I read that some first-time poster can throw 500' after a month of playing, I want to throw 500' without any help from elevation or wind. So if I ever run into this disc phenom, I can show him what it really looks like. Then enjoy his awkward-looking-runnup 350' max d and subsequent humbling apology for forgetting to mention the 50' of downhill and strong tailwind in his original post.

Considering I picked up my first disc in February of this year, actually didn't know there was a difference from regular Frisbees, I am averaging 300-350. Discing down has made a huge difference

for those struggling with distance, try some high speed drivers...

the vibram lace and westside king can add hundreds of feet to your game if you dont throw them like garbage.

It's like when that one guy who really wants to be tall says he is 6'1, when he's not. But you KNOW you are taller than him, so you are at least 6'2.

I'm 6'3 -- 6'4 with my shoes on, and maybe 6'6 with my shoes on and on my tiptoes -- which is taller than a baby giraffe; therefore, I am taller than a giraffe. :p

During a distance competition recently out of more than 20 people only a handful were actually hitting over 400' and the average was closer to 330-350'. I told a few people about these distances and was told they would have easily been at the top at around 450'. I don't think people realize how far they really throw. I myself used to think I threw further, but have become content in the distances I can throw.

During a distance competition recently out of more than 20 people only a handful were actually hitting over 400' and the average was closer to 330-350'. I told a few people about these distances and was told they would have easily been at the top at around 450'. I don't think people realize how far they really throw. I myself used to think I threw further, but have become content in the distances I can throw.

This. I thought I was throwing farther, but then I measured my distances, and learned to throw how far I said I was throwing.

I'd say that it is entirely regional as others have said. I'm from SE Michigan (Lots of tree filled courses) and almost all the courses are technical, not distance based. I throw around 270-300' RHFH, 225' RHBH (Shoulder problems :/) and that is honestly more than enough for every course that I have played (Except for Hudson Mills Monster, which requires some bombs to par).

From what I've seen, courses out west or in the heartland don't have many obstacles, so they need to compensate with distance. Obviously people will need to throw farther, so they do. So that could explain why some people have "inflated" numbers.

I'm really happy with 200' if it's where I wanted it to go. Considering just a month ago I was at around 150' regularly, that's freaking awesome.

Sounds like you need to practice throwing some putters and mids for a while

Id say around 350 pretty constantly. I seem to max at around 400-410 on a good day.

Latest posts