• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How flippy is your US Putter and how do you use it?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Do you bag a flippy putter? What lines and shot types do you grab the flippy one versus a straight/slight fade putter?

I putt and approach with P2s and a Berg. P2 is straight with fade, Berg is straight straight. I hadn't thrown the Deputy for a while and pulled it out today. Dang that's flippy! Don't know how I could even use it.

CryZtal Fierce....soft high anhyzers that slowly pans right.

I use it every round....it´s not as flippy as the Deputy, Mirage, Tui or KonTiki ..

I see many people try to use a US putter but then they throw it like a max D Driver

I love to throw US disc soft and give them some hight. . .and it´s fun to throw them a little harder on a hyzer and make ot flipp up and end right

Can ad that i DO think you need a US putter for those short soft anhyzers. . .a faster US disc just don´t work, a US mid is not that US if you throw it 100ft.

My most used throw for my US putter is if i´m in the woods to the right and have a tight fairway and i´m 100-150ft from the basket . . if i throw a stable disc that will just start to turn left way to early - - -i even see top pros mess up this shot because they dont bag a US putter

I bag a beat in Firm Electron Anode. I wouldn't call it "flippy" but on a moderate throw, thrown flat, it now drifts right the whole way. I throw it often on hyzer flip to straight lines or panning annys. It's a super useful disc.

Do you bag a flippy putter? What lines and shot types do you grab the flippy one versus a straight/slight fade putter?

I putt and approach with P2s and a Berg. P2 is straight with fade, Berg is straight straight. I hadn't thrown the Deputy for a while and pulled it out today. Dang that's flippy! Don't know how I could even use it.
The shot needs to be really short for me to break out the Deputy. I have a Keystone because I can count on it to gradually turn over, and it won't finish much if any harder to the left than a Deputy. I have the Deputy in my bag for putting and for approaching inside 100-125 almost exclusively. It was my flippy approach disc until the Keystone came out, but even before that I was mulling other options. It just had a tendency to be too easy to overturn slightly and finish short getting a bit of annoying ground action. Keystone gets to the pin much easier on a snap that feels comfortable for me.

I have a super beat KC Aviar and super beat DX Roc for this shot. Mids can 100% be used for short and soft anhyzers, the disc just needs to be US enough. They rarely get used by myself, maybe a shot or two a year off the tee but routinely used for upshots, high turning backhands when I need the disc to go right and not come back (RHBH) and high floating forehand shots that need a line shaped. Both of these discs are auto-roller flippy, meaning that you can throw them on a normal line and they are understable enough to roll without having to contort your body. Neither ever get used for rollers though. 99% of the time they are used from 150' and in and even then I usually dont use these super flippy discs, usually Ill opt for a more neutral disc.

I'm slowly building up a forehand, but an insanely flippy putter is always a staple in my bag. I love Star Mirages and ESP Zeppelin/Top Line Habit.

Low effort flat release turnovers inside 150 feet or even sometimes 100 feet. Little get out of jail patent pending turnovers, and even some forehand rollers that need to flip over right away. They cover some much needed lines.

I live at 5,000' of elevation, and always carry a Star Mirage for all the reasons autocrosscrx stated.

When playing further up in the Mountains, it becomes a must.

Hard Swan2s

I use them as a utility disc. My primary putter is BB Aviars. I've picked up some Neutron Envys for driving putters and really like them. But won't change my putting putters.

The Swan2s I use for straight wooded shots (Hyzer flip)
Short turnovers
Forehands. Again hyzer flip. I use this for short basket runs.

The utility aspect comes in if I'm pinned against a tree (or obstruction) and need a RHBH hyzer but can't execute because of the obstruction.

So I FH the Swan (big high reach out) and get a RHBH hyzer type of flight.

I use a pretty old 300 PA1 as my understable putter backhand for hyzerflips that need to turn over late in the 280 range. I hardly ever use this at the courses I play just because they courses are too short. But I also use a Pro-D Zone for forehands that I want to throw softly and flip over late and finish left for my RHFH. It is also very useful for my flip-up to straight finish forehands in the 260 range. Over 260 it is hard to control because I don't need to throw it like that often.

These are my go to upshot discs if I cannot use my overstable or straight putters.

I bag a beat electron Envy for pretty much the reasons mentioned in post #3.

Those get-out-of-jail shots where I'm forced to throw a forehand but it has to finish left are way less sketchy with a flippy putter.

My favorite shot with it is a powered down straight shot that just goes dead straight. If I really want to run the basket on a 100-200' shot I just throw the Envy straight at it.

I bag a beat in Firm Electron Anode. I wouldn't call it "flippy" but on a moderate throw, thrown flat, it now drifts right the whole way. I throw it often on hyzer flip to straight lines or panning annys. It's a super useful disc.

I do the same thing with pw Magics, they get used a lot in the woods.

I use Swan2s in Medium and Soft as my main putters and keep a Megasoft as an approach disc for uneven hillsides, long runs at the basket and sometimes hyzerflip to turnover shots.

Even have one ace on a 220ft hole with it!

What is a flippy putter? I have beaten super soft warden that turns if I power it, but I use it just to hit and sit. It just lands like a floppy pancake. I love it. It's maybe rolled on me three times in the past year.

I use a beaten Neutron Proxy for straight to gentle turn to the right shots. I'd love to get an Electron Proxy to the same state as I like the grip better.

I'm learning to live with a Theory for slightly longer version of the same gentle turn to the right shot. It can't be overpowered. It's pretty much the same disc as a Svea, Fuse, Piwakawaka, (insert here) .. but I like the feel in the hand better.

I just received a new R2 Spin today. Feels "odd", but will see how it goes.

Everyone pretty much covered it except:

Certain hyzers with mild or no fade. People underestimate throwing hyzers with understable discs FAR too often, be it putter or not. I hyzer the crap out of my Roadrunners...

Yes, very useful shot. .. Simon did a video about this that opened my eyes to that shot.

If you have a slow turning to the left fairway that ends straight. . .and throw a OS disc that disc WILL end up in the woods to the left ..it will just keep the hyzer all the way.
But if you throw an US putter on a Hyzer that disc will turn left and then flatten out at land flat in the fairway.

Latest posts