• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How good is good in putting

attik34

Birdie Member
Just had a thought, i have no clue how good "Good" really is at putting.

I know I personally am getting super frustrated with myself and my goal is to practice so much that I'm incapable of missing anything inside 20ft. Obviously thats a good thing to work towards, but what are other benchmarks people set for themselves.

Also...what do putting percentages look like at each level of competition?

Lets say...like this

Pro Am Intermediate Rec

15'

20'

30'

40'

In your eyes what percentages do you put into this chart...

I know I'm going to get all the "just practice and get better than what you are" and that isn't what I'm looking for. I know this, I know I need to gauge how I'm improving off of me. I'm looking for what others have done as far as goals they have set, and what they expect from themselves as far as performance.

For me...I expect to make almost all my 15's...more than half 20's...and consider anything past like...25 luck....and yes...my putting is terrible and i've started the daily mark ellis thing...>.>

also where this came from...watching youtube videos of pro's drilling 80 footers all day long >.>....qq...

Pros dont make 80 footers consistently. I think your perception of distance is a bit off, which is easy to do in a video.

I'd say most pros are looking at 80-85ish% within 40 feet. Anything in the circle, they're going to be unhappy if they miss.

I could totally be wrong, but this is just based off of the pros I've seen play.

The correct answer is, "Never Good Enough". Apparently.

If you have 90 people at a tournament in 8 divisions, you'll have 82 people blaming their loss on their missed putts.

6 of the 8 winners will say they won in spite of their bad putting.

Here are some figures I was able to calculate by throwing random darts at a dartboard ;)

Pros need to make 100% of shots inside 10 m. 80% 10m to 20m.

ADV make about 90% inside 10m. 50% 10m to 20m.

INT makes about 80% inside 10m. 25% 10m to 20m.

^^ seems a little high but pretty much right on.

From ken climo's site: 100% @15' 80%@20' more than half @25' 50%@30' and anything over 30' is a bonus for anyone. Pros and ams

Open players 98% inside 10m (2% for spit outs)
Advanced players: 88% inside 10m (10% for error, 2% for spit outs)
Intermediate players: 75% inside 10m (23% for error, 2% for spit outs)

Cam Todd was credited with putting on one of the greatest putting display on record after the 2001 worlds. He was described as " routinely draining everything inside 50' " That tells me that even the very top pros don't routinely make all their 50' putts.

You need to understand that youtube highlight reels do not equal real life results. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour watching this.

These are 4 of the best young discgolfers on the planet. How many putts outside of the circle did you see them make?

Having unrealistic goals is one sure fire way to keep you from enjoying the game. Not enjoying the game leads to frustration and burnout. Work on your 20'ers. You can make them all. Build upon that until it becomes 25', or even 30'. You can make those too.

Good luck!

You need to understand that youtube highlight reels do not equal real life results. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour watching this.

These are 4 of the best young discgolfers on the planet. How many putts outside of the circle did you see them make?

Having unrealistic goals is one sure fire way to keep you from enjoying the game. Not enjoying the game leads to frustration and burnout. Work on your 20'ers. You can make them all. Build upon that until it becomes 25', or even 30'. You can make those too.

Good luck!

I only watched the 1st 10min. Good video, but keep in mind that looked pretty windy. When the wind kicks up, expectations go down.

Didn't the PDGA have something published that was like a guideline for what division to play in tournaments? IIRC it included amount of time playing, some typical throwing distances and some putting numbers exactly like you're looking for. I tried searching their site but couldn't find anything, hopefully I'm not crazy and someone else remembers that :D

I'm really bad at midrange but I can putt good for my experience and drive a little below average for my experience. It's great because I need to make those putts to keep up with others. I am working on drives and midrange shots now.

I think it is with the piece of paper that comes when you sign up for a number, could be wrong, but I also remember seeing something similar.

From ken climo's site: 100% @15' 80%@20' more than half @25' 50%@30' and anything over 30' is a bonus for anyone. Pros and ams

Those are good to start. They seem low to me though.

The PGA Tour keeps track of make % from various distances. I think the OP is just asking for a similar thing, but broken down by levels.

I hope people can fill in the chart. Educated guessing here, but maybe you can copy and paste this and make changes:

Code:
Distance |  Pro     Am      Int.    Rec
----------------------------------------
15'      |  100%    95%     90%     80%
         |
20'      |   95%    90%     80%     70%
         |
30'      |   85%    80%     70%     50%
         |
40'      |   70%    75%     50%     25%

Use this chart (wrapped in "CODE" BB tags) and say what you think the numbers should be.

Last edited:
Here's my take:

Code:
Distance |  Pro     Am      Int.    Rec
----------------------------------------
15'      |   98%    90%     75%     60%
         |
20'      |   90%    80%     70%     50%
         |
30'      |   60%    30%     15%     10%
         |
40'      |   30%    20%     10%      2%

This assumes a light to moderate breeze, say 5-10 MPH, kind of like what they have out in the real world.

Can't give the pros 100% on 15-footers, because I've seen 'em miss from closer. In fact, I just saw the SNPC finals video and Matt Orum (1031 rating) started the finals by missing a 12-footer.

Latest posts