• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How flippy is your US Putter and how do you use it?

I don't bag one.

Ok, that's a lie.

I have an Atom that is my most understable Envy.

I've never thrown it in combat.

Wait, that's also a lie.

I threw it once. For obstruction reasons, I needed a FH on a hillside that wouldn't fade (or else it would fall down the hill). Debated between the Hex I'd been using on FH over and over and over on that course (Wondervu in Golden CO) and the Atom. Threw the Atom.

It definitely finished left.

Won't be throwing it again real soon; should have thrown the Hex. The difference wasn't huge--I had a 45' tough putt with the Atom that I caged, and a 35' with the Hex that was incrementally more easy. You get the idea.

Throw what you know. If you have an understable you trust, throw it. I don't.

Addendum: I am keeping that Atom in the bag, for reasons. Just feels right to have it...it's like that minor leaguer you think is going to have a breakout month any time now.

plus that art...

iu

Last edited:
I putt and throw Classic Aviars, so I just pick one from the stash that is really beat and throw it in the bag. They are like a slow Roadrunner, and I like using them for relatively short shots on wooded courses. Hyzerflips, step out shots, touchy shots, awkward lies, floating/glidey runs at the basket. Like an ultimate disc, if I can forehand it cleanly while warming up then it translates to better forehand throws with other discs during a round.

Plastic Addict Habit

I use a Habit as my under stable putter and sometimes mid - it goes far!

I putt with Wizards and throw them too.
Very straight with a reliable fade when thrown.

I approach with a pro pig- mostly forehand.

The Habit is a large diameter putter that holds a line and is good for patent pending Annie's, long green light runs, awkward stances.

My least stable Mid is a Comet- I use the Habit when I need something to really go right more than my Comet, which it does if thrown hard.
If thrown smoothly at 50% it just holds a line without fading or turning.

My brother throws a Fierce which flies even less stable and I would call floppy but has a bit less glide and can't be really thrown hard (at least by me) for fear of it cutrolling.

The Habit is a great disc and super fun to throw- it produces lots of 'oooos and aaahhhhhs' from cardmates :). I had to buy a backup just in case I lose it- though I almost never lose putters.

Flippy "putter"? That would be all those actual Frisbees I lug around that go wherever they feel like going (usually way off to the right if not vertical and rolling) when I attempt to throw them :| :rolleyes: :p

Flippy putter is maybe my favorite slot in my bag, I like them for jump putts, short drives in the woods, all around approaches and rips when I have a ceiling and tailwind. Sadly I've lost a decent amount of them over the last year or two so it has been a revolving door of having one that stays. Currently I have a Glow Warlock that has been thrashed from playing can jam on concrete and it surprisingly is not super flippy yet.

I like a good understable putter. I swap back and forth from a spin and whitler. The Whitler is more fun but difficult.. spin is more functional haha, I can drive it pretty far on a hyzer to flat flip, or a slow anhyzer. Picked up a 174 R2 Spin recently instead of my usual 167 protons. The extra weight keeps it straighter but it still turns out of the box. Neutron seems to give it a little more glide, probably why protons are oop

I can drive it at least 200' with no fear of burning it, it's cool that it turns so easily without taking a dive.

I find it really good for shorter anny, or short straight low power go for it (but not too hard) putts. It's nice for a zero fade drive as well, just let it out on a hyzer and let it ride straight down UFO style. The long gentle anhyzer downhill is a nice shot too. I also find it helpful putting tonals if I'm going from baskets last round... and of course Upshots

I like a good understable putter. I swap back and forth from a spin and whitler. The Whitler is more fun but difficult.. spin is more functional haha, I can drive it pretty far on a hyzer to flat flip, or a slow anhyzer. Picked up a 174 R2 Spin recently instead of my usual 167 protons. The extra weight keeps it straighter but it still turns out of the box. Neutron seems to give it a little more glide, probably why protons are oop

I can drive it at least 200' with no fear of burning it, it's cool that it turns so easily without taking a dive.

I find it really good for shorter anny, or short straight low power go for it (but not too hard) putts. It's nice for a zero fade drive as well, just let it out on a hyzer and let it ride straight down UFO style. The long gentle anhyzer downhill is a nice shot too. I also find it helpful putting tonals if I'm going from baskets last round... and of course Upshots

I bagged a Spin for a while. Neutron. It was touchy, but functional. Ultimately I did not like the rounded feel where the underside top plate meets the wing. Threw it on my neighbors roof a few times when hyzer wasnt enough.

I bagged a Spin for a while. Neutron. It was touchy, but functional. Ultimately I did not like the rounded feel where the underside top plate meets the wing. Threw it on my neighbors roof a few times when hyzer wasnt enough.

Haha yeah, I find it less finicky than a real broken in electron envy but that's because I expect the turn more... and I have a stack of protons for the extra stability. I thought an electron spin might be cool 174g, too touchy. I found the trick is to give it more hyzer than I think it needs, and a touch of nose up, it fades so gently it usually works out.

I have a 20 year old beat to heck DX Aviar that helps get me out of woods, or around any obstacle between me and the basket. Overhead forearm annhyzer around an obstacle and it will finish flat. Give it some more spin and you can get a "mini" S flight out of it.

I have a 20 year old beat to heck DX Aviar that helps get me out of woods, or around any obstacle between me and the basket. Overhead forearm annhyzer around an obstacle and it will finish flat. Give it some more spin and you can get a "mini" S flight out of it.

this is the quintessential flippy putter throw imo. Very similar to an ultimate FH around a defender.

Fusion Deputy 173g. It's been in the stash for quite a while and I pulled it out the other day to mess around. From my O.P. … I'm not trying to cover shots, but asking to those of you who bag a flippy putter, what shots it covers for you.

When I throw it straight in the field, like I would the Berg or P2, those discs go straight and this Deputy is a cut roller.

You might have a freakishly understable Deputy? I bag a Lucid Deputy (it replaced a Fuzion because I prefer the grip when I'm sweaty). It's easy to turn over, but it isn't even close to cut-roller flippy. I have a seasoned Classic Blend Deputy that I break out if I'm really in trouble. Even that can be thrown on a Kevin Jones kind of hyzer angle and probably gets close to 275' for me.

To answer the original question, I use my Lucid Deputy for straight shots that I cannot afford to have any fade on them. A course I used to play had some ridiculously tight fairways and some short holes, so I found myself driving with it on 4 or 5 holes. Either hyzer to straight or straight turnovers. Sometimes approaches on a steep hyzer to keep it floating left.

Latest posts