• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far should I be throwing???

ETXdiscguy

Went out to the soccer fields today to throw my elite-z buzz, and my x-stratus. I was consistently throwing the buzzz between 180-200 feet. With the other I was throwing about 210-225 with one going for 275 (no idea how I did that one!). I am a true beginner, but practicing hard to progress my game. I'm doing a rhbh throw, standing still. I can't do a run up yet without it going crazy. Are these distances about normal for a beginner?

Stop thinking of it as a "run up", and turn it into a walk up. Until you're really, REALLY proficient in the rest of your mechanics, the walk up should be much more of a timing mechanism than a power generating mechanism.

It's all rotation to get speed to the disc, so moving your body forward quickly is not the way to generate speed. It's good that you are practicing from stand still to get used to things.

Disc flight is just as important as distance. The Buzzz should be nearly straight without all that much fade.

Once you are throwing it 250' from stand still you should have quite a few things going for you. With proper snap it is pretty reasonable to get a straight flight with medium effort to around 300' from stand still. It can definitely be thrown further than that too. The main thing is that it shouldn't be an overpowered throw...but smooth.

Check out the blog at heavydisc.com and click on the form crash course. He also posts on DGCR as HyzerUniBomber. HUB will get you going in the right direction.

Definitely check out HUB's site listed above, spend an infinite amount of time reading, taking notes, gathering tidbits of info, then take your notes to the field with you, review/throw/review/throw etc. Start slow with form, distance will take care of itself. I'm throwing my buzzz around 300 now on a marked and measured driving range, but when I started I had the hardest time getting to 200-250 until I stopped trying to THROW it that far, and let the disc FLY that far.

Went out to the soccer fields today to throw my elite-z buzz, and my x-stratus. I was consistently throwing the buzzz between 180-200 feet. With the other I was throwing about 210-225 with one going for 275 (no idea how I did that one!). I am a true beginner, but practicing hard to progress my game. I'm doing a rhbh throw, standing still. I can't do a run up yet without it going crazy. Are these distances about normal for a beginner?

Well...I'll chime in. For a 100% beginner you're doing very good. Throwing a buzz 200ft is actually good enough to get you out on the course and get some pars. Most advanced players will throw a buzz anywhere from 250-300ft on a golf line. Which means it's a controlled shot. Pros routinely throw buzz or other mid ranges around 350. Like others have said, take your time moving to an x-step. Keep practicing that stand still, that will really help your game because ultimately you're working on your up shots and if you can get a very accurate 200ft upshot, that's a huge advantage. Take your time moving to an x-step, keep practicing that stand still, perhaps work on a 1 step and throw next. Here's a couple of vids worth watching. Will's stand still approach shots are ideal to learn. His transfer of weight is what you want. The 2nd vid with Paul McBeth is great because it shows how slow and smooth he is throwing. Slow is..key...to learning form. ;)

Take the word "should" out of your mindset. Continue to improve your technique and your distance "should" increase.

IMHO you are throwing 2 great discs for practice as well as playing. Either of those discs could be good choices for 1 disc rounds.

I think this vid by Doss covers some excellent points, particularly the second one...