• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long before you could throw a nice long drive?

Nice necro bump.

I have been hitting 285-300 more often now, and it feels prety darn good.

Nice necro bump.

Right now I'm on a mission to get my Rocs over 400'. I'm getting about 375' or so on a good drive with them right now. I also want to be able to hit 500' with my Destroyers (without a tailwind). I can get them 450 -475' with a fair amount of consistency. Gaining distance seems to be getting harder for me ever since I passed 400' with my drivers. It's all about the little things now I guess...

I was doing terrible for a while about 150 ft then I discovered the sidearm and got up to 200 then I met a pro on a course and saw him throw hudge backhands so I gave it a try and after a while I could throw about 250 backhands now I just practice my forum and can throw sidearm 250 and backhand 300. If it goes too far to the right that's probably because you are spinning your right foot at the end of your drive try to keep your foot flat on the final right footed step.

If it hasnt been said already..

Film yourself throwing and post it up here for review. It helped me soooo much. It gives you something to compare to the footage of the pros who have really good form.
Just keep working at it after you get some feedback and then post another video a month or two later to see if you have improved and also to receive more feedback on how you can get better from there.

SLOW DOWN

That's the best advice to increase your driving distance and accuracy.

I'd the best thing you can do is go to a course that has a ton of wide open holes. I know my first year or so I sucked balls at driving but it was very forgiving cuz I played at a place where a lot of times if the disc went wide either way it didnt end up in to many bushes and such. AFter a while things just start to click.

The other option is to just power down and drive for more precision then power which is actually what Im doing to develop my left hand as I play in wooded courses now. Just use 50% of power and go for more accuracy shots and not worry about distance until you have the right form for it.

How long did it take me to throw 300ft backhand? After 5 throws of ever throwing a disc backhand.

How long did it take me to throw 400ft? 3 months.

How long did it take me to throw 500ft? 1.4 years.

People learn at different paces and in different ways. All I can say is find a local pro or high am and ask for help/lessons. You will learn a lot. Or just ask to play along and have a positive attitude even though they will most likely beat you. Just play along and have fun learning.

Depends on your definition of a long drive. If long is in excess of 300 ft, I still can't... at least with any usable consistency.

How long did it take before you had a decent drive (300ft or so)

Probably about six months or so. I have had about 100' of improvement since I started, with the pace fairly quick at the beginning and improvements coming slower as the distance increased. There were a few small "spurts" in improvement along the way but for the most part just steady improvement. It was hard to even notice really unless I returned to a course that I hadn't played for a while and realized I was reaching baskets that I could not before.

Keep at it, I agree with what was said about everyone learning at a different pace. One day or maybe even one throw you will hit the timing of your throw "close" and the light will come on. After that you will know what to feel for and your throws will steadily improve. Good luck.

Curtis

Well, as late as '98 I was still busting near-100 yd pulls with an Ultimate lid.

Yesterday I popped a 360'+ drive to birdie #13/B at Ann Mo---and then promptly threw the same driver in the drink on #14. Oh, well...:eek:

It(distance) comes and goes with every new epiphany I try and incorporate into my throwing technique. Especially true for LHBH. RHBH(when my elbow's healthy) is easier to simply 'muscle' out there with bad form, whereas LHBH requires my timing to be perfect to get anything to go close to 300'. Don't sacrifice good form for attempts at greater distance. I try to think of it like a free throw in basketball, concentrate on proper technique to obtain success, don't fixate on the distance you're wanting to achieve, concentrate on the physics of technique. Disclaimer: I'm no good, but I'm getting better.

I have been playing since january of last year. I got up to the 250-300 but very inconsistent range pretty quick, say 2-3months. at the time I couldn't throw a mid or a putter more than about 75 because I couldn't grip them very well. most of the courses around here max out at around 300 ft holes but reward accuracy more than anything so I have just been working on consistency, accuracy and putting. my scores are getting competitive enough (not like open competitive, but good for now) and my distance is improving. I'm now throwing my putters 200 ish, my XD out past 250, and my mids around 280. my fairways go about 325 and my wraith 350-375 on a good day.

just focus on consistency. flat level throws in the direction you're aiming. distance will come, but distance does not equal score unless it's accurate.

I regularly beat guys why can flick over 400 feet, because they are all over the map.

It(distance) comes and goes with every new epiphany I try and incorporate into my throwing technique. Especially true for LHBH. RHBH(when my elbow's healthy) is easier to simply 'muscle' out there with bad form, whereas LHBH requires my timing to be perfect to get anything to go close to 300'. Don't sacrifice good form for attempts at greater distance. I try to think of it like a free throw in basketball, concentrate on proper technique to obtain success, don't fixate on the distance you're wanting to achieve, concentrate on the physics of technique. Disclaimer: I'm no good, but I'm getting better.

Throwing ambidextrous BHs seems just incredible. On the rarest of occasions I'll putt with my right hand when the obstacles decide it, but the idea of driving with my right hand is unfathomable. Good for you! :clap:

I am not really successful with driving, I can throw 220' at most in a field. I've been playing for 0.4 years and I'm still not successful.

It took me 2 or 3 months to reach 300.
I got really obsessed and looked up how to get better distance and I played all the time.

1st post.

I've been playing on an off, mostly off for 13 years. My best drives were about 220-265 top end. With a little technique from YouTube I was able to throw 300-310 from a stand still. I need to practice my x-step after some practice.

Plateausville

I've been getting pretty frustrated lately... been playing for about three years, approximately once a week weather permitting. I've been driving consistent 250ft with the occasional 280 and have been for awhile, but can't seem to get beyond that. I know I'm either doing something wrong or not doing something right. I can be pretty deadly accurate when it comes to <200ft approach shots and that saves me, but I wish i could get 30-50 ft more distance off the tee. :\

Latest posts