• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far have you Traveled?

LeftyToss

Bogey Member
I was thinking about how far I've traveled to courses since I started playing this amazing sport. I think I've done 4 different trips of over or about an hour, which I'm sure is nothing.

SO! What's the furthest any of you have traveled to play a course (or multiple). And this doesn't include "Well I went on vacation and there happened to be a disc golf course nearby." :D I'm talking the object of the trip was to play a certain disc golf course.

I have driven 6 hours to play some courses in Southwestern Virginia. Emory and Henry College was well worth the trip. It isn't unusual for my buddies and I to travel 100 to 200 miles in a day to play up to 4 courses in one day.

Ive drivin 3 1/2 hours a couple times to play "Mason County Park" in Ludington and "Flip City".

A couple days after christmas me and my buddy drove 7 hours to play "Orange Crush" and "Seth Burton Memorial" in West Virginia. It was a record high that day (somewhere in the mid to high 70's).

And im about to make a 700+ mile round trip to the Cinci area.

Even longer trips are still to come!

Last edited:
I have only done my Road Trip from the Denver Area, down through Albuquerque, to Flagstaff to Phoenix and then out to Los Angeles trip. I was moving from Denver to LA and decided to take an extra day and play as much disc golf as I could along the way. It was so worth it, especially to be able to say I have played the courses where they held the Memorial this year.

My friends and I do a 1.5- to 2-hour (each way) disc golf trip at least once a month in the summer. Of course, we don't drive that far to play a single course; those are 72-hole days.

Also, the last couple of times I've had to travel down to California, I've gone by road rather than air so I could hit some courses along the way. (The overall cost of flying vs. driving is about the same anyway, it just takes longer to drive.)

southwest VA

I have driven 6 hours to play some courses in Southwestern Virginia. Emory and Henry College was well worth the trip. It isn't unusual for my buddies and I to travel 100 to 200 miles in a day to play up to 4 courses in one day.

I did a big loop from richmond out that way so as to get all the course out that corner this past fall, just to have them add two more to the list now i have to go back at least half way, but i wish emory and henry was closer because that course is one of the better ones in VA.

I once drove from Seattle to North Carolina to play at Laurel Springs, then on to visit the folks in MD, then down to Port Arthur TX for Worlds - that was a long trip :)
Got on a plane and went to Japan - does that count?
Geez, the road trips are too many to count.

Ive drivin 3 1/2 hours a couple times to play "Mason County Park" in Ludington and "Flip City".

A couple days after christmas me and my buddy drove 7 hours to play "Orange Crush" and "Seth Burton Memorial" in West Virginia. It was a record high that day (somewhere in the mid to high 70's).

And im about to make a 700+ mile round trip to the Cinci area.

Even longer trips are still to come!

want to take me along? if i didnt have this thing called work and 3 kids with one more on the way i would be doing the same thing.

My first trip was one of those vacation trips. I was headed to Fort Myers to see my parents and I played 1 course in Kentucky, 3 in Fort Myers, one more in Norther Florida, and 2 more in Chattanooga before arriving back in Milwaukee. That was a lot of miles, but like you said the intent was not to play disc golf only.

I have since taken 3 daylong trips playing 5 courses each time. This past Sunday was my longest . . . 195 miles in total, and the other two trips were about 150-160 miles. I was gone 8 hours on all three trips, and got to play 15 new courses. Well worth the time and fuel even if some of the courses were junk . . . because it has helped me gain Trusted Reviewer Bronze, and I am now only 36 votes from Silver!

Closest 2 courses i have are 45 minutes away......... i play 3 times a week

The 5 hour, 250 mile drive(including a 45 min ferry ride) to Martha's Vineyard is my longest trip to play. Also my worst tournament performance this year. :eek:

I live in Fort Myers, Fl and will make the 2 hour trek north to the Tampa Bay area where you can get in 3 or 4 great courses and still be home for dinner.

My best friend and I did a 2,500 mile, 5 day disc golf road trip a few years ago to get from Dallas to Charlotte and back, hitting courses all along the way, each way. This was before the internet course guides existed, so we had a printed PDGA directory and were just hitting whatever we could find. No Internet guides, no GPS, no cell phones. That's a roadtrip! :) We slept like 2-hours each per night and hit all kinds of courses in about 10 states -- also got in some hiking around Asheville, NC. One of the best trips of my life.

Too many other roadtrips to count, but that was the longest lap just to play disc golf.

That's a tough question to answer. We live in western NY. Last summer we went to Florida for a vacation. But our vacation includes playing disc golf, it's what we do. Sure we went to Disney, but we also played golf too. And this fall we are planning a trip to Amsterdam. Our 2nd trip to Hippy Disneyland. And we want to play disc golf over there, but alas as far as we know there are no disc golf course in Amsterdam. So we are taking a day trip to Rotterdam just play. Next week we are going to the Jersey shore to visit my kids. And of course we are going to play in Jersey too. But as a pure disc golf outing only about an hour's drive.

the late pat murphy(r.i.p.) and i drove from virginia beach, va. to allentown, pa. and back in '96?...4 states in 2 days and played 8? courses...there weren't many more to hit back then..(bayville, killen's pond, lums pond, brandywine, jordan creek, tinicum, calvert, and gillies creek)

4 of us from Ventura Disc Golf drove about an hour and a half to play a monthly in Wrightwood. We lucked out and met a guy who invited us to play a smaller tech private course at a country club after the monthly.

I have driven around 500 miles to Fort Worth for a week of DG. I plan to do it again this summer. usually when I play far from home I am on vacation anyway. I have often driven 90 to 100 miles to play since there is not much DG close to me.

Not far enough. I've only been able to drive 1.5 hours one way to play disc golf and hit up several courses. I hope to take a DG trip sometime, just need to convince the wife.

Last Thursday, my and a buddy drove 85 miles up to St. Cloud and hit all the courses in between that we hadn't played yet, got 9 courses in and my buddy still got back in time for dinner at 6. It was really a lot more than 85 miles of driving to get to all the courses, not including to get back home though.