• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How fast (in mph) do discs travel?

they have done radar guns/speed tests at Vibram before and the fastest people were throwing was just getting into the 70s

I like the fact that Vibram's discs include a flight chart on the back that tells yo what will happen if you throw it at XX mph

$(KGrHqZ,!ogFBvNMg+h6BQks(!UKog~~60_57.JPG

So a Sole will go over 300' if pitched at 50 mph!!!

I thought I saw that some overhand shots had been clocked at 80+, but I don't remember where I saw that. You don't get the same spin, but it seems possible that you could get a little faster release speed right out of the hand with that.
That's believable because you can get much more leverage with a FH grip and an overhand throw. The spin rate will suffer though and probably your body. I still don't think 100mph will ever get hit, because of the swing weight of a disc vs a baseball.

Robbie Bratten threw 134km/hr if i remember correctly. I am 100% sure he tied the record of 133km/hr though. Basically 82.5mph

Seems to me if you can throw a baseball near 100 mph, a disc shouldn't be too far off. I did a distance and accuracy tourney in MS in '79 or so[I was 20], and they radar-gunned our drives, and I had 63 mph with a 165gm lid.
'Course, it started slowing down as soon as it left my hand. Wind was the Great Equalizer for distance back then.

100mph is probably only going to happen with a baseball type throw....aka tomahawk

Speeds are usually measured at the release, and the discs gradually lose velocity as they fly.

Most people that throw 350-400 release at about 50-55mph. The guys with bigger arms that throw 500+ usually have release speeds of 70-75mph.

I think i disagree with the top statement. A disc doesnt immediately start slowing down. I think it is still accelerating for a little ways out of your hand.

Now this could lead to a whole other thread but how many rotations per second does the average person get on the disc on release? I wonder what the absolute best ratio of spin vs speed is to produce the most distance.

This is touching on a Speed vs Spin thread I started back in 2009 when I first started on DGCR.

I like the fact that Vibram's discs include a flight chart on the back that tells yo what will happen if you throw it at XX mph

Agreed, beats Innova's arbitrary "speed" scale.

Last edited:
I think i disagree with the top statement. A disc doesnt immediately start slowing down. I think it is still accelerating for a little ways out of your hand.
It begins to slow from the release, unless you throw with pixie dust, or put an Acme rocket on the disc.

I thought I saw that some overhand shots had been clocked at 80+, but I don't remember where I saw that. You don't get the same spin, but it seems possible that you could get a little faster release speed right out of the hand with that.

You SHOULD actually get more spin from an OH throw, which is why the disc barrel rolls the way it does.

And I believe I must be the Jamie Moyer of DG. :|

the disc (mass) reacts to the forces being applied to it (F). acceleration occurs as you apply force until the moment of release. at that exact point, your accelerating force stops, and the decelerating force of the air (friction) start to slow it.
highschool physics, man.

....wait, were you trolling?

the disc (mass) reacts to the forces being applied to it (F). acceleration occurs as you apply force until the moment of release. at that exact point, your accelerating force stops, and the decelerating force of the air (friction) start to slow it.
highschool physics, man.

....wait, were you trolling?

With blizzard gyro eaay release technology, idk how it wouldnt just indefinately increase in speed.

Can I be the Daniel Cabrera of Disc Golf? (Scouts Inc. Report: displaying tremendous potential for success, Cabrera is sometimes chastised for his perceived lack of overall inconsistency.)

You SHOULD actually get more spin from an OH throw, which is why the disc barrel rolls the way it does.

And I believe I must be the Jamie Moyer of DG. :|

I disagree, I think the backhand throw maximizes spin while an OH or FH gets more speed but less spin. That's why you see more lateral movement on both of those types of shots, spin tends to keep a disc straight while a higher ratio of speed to spin causes more turn and more fade.

Well a bullet continues to accelerate after it has left the barrel of a gun. A car continues to accerlate after you let off the gas. Milk continues to heat up after you turn the steam off. Dont quote me on this but i believe newtons laws of motion tell us that an object will continue to accelerate even after an applied force has been taken away. Im not sure if it was newton that proved it but it doesnt matter we can see this phenomena in our everyday lives and it definatly applies to a disc.

Ok i just checked myself and i may have spoken to soon. it looks like im wrong i guess. I think that may only apply in a vaccum. I remember being taught something like what i said and i know that the three examples i gave are true. i just cant find the law of physics that backs me up. Im still not convinced but i guess we need a physicist to chime in on this topic.

Latest posts