• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is enough?

How much D?

• 250'

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 300'

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • 350'

Votes: 71 32.6%
  • 400'

Votes: 68 31.2%
  • 450'

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • 500+'

Votes: 19 8.7%

• Total voters
He's obviously had a lot of time to hammer out his strategy in tournaments. Vista has a lot of OB, especially during the Memorial, right? I imagine a 300'-350' lay up with a Roc or Eagle or w/e is a fairly standard play in a lot of situations there. I'm sure he knows his make percentages! Obviously he can bomb though.

The specific holes I'm thinking of had little to no danger.

KC throws farther than most think. At one point in the mid 90's he owned the Florida distance record at 550ish. I've seen him get 500 ft. in the open field. I watched him throw a 415 ft. line drive into wind, over water in a Players Cup round at the Red Hawk. He parked hole #1 on the regular Pine Oaks course with a roller at 600 ft en route to winning the NT.

His game is very much about control and most of his drives he doesn't throw with 100% power.

Yes, that's exactly what I have heard, read, and meant. I am sure he could throw over 400' when he wanted to, but the times he needed to competitively were few and far between from what I heard. And the stories about him putting rollers to within 60' feet of baskets on left turns, right turns, straightaways, etc., sometimes from 500+ feet out are simply amazing to me. I've heard at least five veterans talk about it. The story that Stokely told about the hole where he knew he was about to take a late-round lead on Climo because Climo didn't have a forehand simply blows my mind. It is ashame there weren't the kinds of video highlights then that exist today.

I think a consistent 400 feet of distance is all that is needed to be competitive in advanced. Like others have said though, I think accuracy and putting is more important in placing high consistently. I know there is a lot of hype about discing down, but I think it serves a dual purpose. If you go play a bunch of rounds with mids and putters you form will probably get cleaned up, but at the same time you are getting numerous throws in with your shorter discs. Mastering your short game will save more strokes than an extra 30-50 feet of distance. Not to mention when it's all on the line in a tournament and you have to make a shot under pressure, do you think that's more than likely going to be a tee shot or a putt? Wouldn't it make sense to have the most pressure packed part of the game to be your strongest?

On most courses 350' with good accuracy will make you very competitive.
But to compete at the highest level I would think 450' is a must.

Just look at the difference in scores between fpo and mpo when playing the same layout. Both are accurate, both can putt, the difference is mpo can put themselves closer on every throw.

The day i hit 300' with a mid is the day I am satisfied. Now that doesnt mean i wont keep trying to get more distance cause who knows someday courses may all have a 1000'+ hole in the layout!

ive noticed 300-350 will cover most of what you need

The day i hit 300' with a mid is the day I am satisfied. Now that doesnt mean i wont keep trying to get more distance cause who knows someday courses may all have a 1000'+ hole in the layout!

Harry Myers in Rockwall, TX has a 888' hole 17 from the blue tees.

Renny in Charlotte. Gold Course has a 1012' hole (or something like that). Want to feel weak? Just play that hole on a Carolina summer day. :wall:

There's a lot left up for interpretation in the OP.

I put 350' becasue it's a number that most adult males can hit without having to figure out timing too well.

Old Settlers park in Round Rock has two over 1k...#4 @ 1053' par 5 and #17 @ 1003' par 5. Its been around a good long while, too. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=541&mode=hi

Myself, I'm happy with 300'... or will be once again upon coming back from a 3rd shoulder injury. I am too beat up to worry about competing on bombing runs. I prefer to reel in the young guns on the short game, which I invariably do unless I am hitting trees again.:wall:

Accuracy is the key to everything. Doesn't do a bit of good to be able to hit 500' plus if you can't finish it off.....like a couple we have played with here. Sure they can hit the 400+ mark, but they can't finish. That is when us old gummers catch up to them and pass them. :thmbup: Tortoise and the hare type deal.

I put 500' because that's where I'd like to be. I have 3 holes in mind on a local course that really need that kind of D for a chance at a bird. From the blue tees at least.

Will I ever get there? Probably not. But it would be helpful. Not even over 500, just right at 500 would be good enough.

I wanna say 400' range but if you can bomb it out 500+ft, 400ft holes look a lot easier and with courses getting longer, theres an increase in longer holes. With all the new high speed drivers that came and still coming out, 400ft. is going to be the new 300 and 500 is going to be the old 400 that is actually impressive to see.

well its all about accuracy and form. when you get that down then you are good to go. cuz if you can throw 450 but in the completely wrong direction its worthless..

Old Settlers park in Round Rock has two over 1k...#4 @ 1053' par 5 and #17 @ 1003' par 5. Its been around a good long while, too. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=541&mode=hi

Myself, I'm happy with 300'... or will be once again upon coming back from a 3rd shoulder injury. I am too beat up to worry about competing on bombing runs. I prefer to reel in the young guns on the short game, which I invariably do unless I am hitting trees again.:wall:

Accuracy is the key to everything. Doesn't do a bit of good to be able to hit 500' plus if you can't finish it off.....like a couple we have played with here. Sure they can hit the 400+ mark, but they can't finish. That is when us old gummers catch up to them and pass them. :thmbup: Tortoise and the hare type deal.
I took a five on hole 4 at Texas Women's, I was happy because they had it roped off OB all the way. :thmbup:

I took a five on hole 4 at Texas Women's, I was happy because they had it roped off OB all the way. :thmbup:

Those holes just make my shoulder ache...and that is just thinking about it.:( Never played them yet....and may never. Distance is not my thing anymore.;)

It's fun to throw for distance, so I'll probably always want to throw farther. That said, 400' of Accurate distance will take you a long way if your short game can keep up.

around here 350' is plenty assuming you are accurate and have a decent upshot/ putting skills for those few longer holes