• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How important is consistent putter weights?

callsignraven

First off, I want to say hello from here in central Arkansas, and thanks for all the information on here I have already shared.

My mother-in-law purchased a practice basket for me this holiday season, and I am now looking to spend about 30 minutes a day practicing putting (like I saw in an online clinic). My question to you guys here is, how much does consistent putter weight really matter? I purchased all of my starting discs from the discraft factory sale, and I am looking at picking up a 5 pack of misprint soft magnet putters (random weights) for $20.

Is purchasing a grab bag of different weights a bad idea? I just want to have some extra putters so I can throw more than once before walking back to the basket, and this looks like a decent way to purchase a bunch without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

If they are within a few grams its one thing but best advice is to get putters which are as similar as possible to your putters in the bag.

Practice in general will help. Id say go for the misprint deal and maybe you will even find a weight which works best for you. Can always get more of those exact putters if you really like them.

Some players use 170g+ inside the circle putting and 160g+ or even lighter for longer putts. Similar to carrying a beat up vs fresh version of a putter.

Sounds like a GREAT mother-in-law!
Even better idea - I live in central AR, too, & I have several putters in the weight ranges of 150 to 176, or so. PM me & we can meet at a course. You can try out a bunch of stuff, multiple molds & weights, maybe even zero in on something specific (and maybe even trade for something). I have 3 of the Swan 2, all 174-175g that I am currently favoring & can tell you weights matter. It would be nice to have at least 5 of the exact same putter!
You can try Innova, Trilogy, Discraft, Vibram, DGA, MVP, & Gateway. I have not tried Discmania or Legacy yet.

Disc golf center or hyzer farm (ebay) will probably have 5 or more of the soft magnets same weight at rock bottom pricing. Might not be all the same color or stamp but same mold and weight and not x outs.

You can probably ask them to give you 5 putters of the same weight...
I often ask for a specific colored disc with innova factory store (normally you can't choose the color) and they have always be nice to give me the good color.

I like to putt with heavy putters, because they are less affected by the wind, 170 grams is a minimal for me. But for practice, I think you can use different weight, because you just practice the muscle memory.

I probably should have mentioned that I have tried quite a few putters so far (wizard, dart, challenger, judge, judge soft, soft magnet, and warden). I really like the texture of the classic soft judge and the bead on the soft magnet so they are tied for my favorite putter currently.

I have not tried a ton of weights, and I was planning on requesting if all the putters could be the same weight on the notes section, but I don't know if they will help me out with that or not.

I did take a look at purchasing discs that I know the weight on (infinite discs and disc golf center) and it looks like I could about 2 discs with the weight and color I want instead of the 5 misprints.

I don't know if this will change the answer on how much weights matter, but I am currently spin putting. I have been trying push putting some, but it's going to be a long time before I am decent at it.

If you're insistent on getting the putters all the same, getting them all from the same run would be the way to go. That might be hard to pull off from a retailer unless you have them special order them from the manufacturer.

If you're not that persnickety, I wouldn't worry about weight differences of up to a couple grams. Finding a mold you like is way more important than if a 173 flies better than a 175. There are other variables on putters that can make them different besides weight.

Thats a good deal either way. Even if you get lighter weights, you can give them to kids if they mess you up practicing.

You only need 2 heavy weights to break even. Id ask for heavy weights and buy it and hope.

. But for practice, I think you can use different weight, because you just practice the muscle memory.

This is my theory, too.

I might draw the line at 150-class or kids' superlight discs, but otherwise, I don't think it matters much. I don't even think the disc model matters much, for practice, as long as you're using reasonably-standard putters (not blowflies, birdies, etc.).

This is my theory, too.

I might draw the line at 150-class or kids' superlight discs, but otherwise, I don't think it matters much. I don't even think the disc model matters much, for practice, as long as you're using reasonably-standard putters (not blowflies, birdies, etc.).

Along that line, Simon actually recommends emptying your bag from 150' and then putting with all your discs until you make them all -- so you're practicing with various weights and disc types. It's helped my putting and approach confidence quite a bit, and made me realize putting with a slight anny release results in more consistent results when putting with putters. I like to practice this from about 200' out, but it's the same idea. Another thing is practicing this routine forehand -- most players I know never practice forehand putting and don't do very well in games of strictly forehand horse.

Putting is mostly about confidence. Would it help to have the same putter in the same weight and plastic? I can't see it hurting, but I believe it's more about being familiar with the putting motion in general, especially if you're a beginner

Sounds like you're pretty new. Might be nice to try a bunch of different weights to see what you like best and then stock up after you've determined "your weight".

Along that line, Simon actually recommends emptying your bag from 150' and then putting with all your discs until you make them all -- so you're practicing with various weights and disc types. It's helped my putting and approach confidence quite a bit, and made me realize putting with a slight anny release results in more consistent results when putting with putters. I like to practice this from about 200' out, but it's the same idea. Another thing is practicing this routine forehand -- most players I know never practice forehand putting and don't do very well in games of strictly forehand horse.

Interesting. I occasionally empty my bag on a hole, and play them all out---including the putts. I'm not sure it helps, but it can't hurt. Putting from 30' with a firebird is quite a challenge.

I actually practice putt with a weird assortment of putters. At 20', maybe 25', on level ground with no obstacles or wind, it hardly matters which one I throw.

Then again, my fundamentals are much more variable than these discs.....which is no doubt true of beginners.

Interesting. I occasionally empty my bag on a hole, and play them all out---including the putts. I'm not sure it helps, but it can't hurt. Putting from 30' with a firebird is quite a challenge.

I actually practice putt with a weird assortment of putters. At 20', maybe 25', on level ground with no obstacles or wind, it hardly matters which one I throw.

Then again, my fundamentals are much more variable than these discs.....which is no doubt true of beginners.

Try it for a couple weeks, you get in a zone and it's a very good confidence builder.

Just throwing this out there, and maybe it's just me, but putters within the 170-175g range don't show any difference in performance while putting.

Seriously, you're talking about 5 GRAMS. That's nothing in a putter. For me, it's far more about plastic feel than a couple grams. Also, Wizards FTW.

I'm a firm believer that the only disc that should be hitting chains is your putters. (well, aside from the occasional ace or field ace, lol..) And with that said, when it comes to putting practice I would try to purchase 3 (or more) of the same exact putters and make those your goto putters and then purchase as many practice putters as you can at any weight, any model, etc, etc. And then when you're practicing, throw all the practice putters first for muscle memory memory retention. When you come to your main goto putters dial in everything and make those count.

Just throwing this out there, and maybe it's just me, but putters within the 170-175g range don't show any difference in performance while putting.

Seriously, you're talking about 5 GRAMS. That's nothing in a putter. For me, it's far more about plastic feel than a couple grams. Also, Wizards FTW.

I've seen old glow aviars with their inked weight of 175 weight lose as much as 10g off the weight over the years. I agree that it's mostly about plastic feel and grip than 5-10 grams in weight for me as well.

I may be in the minority here but I'm "OCD" about the weight of my discs (especially putters). As Barry Schultz said in a video I watched "The most intimate relationship a disc golfer has is between him & his putter". I believe in "practice how you play". I use only max weight Aviars. I'm not going to be using a light weight Aviar during a round, so I'm not going to practice with one. I agree a few grams doesn't alter a disc much at all. So I guess I could get away practicing with 170-173g Aviars...I don't though. It might just be because I buy a majority of my discs in person (not online) but I won't purchase an Aviar if it isn't 174-175g.