• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Far Will You Go For Your Disc?

I have a backup of pretty much everything I throw, but I'll still go to great lengths to get a disc back. I don't at all want to get in nasty murky water so bought a disc diver. It basically pays for itself once you get two discs back. http://www.discdiver.com/

Yeah, I've seen those, but it doesn't really help if you can't see the disc because of depth or murkiness.

I have been all through the "water" at #3 Hornets Nest to find lost disc. Anyone that plays the course will understand the degree of nasty that this is

I have gone in to the pond in Pullman, WA. where a fun family or leaches resides.....more then once. Not sure though if it was worth it.:(

I've gone neck deep at the lake in Codorus on Red #4 or 5 I think to get my ESP Pulse. It was really hot and felt so good, but I had to finish the round commando and a bit wet. Theres no swimming allowed either but nobody yelled at me.
I've also climbed a tree up 40' at Codorus on Blue #5 to get my Star Firebird.

I'm too large to actually climb a tree, but I threw a baseball up in a tree for 45 minutes until I finally hit my disc and knocked it down. I'm sure I'm not the only person who carries a baseball in his truck in case of such an event.

When gas was $4.00 per gallon I drove 60 miles (one way) and spent an hour re-searching a field that I had already spent an hour searching and found my favorite CFR Destroyer. The Boss came out a week later and I shelved the destroyer. If I had known the Bosses would be so good I would have saved the gas money and used it to buy more Bosses.
Great story (well maybe not so great for you). I hate when that happens!

I spent a half hour walking around in a pond at Old Farm Park (Hole #17) barefoot trying to find my Star TL. It was a balmy 40 degree October morning. You couldn't see the bottom of the pond so the only way I could search was to drag my feet over some of the sharpest rocks you can imagine. I had to get out every 5 minutes or so to regain the feeling in my legs. After stubbed toes and lots of cursing I finally found a disc after about 30 minutes. I lept for joy and ran out of the pond only to discover I'd found someone's piece of **** 150g DX Valk. Oh man I was pissed.

The moral of the story: Don't throw your disc as far as you can when there's a freaking pond 15 feet behind the basket. I've lost two discs on that hole now... if it happens again I'm going to come back with a bulldozer and dump truck and fill the pond in. I'll do it... I'm crazy.
Put the dozer down & step back sir!

I have been all through the "water" at #3 Hornets Nest to find lost disc. Anyone that plays the course will understand the degree of nasty that this is
I know someone who does understand:
P1010078.jpg
"]
P1010078.jpg

WoW that looks like last year around usdgc time. I took a swim around then also. The water looks a lot more gross when it isnt as high though.

Two words...sacrificial discs. I have rescued more than a few with my Golden Retriever, but its not a panacea.

Part of the problem with going into the water around here is that so many of the ponds have God knows what in them. Reeds, sharp rocks, broken glass. I'm not going to risk tetanus for a disc that I already have backups of. I might consider getting in more if I had a pair of waders and a rake or net.

Yeah I used to pull my shoes off to go in water but then I cut my foot. Now if I go in I leave my shoes on. They get wet but who cares.

I would really have to see how much I like that disc, and how bad the water is. That is one reason, I carry "Trash" discs with me, and throw them near hazards. If I loose them, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

Now, if the woods, I cut it off at a half hour for a search. It would have to be a really nice disc for me to search longer than that.

I spent a half hour walking around in a pond at Old Farm Park (Hole #17) barefoot trying to find my Star TL. It was a balmy 40 degree October morning. You couldn't see the bottom of the pond so the only way I could search was to drag my feet over some of the sharpest rocks you can imagine. I had to get out every 5 minutes or so to regain the feeling in my legs. After stubbed toes and lots of cursing I finally found a disc after about 30 minutes. I lept for joy and ran out of the pond only to discover I'd found someone's piece of **** 150g DX Valk. Oh man I was pissed.

The moral of the story: Don't throw your disc as far as you can when there's a freaking pond 15 feet behind the basket. I've lost two discs on that hole now... if it happens again I'm going to come back with a bulldozer and dump truck and fill the pond in. I'll do it... I'm crazy.

I would have kept looking for that Star TL. That is the disc I went murkey pond diving for yesterday.

I've gone waist deep over knotty tree roots in what I like to call goose-**** pond looking for a disc, risking snake bite and Illinois colon-slugs. I've spent over an hour looking in fields of tall grass. I climbed down a precipitous mound of fallen trees and branches (the beaver dam at endicott) risking a broken ankle to find a dx archangel. It makes me sick to leave a disc behind. But I have. If I'm playing with others, I'll look 20 minutes. Alone, up to an hour.

I doubt I would go after a disc in gator territory though.

I've spent an hour searching through thick leaf coverage at Southern Village this week, looking for my lost beloved Champion Boss (my workhorse driver of choice)... I'd still be out there looking had my wife not called pissed off about me not being home for dinner on time, lol!

I can actually see my disc in the middle of a swamp near my house, but I am NOT going in that thing without a suit of armor on. That swamp is nasty!!!!

Anyone who has climbed one of the Cedar trees at Keriakas in BG is dedicated.....or crazy. And they LOVE to EAT discs!!! Afterwards, you can be so covered in tree sap that a disc will literally stick to your hand. Small price to pay, I guess???