• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far do you throw?

How far do you throw?

• Total voters
Dang! That dude at 2:04 absolutely bombed that roc, what a cannon :|!

p.s., to witness the 500 foot bomb, go to around 4:47, the disc is in the air about 10 seconds on a pure golf shot.

@ 7:15 is quite the bomb too ... for the drop-in 3 :sick:

I am one of the TDs for the Next Adventure Amateur Championship that took place this past weekend in Portland, Oregon. Our venue had a field adjacent to tournament central that was about 560' by 500'. We setup a teepad and put distance markers every 100' down the field to 500' and let all the players test their distance throughout the weekend. Distances were measured by tape, then verified with a laser rangefinder. The field was flat and there was no significant wind.

We had one person (MA1) get over the 500' mark. Another MA1 player (15 year old) got to 492'.

There were probably a dozen players able to get to around 450'-475', including one advanced masters player who had a 462' throw.

Other than those guys, I think most people were pretty surprised at how far they couldn't actually throw. Many people struggled to get to 400' even though they thought they could throw in the 450' range. I even had one guy try to argue that my rangefinder was must be wrong!

All in all, it was pretty cool to see people crushing tons of drives and knowing their "actual" distance, instead of their assumed distance.

Probably around 340. I feel like I've hit a distance wall, need to work more.

I seem to be right around 200 or so now. I learned to play by throwing RHFH, which felt the most natural to me because I played baseball most of my life. I got to the point where I had good distance, but realized that I also needed to develop RHBH. So, right now I am only throwing RHBH and I am not getting the distance I want quite yet.

Im relearning my technique. I have a right knee issue that really limits the amount of actual power I can get into the throw plus I've got a permanent disability in my back that really limits my hip turn. However, Im a large guy (6'6) so I can get a lot whip on it so that helps.

I voted 300-325. I did however park one today on a 364 ft hole right under the basket. Earlier on in the round I threw it right at 375.

Do many people over-estimate their driving distance? Yes.
Is it as bad as you seem to think it is? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that some people can throw 400+ on flat ground. I don't throw 500+ with any regularity, but I definitely can get 400 with a Teebird or most distance drivers without much problem.

Most people can't throw 400+ feet on flat ground, at least not with any regularity, but I suspect most people know somebody who can. I've seen a local guy throw a disc over 400' to pin high, flatfooted. On Saturday, I played a round with a guy who was throwing a Coyote over 400' dead straight, and making it look easy. He can throw his Eagle over 500', and says he once threw a Boss 720', though that was downhill with a tailwind. Both of these guys have a lot of athletic ability, the latter especially.

This isn't any different than with other sports, where some people can hit golf balls over 300 yards, some can hit tennis serves over 100mph, some can throw baseballs over 80mph, some can kick 40-yard field goals, some can dunk a basketball, some can run the 40-yard dash in under 5 seconds, etc.

My home course rewards placement over raw power, so very few (if any) of the good players can get it out past 400 regularly.
I'm probably limited to around 300 with control.
Some of the young guys here can get it over 400, but usually that just means they hit the trees harder, and more often.

Just came in from doing some field work and I am totally psyched. I've been reading a bunch of pointers here on this forum and watching some U-Tube "how to" vid's and went out and put some of that info into practice. All I can say is WOW!

I went from throwing my econo plasic Shark's and Buzzz 120' - 150' on a good throw before to easily reaching 165' - 175' with consistency. My longest throw with the Buzzz was 70 paces or approx. 210'! :)

i throw as far as it takes for me to birdie the hole or be in line to have a favorable shot. max d does nothing for your game unless you live in the middle of nowhere usa with no trees.

Great. Unfortunately that doesn't answer the question in this thread ;)

ok ok.. if there are no trees right out of the box 400+ is easy for me, id rather throw what gets me a better look though its more controllable 250-300 is the comfort zone for me at the moment. I will know where it is landing 9/10 times.

I know this argument has been discussed into the ground, but here are some contributors to inflated distance

A lot of courses have terrible marked distance so people think, "My home course has a 450' hole that I birdie all the time"
A lot of people haven't actually seen a marked out 400' throw so they don't understand exactly how far it is.
A lot of people use downhills and tailwinds for their "max distance"
A lot of people are liars (maybe unintentionally)

It's like when that one guy who really wants to be tall says he is 6'1, when he's not. But you KNOW you are taller than him, so you are at least 6'2.

I know that I can throw at least 400' on forehand. I have measured it multiple different ways. I have also hit chains on two different holes over 375 feet, both were downhill.

That being said, out of competitive disc golfers, meaning people who do field work and have actively pursued technique and advancement, there are a lot of people who can throw over 400'. But most people who say they can, actually can't.

Latest posts